Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Question about vaccume line and boost controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about vaccume line and boost controller

Ok Ive already collected turbo parts and know preety much what to do (setup and all) yet the small things still confuse me? Idk where vacume lines go? Or how many vacume lines I need... Also the boost controller I dont know where to set one up, I am going to take a risk and get a manual one, yet i dont know where it connects to. Can anyone somehow walkthrough, or explain this proccess?

-Thank you.

You're going to need a few vaccuum lines, not too many. You'll need to run on to your BOV, and you'll need to run one to your MBC. Both of these can be run off of the ports on the back of your intake manifold, or T them into an existing vaccuum line. From your MBC you'll run a vaccuum line to the wastegate, and that's all you need to do, unless you're running an FMU, then you'll need to run a vaccuum line to that also.

CB7Tuner member #38

Comment

oic but whats a FMU, and MBC? Also what about this manual boost controller? Where does it hook up to?

Comment

mbc= manual boost controller. why are you taking a chance with a manual boost controller, there just as safe just not as easily adjustable/accessible. fmu is a type of fuel management for boost. manual boost controller hooks up to an intake manifold source, so tee off another line
        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_K
          oic but whats a FMU, and MBC? Also what about this manual boost controller? Where does it hook up to?

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

It goes between the nipple of the turbo outlet and the wastegate.
            1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
            2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
              mbc= manual boost controller. why are you taking a chance with a manual boost controller, there just as safe just not as easily adjustable/accessible. fmu is a type of fuel management for boost. manual boost controller hooks up to an intake manifold source, so tee off another line
              Well I know it sounds very bad of me, but im looking to piece together the turbo with the smallest budget ever. ...and thanks, so my understanding is that the vaccume line from the BOV and "some other" one connects (T's) to any intake line, and the boost controller connects (T's) from the wastegate nipple to an intake line as well.

Comment

If your on that tight of a budget, don't boost. Stuff will go wrong, eventualy.

Also, you don't have to have a boost controller, you can save yourself some cash right there.

Got money to dyno tune? or pay someone to street tune it for you?
                Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                01-01-2019

Comment

No it doesn't go to an intake line. All the wastegate needs to see is boost, so there is no vaccume involved.

Like this

TURBO OUTLET NIPPLE --- MBC --- WASTEGATE
                  1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
                  2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_K
                    Well I know it sounds very bad of me, but im looking to piece together the turbo with the smallest budget ever. ...and thanks, so my understanding is that the vaccume line from the BOV and "some other" one connects (T's) to any intake line, and the boost controller connects (T's) from the wastegate nipple to an intake line as well.
                    parting together a kit is the best idea

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord
                      If your on that tight of a budget, don't boost. Stuff will go wrong, eventualy.

Also, you don't have to have a boost controller, you can save yourself some cash right there.

Got money to dyno tune? or pay someone to street tune it for you?

Ok well my budget really isnt that tight.... I just dont feel like buying a electronic boost controller to save some money. I dont need a boost controller? so does that mean that when i get my ecu modded I can make it have the amount of psi i want? can this be done on a program (uber?)

Comment

The wastegate determines the boost pressure. My tial has a 6.5psi spring in it, so it will always do 6.5psi. Now a boost controller will allow you to raise it further than that.

So whatever your wastegate is set at, is what you'll get, until you get a boost controller.
                        Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                        01-01-2019

Comment

So then how would you set it? ..or is it set while tuning the ecu? and if so i have a 14b what is it set at, or you wouldnt know?

Comment

you set it from the boost controller. all tuning the ecu encompasses is timing/ignition and air/fuel... not boost. all a manual one does is bleed a portion of boost going to the wastegate to trick the car into taking more boost... say you set it at 8 pounds, youre turbo is putting out 8psi and your wastegate is set to 6... the MBC bleeds off 2 lbs of boost so the WG only sees 6, but the engine recieves 8 lbs. Without a wastegate, youre turbo can spin a very high amount of boost... thats what over boosting is.

i hope thats clear enough... basically all a Boost controller does is bleed off boost before it gets to the Wastegate actuator so you can run some extra pounds of boost.

a 14b has an internal wastegate which is set to 8 pounds of boost.
                            1993 CB7
                            2001 BB6

Comment

Oh great well 8pounds is really all i need. So I wont even have to buy a boost controller... Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X