Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Phempa's turbo build (HELP PLEASE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phempa's turbo build (HELP PLEASE!)

Well, I can just never get enough power.

Turbo sounds damn good to me, so I'm gonna use this thread as a progression thread for parts I rack up for this long build process that will start soon.

I will most likely be getting a part a month, or less depending on how expensive that part is.

I'm a n00b when it comes to forced induction, so please don't flame for my lack of knowledge... some constructive advice and help is very appreciated.

So far, here's how the car stands.

JDM 93 H22a
    Chipped P72 Ecu
    NGK Wires
    NGK Plugs
    5spd Transmission Conversion
    Custom Tranny & Solid Front Engine Mount
    3" intake w/ BIG filter
    Crower Stage 2 cams
    Crower Dual Valvesprings
    Crower Titanium Retainers
    Skunk2 Camgears
    DC Ceramic Header w/ wrap
    2.5" kteller headerback exhaust w/obx twinloop
    Apexi Vafc
    Phantomgrip LSD
    ACT HDSS Kit
    No A/C, No P/S, No C/C

Is that valvetrain/cams combination good for a turbo build with around 10psi?

I know there's gonna be other stuff I need to upgrade to make it a totally safe build.

I'd like some advice on what type of pistons, rods, studs, whatever else to use for this build.

I would like to run a decent sized turbo, but once again... nothing that's gonna blow the shit out of my motor.

I'd also like to try and completely retain my front bumper. I hate how it looks all hacked up for the intercooler.
    Any advice on thin yet efficient intercoolers?

Thanks for all the help folks. I'ma start savin up now. Parts #1 and 2 will be manifold + turbo (purchased at same time).

Cool, welcome to fastside... FI. so what do you need to know?
    Originally posted by deevergote
    I'd eat a baby for free. I'm hungry, dammit!

Comment

read around this section, theres TONS of information floating around.

on the cams tho, can you give the specs on them? there are different opinions on runing turbo cams vs NA cams. but im gona say NA stage 2 cams are a bit too much for turbo.

go to www.homemadeturbo.com read all the stickies at the top of the FI section. search for h22 setups, you will learn a lot.
      Just dont go asking a question as soon as you sign up, they will hate you for it. the flaming we have here is childs play over there.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

so sad to see such an N/a beauty go to the other side

-sean
        Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
        Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Originally posted by 93twodoorLX
          so sad to see such an N/a beauty go to the other side

-sean
          Personally, I wouldn't boost an engine that comes out the factory with high compression. To each their own. Not to mention, thats not what he asked.

However, 10.6 CR and the H22's engine materials doesn't leave much room for error. I would consider rebuilding the engine with forged internals first. That way your setup can withstand any tuning errors.

Comment

yes you need lower compression pistons to get that beast running anymore then 5psi. There are only a few options on pistons without resleaving an h22a. I forgot their names. malie andone other have them.

Comment

Ok, so lower the compression... good advice.

Now, resleeving... what kind of work would that take, and what can I expect to pay for that?

and d112crzy... thanks for the link.
              I have no idea on the specs of the cams... just that they're Crower Stage 2

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa
                Ok, so lower the compression... good advice.

Now, resleeving... what kind of work would that take, and what can I expect to pay for that?

and d112crzy... thanks for the link.
                I have no idea on the specs of the cams... just that they're Crower Stage 2

the sleeves them selves cost around a grand and installation has to be done by a shop and will cost quite a bit.

low comp pistons, forged rods, all the shit really racks up the $$$...its something a lot of the noobs say there gana buy and have installed but find out how much its gana cost and give up on the idea.

u can boost an H w/o doin all the stuff you just gata be careful...get it tuned real well and maintain it well.

befor you boost you should do a shit load of research... theres a lot things u need too know before you go on a spending spree..

w/ the cams....if theres any overlap its not gana go down well w/ mr. turbo

and phempa weren’t you the one w/ the NA>boost in the sig?

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the tips, Mike.

I think I'm gonna buy a spare H22 block and have it to work on.
                  Sleeving is a must... I believe I'll have Golden Eagle do that.

Like I said... this isn't gonna be a fast build.
                  Piece-by-piece for sure...

Shouldn't be totally complete for a few years.

edit: I NEVER had a sig that said NA > Boost
                  Last edited by Phempa; 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM.

Comment

if i were to boost a h22, i would do this. h22, mahle gold series pistons 9.5-10:1. Crower has turbo spec cams, look into those. There is a company that makes regrinds for the h22, the name has slipped my mind for the moment. chipped p28 would be fine as well as cheaper. from there i would work with the actual turbo compilation. manifold, something t3 60 trim or bigger. and no more then 8psi. h22s are making the low end, and with the added boost and that compression, it will be a pretty nice beast

just what i would do, take it or leave it
                    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Kteller.com has a darton sleeve package for the h22a I think it is like 900 bucks for sleeves and final hone. Also they bore it as much as you want. Check it out.

Comment

read my thread

No projects at the moment... danm

2k20:
                        For sale Demon+ tunerview RD2 Make offer brand new in box

Comment

Hey i think the best way to go for builidng an h22 without resleeving is Mahle Gold pistons and eagle rods. You will be able to run nice amount of boost with that setup and the stock h22 sleeves will hold up fine.
                          h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                          New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa

edit: I NEVER had a sig that said NA > Boost
                            o ok nvmd then hah
                            Last edited by Mike; 08-12-2006, 11:56 PM.

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

that was primocb7 with the na>boost.
                              Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                              X