Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

F22 with H22 rods and Eclipse Stroker Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22 with H22 rods and Eclipse Stroker Pistons

Hi there,
    So upon a little more research (after who knows how many hours)...i found possibly an OK piston/rod combination.

Ok, so the Eclipse 2nd gen 4g63 piston with 4g64 crank (stroker combo for 2.3L), is very close to what we need to pair with the H22 rod.

specs.
    Weisco K596M85 (also available in 85.5 and 86)
    $439 85.00mm bore
    Compression height 1.130
    Dome -21cc
    Pin bore .866in

So pin bore lines up, but it has a lower compression height (actually sits inside the cylinder.
    Our Compression height is 1.201. that leaves .071" in the hole.

However, the H22 rod is .061" longer than ours..so using the h22 rod on this piston will give only .01" negative piston/deck height which is not bad at all. So it just sits inside the cylinder ever so slightly.

ok...now with the 21cc dish (a lot more than our stock dish)...we're gonna have a lower compression ratio...as calculated is 8.03:1. Not bad at all for high boost applications.

Anyways, only thing i need to still find out is if valve angles and recesses will work out.

Otherwise we could have a nice combo here for $439 and about $220 for Eagle H22's.

What do you guys think?

Mark

its been discussed here. Theres a huge problem with the valve reliefs. Angle and depth. There was also a problem with the wrist pin bores compared to the rods wrist pin holes diameter. It was decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and just getting forged pistons for the f22 was a safer, less complicated solution. There was something about the piston sticking either to far out or in the cylinder at TDC also i can't remember which one exactly.

Edit: found it...
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=4g63+pistons
    Last edited by MRX; 02-05-2007, 11:31 AM.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

well...to deal with two of your issues...

Stock F22 pins are pressed fit while STOCK eclipse pistons are floating.
      However, H22 rods use floating wrist pins (well at least eagle H22's do)...so i'm 99% sure the wrist pin is the same.

secondly, the piston sticking out the bore...
      this is because stock eclipse pistons do in fact have the different compression height that is much too big (sticking out of the piston).
      however the pistons i listed are for a stroker setup which have to accomodate the longer stroke...hence the compression hieight is much lower.
      It is too low in fact for F22 rods, so h22 rods are the easy solution.

All that said, you could be right about the valve reliefs and angles, but with a 20cc dish, i'm not entirely sure that it would be an issue...especially if stock Eclipse valves are larger and have higher lift than our engines.

mark

Comment

well, what exactly are you trying to do? Change the rod/stroke ratio? End up with forged pistons and rods? Save money???
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

ya...mainly save money by offing cheaper off the shelf stuff.
          H22 rods can be had fairly cheap and the Weiscos are 440 which is pretty standard for any set of off the shelf weiscos.

But, again, i still don't know on valve recesses.

oh well...maybe it's not all worth it. They do have those Forged F22 rods on ebay now for $265 which seems reasonable...but the quality i a little unknown right now (claimed 700hp).

Comment

Working...
          X