Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Setup Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Setup Questions

Ok so in a few months, well in the next year, I'm going to build a turbo cb7 or cd5. I'm starting my research now, because I have no experience with turbo, or any other FI. So over my time I will be asking some stupid questions I'm sure, but instead of just throwing stupid questions all over our forum I'll just ask em in here, and when I start my buildup, I'll also include it in here. So, let the stupidity begin...

Is it worth it to go F22B? This was my original plan, and I'm trying to keep things as reliable as possible. (I figured since its more likely to get a low mileage F22B its better to go with that).

I'm trying to gain as much power with the least internal work as possible (I probably just want to go with a DSM setup to get around 280 HP). I'm looking into some head porting, IM porting, cams, and valvetrain upgrades, so far. How attainable is my goal? (it sounds plausible to me).

I live in AZ, specifically Tucson. Its hotter then shit here, except for Dec, and Jan. How hard is it to retain A/C on a turbo buildup, specifically a DSM setup?

If there was any specific reading you guys suggest I do, feel free to point me toward that direction. I've been doing as much reading as I find, but I haven't found as much as I would have liked so far.

And lastly if you guys have any tips for me those would be appreciated as well.

Wow i'm glad to finally see someone who wants to do research before acutally turboing.

not really sure if the B would be any better engine for turbo but if its just the miles your worried about then it doesn't really matter. I would rather boost a 100k mile well maintained car than one with 50k and has been beat to shit.

280 whp on a dsm set up with stock internals seems a high to me. I know it can be done but it takes the 16g turbo and a really damn good tune.

I've done about 3 turbo installs myself and it is possible to keep the AC stuff its just so so so much easier to do it with out. I believe if you decide to keep it you have to move the front lines to the front of the radiator.

I would suggest reading "Maximum Boost" by corkey bell. It explains the ins and outs of turboing. unfortunately its not specific for these cars and its talks about all sorts of turbos and set ups. Also check out sites like homemadeturbo.com.

good luck
    "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
    - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

H22 Turbo Motor

You may wish to check this thread out. However, I would strongly recommend you not have the company in the thread do any work for you. I have personal shorror stories that I can provide you. Also I would contact Accord_SIR who is a member of this forum. Accord SIR has a turbo setup that would also allow you to maintain your a/c.
      Last edited by kamaccord; 09-16-2007, 05:03 PM.
      600HP" 1990 ACCORD LX COUPE COMING SOON

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY 1990 CB7

Comment

If your worried about mileage try and source a f23 block....put the f22a head on it (i think itll work) and whatever intake manifold you want to use....but the f23 can hold boost fairly well and since its a motor that comes in the 6th gens itll be easier to find a low mileage one.

Everything should be fairly cheap....wouldnt cost much more tahn the f22b swap anyways.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty
          Wow i'm glad to finally see someone who wants to do research before acutally turboing.

not really sure if the B would be any better engine for turbo but if its just the miles your worried about then it doesn't really matter. I would rather boost a 100k mile well maintained car than one with 50k and has been beat to shit.

280 whp on a dsm set up with stock internals seems a high to me. I know it can be done but it takes the 16g turbo and a really damn good tune.

I've done about 3 turbo installs myself and it is possible to keep the AC stuff its just so so so much easier to do it with out. I believe if you decide to keep it you have to move the front lines to the front of the radiator.

I would suggest reading "Maximum Boost" by corkey bell. It explains the ins and outs of turboing. unfortunately its not specific for these cars and its talks about all sorts of turbos and set ups. Also check out sites like homemadeturbo.com.

good luck
          Really? Hard to get 280 on a DSM setup? I mean thats with the F22B which is 160 HP to begin with right? Plus headwork, cam, IM (H23 maybe)... I thought I was being generous when I said 280...

Comment

with all the work you said you were planning, I thought 280 sounded like a reasonble number. is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
              Really? Hard to get 280 on a DSM setup? I mean thats with the F22B which is 160 HP to begin with right? Plus headwork, cam, IM (H23 maybe)... I thought I was being generous when I said 280...
              if your going to be swapping a f22b in, the h23 im is the same so itd be pointless to switch the f22b one out

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Like i said the 280 whp is definitely possible, especially with the mods (which i did forget about when posting) I just feel that its a bit high for stock internals especially if you want the car to be reliable.
                "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

as everyone else has said it is possible to keep your a/c one of the reasons why i didn't keep mine was because i was on a time budget had to put the car down friday morn and get it up by sunday night. So pulling the a/c made it easier. But with custom lines or route them to the front ya you should. I plan i puting a/c back in my car but for now im straight winter is around the corner enough natural a/c for me. But ya 280 on a f22b with regrinded cams and 10 psi on a 16g ya i think you can do it. I am pushing about 230 if i had to guess on 9 pounds and i have stock internals soon to get my cams regrinded will probably be sending them out next week for the turbo spec grind. But i like my f22b it has really good top end and i kept the f22a block which is basically the same as f22b and that has good low end. But ya 280 i think is very plausible, whit the right tuning.

But i would say go here to learn how it all works.
                  http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm
                  http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
                  homemadeturbo.com is a good place but most of their set-ups are made for fun and not to last so copying their set-ups may not be what you are looking for but they have some smart ass dudes there.
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

if you want 280 wheel reliable...i wouldnt keep the bottom stock

at the least, i would go with a set of forged pistons. Our stock ringlands will be the first to blow on a turbo setup with a decent amount of boost.

i believe with forged internals, 280-300 wouldnt be a problem on 14-15 psi on a f22b dohc

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                    11.68 @ 127mph
                    417whp/375wtq
                    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

on an f22b, you can hit 300whp reliably(assuming you have a good tune).

But with a small turbo like a 16g, you're probably going to be pushing it's limits to get to 280whp.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

^ what about teh "big" 16g on the newer evo's ?

Comment

same thing basically just better turbines. and most of the time when we refer to 16g its the evo big 16g But ya pistons and rods and you can make 300 easily but would recommend replacing the ringlands while you are down there.
                          ~Nick~
                          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

cant replace ringlands....arent they part of the piston

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                            11.68 @ 127mph
                            417whp/375wtq
                            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

You can replace rings, just like you can replace any other part.

But it'd be retarded to only replace the ringlands.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
                              X