Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

wideband o2 sensors help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wideband o2 sensors help!!

what wideband o2 system do you guys think is the best because i really want to input and i tried searching but this is just for those who tuned their cars themselves????? .............and reading MRX's tuning threads it almost seems like it's better to tune N/A then go turbo and tune how well am i understanding this????
    Last edited by mickey_601; 12-22-2006, 12:54 AM.
    Dont drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly

its better to tune while n/a, that way you have the vacuum section tuned, but when you boost, you gotta tune the positive pressure section. i have a zeitronix
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

i got m-300 price was right great all around thus far.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

I may be wrong...but for N/A do you mean with chargepipes disconnected. Or with an NA header altogether. Because the charactistics of the engine change when you put on the turbo manifold and turbine. Not sure the N/A vaccuum curves are identical to Turbo ones. I could be wrong. Just my thought. As one thing i noticed is the same car with a turbo/manifold at 0PSI is slower than regular NA car with 0PSI, therefore fuel curve should be adjusted to compensate.

anyways, as a start it would be a good idea to get the hang of tuning while NA where it's much safer.

Comment

i like the 300M over the AEM unit bcs its easier to read during tuning (just my opinion)

No projects at the moment... danm

2k20:
          For sale Demon+ tunerview RD2 Make offer brand new in box

Comment

i love my m300.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

thanks for the input fellas

Comment

Why has no one mentioned the Innovate LS-1? Best deal by far @ $200. 2 programmable outputs...1 for the ecu and 1 for a gauge.

As for a gauge, a voltmeter works just fine if you want to see the numbers, but if i was to do it again i'd get one of the ones with the red yellow and green lights.
                You might think i'm crazy saying this, but if you program the outputs appopriately, you can have the colours coded from like 15 to 11 AFR's. The colour indicators are much more noticable in car for if you are running right or lean.
                personally, when i'm running full throttle i don't have time or concentration to look and read the number on the wideband gauge. But if i knew thta under WOT the gauge goes into the green, i would know motor is just fine...
                then if something strange happened like losing an injector or fuel pump or something that would cause you to start running lean you could see the color change to yellow or red to let you know somethigns up.
                Much more useful than the numbers changing from 11 to 15.

Just my 2 cents...

but as far as hardware, the LS-1 is a great unit for the best value. Does everything the others do.

mark

Comment

you mean the LC-1? Mine was 188 shipped if i remember, and its got everything youre talking about... ive got one output going to an a/f gauge, and the other to the ecu...
                  1993 CB7
                  2001 BB6

Comment

Originally posted by mtnickel
                    As one thing i noticed is the same car with a turbo/manifold at 0PSI is slower than regular NA car with 0PSI, therefore fuel curve should be adjusted to compensate.
                    because the turbo car would be at part throttle where as the n/a car is going to be full throttle. I don't know if it's faster because when I'm driving it's either 20-15in or 3+psi
                    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

although part throttle, same atmospheric pressure in the manifold means the same amount of air being sucked in (give or take).

It has to do with the efficiency of the header basically...Properly length'd and diameter runners flow worlds better than the DSM manifold and then through the turbo or tight bend into the wastegate.

This is where the volumetric efficiency of the engine changes and thus the tuning will be different.

Just a thought. Later guys

mark

Comment

just so i get this right i get a basemap and tune with wideband o2 setup but will i have to chip the ecu everytime or can i just use the laptop and tune the car while car is running i read midnight's post and i just want clarity

Comment

To tune real time while it's running you will need an emulator that simulates the EEprom chip. The device is called the ostrich.

otherwise you can take a bunch of readings by datalogging while driving and whatnot, and then adjust your basemap accordingly, pull the chip out, burn it in a chip burner and do it all over again.

After about 12 switches on my chip i got both the vaccuum and boost pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_601
                            just so i get this right i get a basemap and tune with wideband o2 setup but will i have to chip the ecu everytime or can i just use the laptop and tune the car while car is running i read midnight's post and i just want clarity
                            you chip the ecu once.

if you want to make changes while the car is running, you need a laptop, wideband, and ostrich.

if not, then you can use a normal chip burner and burn chips every few runs. you still need a laptop and wideband. there are a few chip burners out there, but the only ones id ever use are the moates burn1 or willems(still kinda iffy on that one, I used it once and hated it)

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I think im the only one with the dynojet wideband and i love it. In fact when others on this board actually saw it they liked it too. a little pricey i got mine for 450 but i think it was def. worth every penny.

We tuned the car on uber before it went turbo to get an idea on how everything was going to work. It was a really good idea to make yourself a little more comfy with the program and what all you can do before you turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X