Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Oil catch can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil catch can

just wondering who is running an oil catch can/breather setup? i have read a LOT of threads on honda-tech about the whole concept and the best way of doing this for turbo cars.

It seems the best way is to weld 2 bungs in front of the valve cover, -12an size, and run those to an oil catch can with a filter on top. No drainback.

The part im really confused about is do i need to remove the stock PCV system or block off the crankcase ventelation hole (if our CBs have one)?

Here is one of the threads that is really informative but for a B series engine:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

I heard Dutchaccord is running a catch can. he did a homemade setup. a line running from somewhere to a can. the can is a motor oil bottle.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

I don't know that much about them but I did see the new one from 5zigen.... I did look nice for its purpose... I think they had 2 types one for race read guys and one for street tuners.... You may want to take a look... I did se the one that dutch did.... That was a very cool set-up with the oil-can catch...

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

Here it is. im most likely will do the same setup he did.

miss my turbo cb7
        moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

DIY on here somewhere.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i know how to do it and where to buy one, im asking if we need to seal our crankcase ventilation hole, and if the pcv system gets removed?
            1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Comment

yeah i was wondering too about the other ventilation hole. i left the one that hooks up to the intake alone and i noticed oil shooting out of it. so we sould hook up the two ventilation to the catch can? wut if we are in boost and boost goes in to the crank case would that cause the oil pressure to rise expidentialy? too many questions huh.hehehe
              contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

You will be modifying the stock pcv system. You can block off the other hose, or put a filter there.

The purpose is to keep oil out of the intake. That oil comes from those 2 hoses.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                where you been, is something wrong?
                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Running an oil catch can seems like a MUST for higher hp engines, especially after you spent $4000+ on the motor.

Comment

back from the dead, but im finally putting my setup together (almost a year later lol) and im still confused what lines to block off? I have 2 hoses running from the valve cover to my catch can with a filter on top. Thats it, no drainback, no exhaust slashcut, etc. What hoses/lines do i block off? and is there a pcv system i have to remove?

Comment

here ya go...

here is how I hooked up my setup boosted.

Both valve covers hoses looped to the catch can. (shown in RED)
                      - I just used a "T" fitting where you can see its needed.

Then I got vacuum from the intake piping into the turbo. (shown in BLUE)

Here is a picture...
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

yea i went through the ventilation ordeal too when i was first starting out. Here's what i ran for 2 years before the turbo seals blew (not caused by ventilation)

Vent 1
                        - hollow out the PCV so that its just a 90* vac fitting
                        - run hose from that fitting to closed catch can
                        - run hose from closed catch can to pre-turbo intake

Vent 2
                        - hose from old breather port to catch can with breather

With that setup there was minimal contamination in my compressor housing and in my charge pipes. The only oil i had was from the turbo seals leaking.
                        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

What i may do is add a chamber to the oil catch can seperating the two vac sources.
                          One chamber would be sealed and packed with steel wool to catch blow-by and connected pre-turbo. The other chamber would be connected pre-turbo too but it'd have a open breather at the top for low load conditions.

Thats probably the way moroso and greddy do theirs

That slash method is nice tho, I didn't think of applying bernouli's principle like that.
                          Last edited by MRX; 03-02-2008, 02:11 PM.
                          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, i wanna run the following setup, can someone tell me which holes/ports i need to block or if i need to remove anything, when running this setup:

2 welded AN bungs on the front of the valve cover, 2 hoses running to the catch can, catch can just has a filter on top. Thats it.

Thanks!

Comment

heres mine..
                              necessary parts (around 25$)

Cut my hose from the pcv valve to IM in half and connected the catch can to it

installed

after a few days.. i got some blowby haha i kno!

Ive emptied it 3 or 4 times since i installed it a little over a month ago now.. works good ive definatly saved my IM from gettin all dirrrty haha.. i seafoamed my engine b4 this so i deceded to do the catchcan to keep it cleaner

8 Accords so far:
                              '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                              '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                              (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Working...
                              X