Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

f22ax natural aspiration poor boy's build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22ax natural aspiration poor boy's build

I'm starting to put together a list of parts needed.

port and polished f22ax head
    exedy OEM replacement clutch
    f1 racing 11.5 lb flywheel
    bisimoto level 2 cam regrind
    bisimoto intake manifold gasket
    bisimoto pro springs
    ARP h23 head studs
    blacktrax intake manifold spacer
    maxbore h23 plenum & throttle body - purchased
    air boost valve block off plate
    AEM wideband o2 sensor
    chipped p06 ecu

this build is not to make stupid horsepower, but to keep the reliability of the f22 and run a little track time. I still need to look into the crankshaft and bearings, and what type of head gasket to use. I'm not sure how to measure or even what to measure for that matter on both the bearings and headgasket, so this will be a great learning experience for me.

am I missing anything? is something on the list that really doesn't belong there?
    Last edited by ExCoupe92; 11-07-2008, 07:06 PM.

You could check out Hondafan81's threads for comparison.

Red project:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=24996

White project:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26368

Hondafan's Real-World Mild NA F22ax SOHC Project Expense List

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=96024

It's a start.
    3 CB's gone....
    1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Your power goal of 170 whp is realistic, I would like to see this project actually finished and tuned

All the things on your list would be great, but I think you could eliminate some stuff to save some cash and still make 170hp.
      You COULD eliminate the cam gear, pro springs, ARP studs, maxbore TB, and the balance shaft eliminator kit from your list.

Are you porting and polishing the head yourself?
      IF you are planning on putting the motor together yourself, hang out with some engine rebuilders if you can and check out this link http://www.evans-tuning.com/videotec...ine_build.html

Comment

Wow Rex ! That's an excellent site, I'll have to watch those video's tonight. And actually Hondafan inspired me to build the f22 so I know all about his builds haha.

I already have the maxbore plenum and throttle body on my car now, and I absolutely love it. It gave a major increase all across my power band so it will be on the build no matter what. And I figure by the time I get to the point of needing head studs, someone on here will have them for sale.. or at least I hope.

The reason I'm going with the pro spring set also is because of the stage two regrind. I don't want to lose any of the potential energy crushing down a weak spring for the sake of my valves.

I'm getting paid next week. First step is to buy Hondafan's transmission and kc8enb's f22 motor. It is complete minus the intake manifold, but I'm picking it up for a great price!

And then the fun begins

Comment

sounds good,
          I saw "poor boy's build" so I was trying to give some ideas on how to save some cash but it's definitely a good idea to get the springs.

By the way have you thought about trying to locate an H23 or H22 tranny? It definitely makes a difference.

Comment

I did look into that but I'm in Ohio for college right now. And I don't do it often.. but I like to drive home to RI which is an 800 mile drive both ways. I feel like the h23 or h22 tranny will keep me at too high an RPM for such a long time.. for the sake of gas anyways. When I buy another car though I plan to go h23 tranny. just for now.. I think this is how it'll go down.

Comment

Why the OEM pistons

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

for the sake of money and the power.

like I said, I don't want stupid power so I feel raising the compression with the pistons will be suffice. it will actually turn up being like a 9.75:1 from the head being milled once before and I'll be doing it too.

it's been a bitch locating this type of piston though, so we'll have to see.

Comment

why are you keeping it under 10:1 cr? if you go a little higher you can take advantage of 91 octane fuel and get more hp before detonation. if you're buying pistons anyway, you might as well make some more power.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                    why are you keeping it under 10:1 cr? if you go a little higher you can take advantage of 91 octane fuel and get more hp before detonation. if you're buying pistons anyway, you might as well make some more power.
                    Word up. If I am opening my block for any reason, I'm not putting it back with anything less than 11:1 compression.

You are gonna spend the $$$, might as well make the most of it.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

In my opinion, for 170whp, you do not need all these mods. Also, your mod list will not be cheap, by any means. I tell you this from experience.

I told you before in PM's, for your goal you do not need to tap into the block, unless it is already in unhealthy form. Do a leakdown test as-is, if your block is fine, keep it stock. Concentrate on getting a Bisimoto level 2 camshaft, ported F22 head, H23 TB & intake manifold and go from there. Open the exhaust to 2.5" system atleast. Degree the camshaft and get some good tuning done. Mate an Hseries tranny to better suit this motor and you're set. No need for balance shaft eliminator kit, if it was a poor boy's build, just remove the belt. Also, on your valvetrain, if your stock components are fine, then you will be fine with stock. Stock rods will be fine, no need for touching them, same for pistons, as said before leave block alone if healthy.

I also referenced you to a thread of real-world F22 mild NA builds that was recently put together. Take that advice!
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-05-2008, 08:23 PM.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

haha okay! the reason why my hp goal is where it is, is because I didn't want to get the "your horsepower goal is unrealistic" speal. I have never built an engine before so I didn't know what kind of power I could get. What's better? 190, 210?

I just really want to tap into the block. The reason why I am doing this is to learn about engines and KNOW that my engine is perfect. I just want to replace the rings, I want to have to measure the main bearings.. I straight want to be educated like Hondafan. If I have a spare motor, and can still drive my cb7, what a perfect thing !

I have been thinking about the build a lot lately, I'm confident in the parts I have chosen - although of course I am open to suggestions. I'm in college so I don't have all the money in the world, that is why this is a poor boy's build. I have a part time job at Arby's getting paid minimum wage. I figure, each week I can buy something for the build, and Christmas is coming up too.

and I said I want to be tuned for unleaded gasoline. I apologize, I thought only the low grade was unleaded. I want to be tuned on "low grade" gasoline. I think that is around 83 octane? that's why I am keeping a lower CR and I'm not putting 11:1 pistons in. I said my goal is to keep the reliability too. I'm in college, I just want to get through it.

I must say, I have been thinking a lot about the H23 tranny a lot though
                        Last edited by ExCoupe92; 11-05-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

87 octane bro.

also why the cam gear? and remember egr block off plate, ull lose egr control when u go to a p06. does RI have emissions testing?

any why the cermic coating for the pistons?

Comment

lol, you call this a poor boy's build!?

Comment

^^^Wat he said

Ur still in school... no need to spend a semester's worth of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to rebuild the block. Get the F22A fun pack (H23 IM, bs header, exhaust, CAI, and a Bisi cam if u have any $$$ left) and be happy w/that. I know I would love to tear into my motor, spot weld my chassis etc but all that is just not important in the grand scheme of thangs

Comment

Working...
                              X