Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

cylinder head work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder head work

ok. ive been looking into this recently and i have a few questions:

1.) wheres a good place to buy some valves/full valve train for an F22a?

2.) what is it that shops do to the "bowl" of the combustion chamber?

3.) is there any of this work i can do myself? if i can, anyone have any suggestions?

4.) when choosing a head gasket, whats a good thickness to go with? i was looking on bisi's site and saw 3 different sizes. one is 85mm, next is 86mm, and the last one is 90mm. is there a difference?

im looking to do a light build on my cylinder head(cam, port and polish, and some new valves and valve springs) if that helps any. any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Shadow1; 09-13-2009, 09:18 AM.

dag. no one can give any suggestions or advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
      ok. ive been looking into this recently and i have a few questions:

1.) wheres a good place to buy some valves/full valve train for an F22a?
      What kind of valves were you looking for? OS or stock replacements? Bisi has all the valve train parts you'll need.

2.) what is it that shops do to the "bowl" of the combustion chamber?
      They blend it into the throat, and blend the throat into the valve job.

3.) is there any of this work i can do myself? if i can, anyone have any suggestions?
      Highly not recommended, at least not until you have tried on a few heads. Unless you're willing to buy at least $400 in equipment. And that's just the beginning. Knowing where to remove material takes A LOT of math, and a flow bench makes a world of difference. But in my case, butt dyno's, real dyno's and track times will have to do.

4.) when choosing a head gasket, whats a good thickness to go with? i was looking on bisi's site and saw 3 different sizes. one is 85mm, next is 86mm, and the last one is 90mm. is there a difference?
      Go with whatever your motor calls for. 85mm for 85mm bore.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

What kind of valves were you looking for? OS or stock replacements? Bisi has all the valve train parts you'll need.

-just some OE replacements. looking to clean this heaqd up i have

They blend it into the throat, and blend the throat into the valve job.

-oh. id have to learn a bit more to understand that. lol.

Highly not recommended, at least not until you have tried on a few heads. Unless you're willing to buy at least $400 in equipment. And that's just the beginning. Knowing where to remove material takes A LOT of math, and a flow bench makes a world of difference. But in my case, butt dyno's, real dyno's and track times will have to do.

-then i wont try it. lol. i dont want to mess up the spare cylinder head i have. i just wanna clean it up a bit. i found a shop down here that does P&P jobs for like $500+. unless you can give me a better price

Go with whatever your motor calls for. 85mm for 85mm bore.

-i thought it meant the thickness of it. i remember hearing that a thinner(or thicker. one of the two) head gaskets will raise the compression.

Comment

The measurements listed are the bore size of each cylinder.

A thinner head gasket will raise your compression and vice versa. How thin or thick you go, is up to you. Use Cisco's calc to figure out what certain thicknesses will net.

Honestly, I wouldn't put money into porting a head with a stock compression motor. The only thing I'd do is have a really good valve job done to it.

Wed3k gives killer vj's.
          Last edited by d112crzy; 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

most of the time, you can usually get away with remachining the valves.

and yes my VJ services are for sale.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
              The measurements listed are the bore size of each cylinder.

A thinner head gasket will lower your compression and vice versa. How thin or thick you go, is up to you. Use Cisco's calc to figure out what certain thicknesses will net.

Honestly, I wouldn't put money into porting a head with a stock compression motor. The only thing I'd do is have a really good valve job done to it.

Wed3k gives killer vj's.
              thanx for the info man. is there anything i can do to clean the head up myself? make it look new?

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              most of the time, you can usually get away with remachining the valves.

and yes my VJ services are for sale.
              what do you do? is there any performance gain from it?

Comment

It's a valve job. Certain angles are cut onto the seats.

Fact: On a "street" to "mild" port job, the biggest gains are seen through the valve job, not the actual porting.

Even a stock angle valve job will work wonders(pretty much refesh a stock head).

Comment

It's a valve job. Certain angles are cut onto the seats.

Fact: On a "street" to "mild" port job, the biggest gains are seen through the valve job, not the actual porting.

Even a stock angle valve job will work wonders(pretty much refesh a stock head).
                  ah......i see.....i always thought it was the porting and polishing itself. ill be sure to PM him about pricing on that.

Comment

how many miles do you have on the bottom end?

usually when you freshen up the top part, it will seal and take out the next weakest part in the engine.

ive seen it happen on my buddies ae86.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

usually when you freshen up the top part, it will seal and take out the next weakest part in the engine.

lol. dag. well the motor i have in the cb now is an a6 owned by a grandpa. i got it from drummersteve. i think it has like 140k on it. but its in good condition tho. doesnt burn oil or coolant.

if need be, ill rebuilt the a1 block i have sitting in the shed with some new parts.

Comment

You mean like an engine blowing? Never seen it happen and I've done plenty of top end refreshes.

It could have been a coincidence that the bottom end was on it's way out, and having refreshed the top end trapped the gasses in, like it was originally made to be. But by that point, the bottom end was just too weak to handle the extra cylinder pressure.

Comment

You mean like an engine blowing? Never seen it happen and I've done plenty of top end refreshes.

It could have been a coincidence that the bottom end was on it's way out, and having refreshed the top end trapped the gasses in, like it was originally made to be. But by that point, the bottom end was just too weak to handle the extra cylinder pressure.
                          dern. that doesnt sound good. but im sure the block i have in the cb now can handle it tho. its a healthy motor. i havent had any issues with it.

Comment

yea the rings are poo poo on one cylinder, it sounds like it has a cam though.
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

These motors can handle enough pressure to make 250whp, boosted. They're not going to blow because you decided to get a valve job.

Comment

Working...
                              X