Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Sleeve or not to sleeve ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeve or not to sleeve ?

My car has been sitting for about a month and a half waiting for parts from dh-racing. Dave finally shipped them out so I'm getting them friday. I did get Darton oem replacement open deck sleeves from him as well. I started calling around to have these installed and everyone who is close to me seems to either have a 4 week wait - which is out of the question or wants 5-6 hundred to put them in, or both. The job should really not cost more then 360$ for this model of sleeves, real problem is that i just finished paying off my semster of college and i dont have 5-6 hundred to install. I really trust that with kms blockguard and forged pistons and rods i shouldnt have a problem running 1 bar of boost. SUggestions?
    h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
    New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

What i would do if i were you:

Use the stock block you have, put the forged rods and pistons in, leave OUT the blockguard. Honda sleeves can pretty easily take 400whp and beyond if its tuned correctly and if the sleeves were healthy to begin with.

Buy another block on the side for real cheap. Sleeve that and install your rods and pistons in that later down the road.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

i agree with midnite, plus when your piston rings are breaking in they will be all broken in by the time you can afford to re-sleeve...
      My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

I'd probably get new piston rings depending on the bore he went with. I'd be concerned with the piston to wall clearance cause its hard to make 4 cylinders the exact same clearances let alone match another 4 to meet the original 4.
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

so leave the blockguard out for sure, all of teh machine/engine builder shops except jim justice told me to get blockguard or else lol?? well i got good rings and im not boring the engine...its gonna stay 85mm.
          h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
          New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

I was going to say you cant put regular forged pistons into a h22 without sleeving it first but then I realized you have a f22. I would put the pistons in and then get another block to sleeve and block guard. I've got 3-5 f22 blocks laying around as well as a h23 block if you want to one later on down the line.
            Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
            registration is free

Comment

Originally posted by prodigymb
              so leave the blockguard out for sure, all of teh machine/engine builder shops except jim justice told me to get blockguard or else lol?? well i got good rings and im not boring the engine...its gonna stay 85mm.
              you might wana get a hone job done before you install those pistons.

anyways, just do what antoine said, but on this current block, block post.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                you might wana get a hone job done before you install those pistons.

anyways, just do what antoine said, but on this current block, block post.
                block post? as far as the hone job goes-it'll get one friday. Also friday ill tkae pictures of everything i got and make another thread for that.
                h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

yes, block post. an alternative to blockgaurds and sleeves. its cheaper and IMO, its just as effective as a blockgaurd.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_pr...block_posting/

Comment

yes, block post. an alternative to blockgaurds and sleeves. its cheaper and IMO, its just as effective as a blockgaurd.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_pr...block_posting/
                    thanks for the idea, i think i'll pass on ht block posting.
                    h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                    New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

that blockpost seems that it would be better than a blockguard becuase it would restrict less coolant
                      DIY antenna control
                      DIY ghetto short ram
                      Battery Relocation

New Project
                      1984 BMW 533i =DEAD

Comment

Originally posted by MRKIKKOMAN
                        that blockpost seems that it would be better than a blockguard becuase it would restrict less coolant
                        exactly.

Comment

i see the theory behind it, i just dont want to drill holes in my block and sleeves
                          h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                          New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by prodigymb
                            i see the theory behind it, i just dont want to drill holes in my block and sleeves
                            just the block. you dont drill into the sleeves, that would crack them and weaken them. its not as difficult as it sounds. just be careful.

edit

maybe ill do a more thourough DIY when i get around to it.

Comment

just the block. you dont drill into the sleeves, that would crack them and weaken them. its not as difficult as it sounds. just be careful.

edit

maybe ill do a more thourough DIY when i get around to it.
                              gotcha but then it kinda seems that the stress would be unequally ditributed. im just gonna leave it be, open deck for now and see how it works.
                              h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                              New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Working...
                              X