Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

map sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

map sensor

im rebuilding my jdm h22a engine and i was installing my new skunk2 throttle body...i was looking at tb and there is a place for the map sensor...but on my h22a tb there was not a map sensor and i could not find one on the engine...did jdm h22a have map sensors? i would think that all engines would have to have some sort of map or maf sensor...i did have some sort of black box that had vacuum lines and a sensor...i am going to turbo my motor and was wondering about map sensors...i read on here about 3 bar map sensors...now im guessing that a 3 bar sensor has more adjustablility/can handle more boost than a stock map sensor...i was wondering how much boost a stock map sensor can handle? also if i do swap a 3 bar sensor on, how do i do that? do i keep the stock map sensor and wire to the 3 bar? cuz i noticed that obviously the 3 bar map sensor will not fit on the skunk2 tb...ok so i just read about a missing link...would i use a missing link to run the vacuum line to the 3 bar map sensor? do i even need to bother buying a stock map sensor? here is the link about the missing link: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=map+sensor any other suggestions would be appreciated

It's been said that the stock MAP sensors are good to 10.6 psi, I ran 10psi daily on my stock MAP and never threw a code so I can pretty much guarantee it's good to that point. (18psi spikes that fried the motor didn't throw MAP codes either though)
    1993 Prelude S
    F22A1
    custom'ish turbo setup
    180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
    18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
    currently being rebuilt

Comment

what about a missing link? i read that those protect the map sensor from higher boost levels...

Comment

some motors have the mapsensor thats on the firewall others have it on the throttlebody no need for a missing link you just need 3 wires from the sensor harness to the actual 1 vacuum sorce from off the 3bar and thats it nomore need for the big box. If you have the map that goes into the throttle body jbweld it closed. A missing link is a waste of time imo honestly

Comment

nah man...older honda had map on the firewall and newer honda havem on the tb....my civic ran 3lb boost and dam...it throw a cel all the time because of the boost to the map so i had to run a missinglink thing.....if you need one...i got one for u $10 shipped....its a simple hookup! le me know

Comment

how exactly do yo hook the missing link up? i might need that one ill pm you

Comment

If tuning with some sort of OEM ECU software (uberdata, crome, etc), then i'd just get a 3bar or 2.5bar motorolla.

Risking having no boost control above 10psi is risky...spikes do happen, and you'll be glad your fuel table can accomodate higher boost levels.

Using a boost controller to reduce spool time can cause 11 or 12psi spikes...it's best to have a MAP that reads it.

I have an extra motorolla map sensor that i got for a friend who just instead bought a new 3bar.

I'd let it go for $30 shipped if you want. I also have a crome bin that can run it along with 450cc injectors...great idle and vaccuum tune so far and boost on my 16g stays around 11's...but you'd obviously have to tune your own engine yourself.

Good luck...and the map install is as simple as taping into 3 wires and getting a vaccuum source.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                some motors have the mapsensor thats on the firewall others have it on the throttlebody no need for a missing link you just need 3 wires from the sensor harness to the actual 1 vacuum sorce from off the 3bar and thats it nomore need for the big box. If you have the map that goes into the throttle body jbweld it closed. A missing link is a waste of time imo honestly
                which big box? the evap canister or the charcoal box on the firewall? also do i still need the evap canister if im running a map sensor?
                also would this map sensor work....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem
                Last edited by accord93racer; 03-30-2007, 08:42 AM.

Comment

hes referring to the black box where the vac lines run into.

that gm 3 bar should work fine

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                  11.68 @ 127mph
                  417whp/375wtq
                  Sold: 8/2016

Comment

wowee!! good thing u brought this subject up. ive been looking in to a 3 bar map too.
                    contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

I make the little plate that blocks off the map sensor on the t.b. if anyone is in need of one. afik all obd1 cars have the map on the firewall, and obd2's put it on the throttle body. I'll post a pic of it when I get home...
                      www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
                      http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

Working...
                      X