Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Honda pistons or Aftermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda pistons or Aftermarket

I am going to be running a turbo setup soon and I am considering some stock replacement pistons. The max I am going to run is 8 pounds.

Now are the stock replacement aftermarket pistons better than honda pistons with 170k miles?

Or should I just get new rings and use the stock pistons.

i wouldnt be too worried about pistons if youre only running 8 psi...most f stock blocks can take that daily on a good tune... take a look at accord r33's profile
    1993 CB7
    2001 BB6

Comment

Originally posted by bresk8r87
      i wouldnt be too worried about pistons if youre only running 8 psi...most f stock blocks can take that daily on a good tune... take a look at accord r33's profile
      yeah but he almost never womped on his car, my engine crapped out at 10 psi. get probe racing pistons in 85mm with writs pins and locks along with piston rings sold by dh-racing. it can be bought for lie 450 bux. then hone your engine and u shall be good to go
      h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
      New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

You think the ringlands of the stock aftermaket pistons are any better than used honda pistons? I am really doing a budget build and well the price for the piston and rings was like $94 that I seen. The hone I am planning on doing myself. Just I am a lil stumped on the piston issue.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigymb
          yeah but he almost never womped on his car, my engine crapped out at 10 psi. get probe racing pistons in 85mm with writs pins and locks along with piston rings sold by dh-racing. it can be bought for lie 450 bux. then hone your engine and u shall be good to go
          says who? i never bouced off the rev limiter unnecessarily no, but i didnt drive it like a pussy either..

anyway, i would suggest if your replacing pistons anyway, to just get forged ones

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
            says who? i never bouced off the rev limiter unnecessarily no, but i didnt drive it like a pussy either..

anyway, i would suggest if your replacing pistons anyway, to just get forged ones
            x2

If you pull apart your motor just to put stock pistons back in, you're a fuckin' idiot

Comment

I would agree with the forged internal sentiment.

They have pretty much already covered the structural reasons why.

I always look at this way. Don't shoot yourself in the foot to spite yourself.

You have the engine apart anyway, so there is no extra cost associated with putting forged pistons in, in terms of labor cost related to engine work.

So that basically leaves you with an extra cost of about $300-400 bucks because of the price difference.

Now, we are talking BRAND NEW forged pistons vs 170K used OEM pistons. What if the car wasn't maintained and detonated for awhile, or the oil wasn't changed frequently, or the car spent its whole life bouncing off the rev limit?

Without X-rays or die testing, you have no real way of determining the condition of those pistons.

So, lets say you put the used ones in and there is an invisible stress crack in one of the ring lands and it comes apart 1200 miles down the road.

Now, you have to tear the engine back apart (labor is money too) replace whatever is damaged and then put it back together. That all costs money, and you have probably just cost yourself more than you would have just putting forged pistons in it in the first place.

Building something on a budget doesn't necessarily mean building it the cheapest, especially if it is more likely to bite you on the back end, because that usually costs more than it saves.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

this is where i'm getting my pistons
                flatlander racing baby

Comment

wiseco forged pistons for the f22 are around 460 bucks from race engineering, the ringlands are twice as thick as stock pistons. you should be fine with the stock rods, since your doing under 10 psi. forged rods are hard to find for our engines, i got the carrillos, and they were 700+ dollars, but now i can run as much boost as i want, pretty much

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

The main reason why I was thinking of getting new pistons was because the engine that I have burns oil and needs new rings, So I just wanted to know if to use back the old pistons or get the new aftermarket stock replacement ones. The piston and rings set was like $95. I dont want to go and spend 500 on pistons when I can get 3 engines for that money.

Comment

Definitely go with new pistons...if for nothing else for the new ringlands alone. Stock pistons are fine for boost but you don't wanna play when it comes to those ringlands, that's where the drama is for us.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                        The main reason why I was thinking of getting new pistons was because the engine that I have burns oil and needs new rings, So I just wanted to know if to use back the old pistons or get the new aftermarket stock replacement ones. The piston and rings set was like $95. I dont want to go and spend 500 on pistons when I can get 3 engines for that money.
                        Thats too bad...it will probably be the best $500 you will ever spend. If you tear that block apart only to replace it with OEM parts....well, lets just say you should have your head examined.

Since no one is telling you what you want to hear...

Yeah! go ahead, replacing it with $100 stock pistons is an awesome idea! i wish i had thought of that. It will be well worth the money!

there...now you heard what you wanted to hear

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

also realize how much work has to actually go into doing this. honestly i do not see any performance oriented person going through so much work to swap oem for oem. plus after all messed up engines here i thought we came to a concensus that our ringlands arent the strongest.
                          h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                          New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

will the total seal rings fit on oem pistons

Comment

probe rods are less than $300 for f22's might as well do those caues power is addictive and you will need more and more to feed the desire.

Comment

Working...
                              X