Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

keep deltagate wastegate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep deltagate wastegate?

well heres the deal...i ended up buying a used turbonetics delta WG before actually doing some real research about which WG is the best...turns out that i shouldve gone with a tial instead...well whats done is done and i was wondering if i should just try to sell the turbonetics and buy a tial or should i keep it since im still going to get a boost controller (going with greddy for this) which will prevent boost creep? the thing is that i dont want to try to sell this one and buy a tial if its nto going to make a huge differance cuz of the use of a boost controller. thanks for any help

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

it may be too late by the time he comes to the conclusion that the delta w/g sucks. Forinstance he's WOT at 8psi and all of a sudden he's WOT at 22psi and his engine burns some valves and melts some pistons. By that time it'd be too late...doesn't happen often but thats worst case scenario. The normal problem is the wastegate opening too soon or leaking out exhaust pressure b4 you hit your desired set boost . If possible just stick to a more reputable brand. The wastegate is a VERY important part of the turbo setup not something that u should skimp on at all.
    Last edited by MRX; 05-15-2004, 08:57 PM.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

but i thought thats what the boost controller would prevent...boost creep. as far as i know, the boost controller goes before the WG which would prevent your extreme scenario of 8psi creeping to 22psi.

Originally posted by fizzbob7
      first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
      Originally posted by ACC0RD22
      no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
      So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

the boost controller limits the amount of vaccum/pressure/whatever that the wastegate sees through a vaccum line. The spring in the wastegate on the other hand is a different story. When talking about wastegates the setting that the spring is on is where the wastegate will open if there is no boost controller...forinstance my wastegate has a 7 lb spring so if my boost controller fails and stops working (assume i have it set to 10 psi) the wastegate will then open at 7psi. A bad wastegate can either start "wearing" as fizzbob said and opening a couple of psi too soon or it can get stuck and not open at all which is VERY VERY bad. So its not about the boost controller its about the spring in the wastegate and the wastegate opening up the valve at the appropriate time. Now do you have the wastegate yet or no. It will help alot if you are able to look at the valve thats supposed to open

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

I'm researching a way to make a radiator style cap to add after a wastegate. If the pressure gets too high, it'll just pop the cap. When I build my system (on the CB7, at least) I'm going to have as many safety measures as I possibly can!

Comment

sounds ok in theory but actually making a wastegate that does that is a different story. Best of luck tho and its a great idea

Comment

Not a wastegate, just a valve in the piping after the wastegate... I believe it's been done already. I just need to figure out how! It's a simple idea, and fairly crude by most standards. It's a definite failsafe though, so I'd be glad to use it.

Comment

I wouldn't mind something like that somewhere on the intercooler piping. Similar to a bov but would open at a set psi if that psi is reached ya know. This way you just end up running rich instead

Comment

Why can't you get a pop-off/relief valve (like this one: http://www.teamfc3s.org/store/produc...products_id=67)? Yea its >$100 but if your worried about your WG failing its worth it. What it does is, if the boost pressure reaches the amount you set, it will just relieve all pressure in the lines until the pressure is below the set amount. It's a pretty cool device and I think it would work better than the rad cap.
                  -Josh

1996 Accord EX Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                  X