Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

building turbo kit questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building turbo kit questions

Alright I am a new CB7 owner I bought a 91 4dr special edition, converted to manual, rear discs(stock or not?) jg 230degree cam, aem cam gear, msd ignition, blaster2 coil, tokico (shitty) struts, eibach sport line springs, ingalls front and rear camber kits, dc header, tanabe muffler, 2-1/2 " mandrell pipe, 95 leather interior, shaved moldings, stoopid ace paint job,

on to the meat of the thread.... I came across a 1gen eclipse turbo mani for 10 bux

I got a newly rebuilt 14g turbo last wed for my birthday for free

I have 2 audi s4 BOV's i got for like 20 bux

I know I need an intercooler and some piping(I have an 88 conquest too) can I run stock injectors and take the screens out and use a missiing link with a manual boost contoller for now, or what ?

basically I am trying to get some more umpffff out this f22a before I smack in an h22 or something.... I don't wanna spend more than 100.00 dollars on the rest of this shiet ....... I have only paid like 30 bux so far on parts, any direction would be appreciated.....
    WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

i think you could get a set of dsm fuel injectors for no more 50 bucks...they have a 450 cc rating and i know alot of people on here with a boosted f22 have these

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Originally posted by arrozburner
      i think you could get a set of dsm fuel injectors for no more 50 bucks...they have a 450 cc rating and i know alot of people on here with a boosted f22 have these
      I can get some for free thanks, anybody else, I could use MSD retard for boost too right?
      WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

I don't know if you can do it with the msd you have, but they make something for retarding the timing for boost. If you are wanting to go the cheap route then get those injectors and go to a junkyard and get a dsm intercooler too.

Comment

lol...you want to do this for less than $100? If you throw a turbo setup together that isn't properly thought out and haven't had the experience doing so before ( i can tell from your questions that you haven't), then going cheap on everything will show on your setup when your holding fried piston rings in your hands after you run the motor. I'm not being an ass at all nor am i trying to be but seriously the work and thought you put in this is going to show. Your timing has to be retarded about 4 degrees for 8 psi i believe. Finding a downpipe that fits perfectly is probably gonna cover the $100 you only plan to spend. Not to mention the fuel management. You can get away with 450 dsm injectors but those injectors alone will not suffice. They NEED to be controlled with something because you ecu does not know what boost is. You don't want to simply trick it into not seeing boost you'll want to trick it and compensate with the correct amount of fuel. www.homemadeturbo.com ...you've got alot of reading to do if you plan to have your car more than 3 weeks.
          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Basically if you are looking for a little boost for your engine, I don't think you can do it with $100. You will get what you pay for.. just fork out a little more money and you can have a nice small turbo system and you will notice a good difference.

There's plenty of 4th gen owners who have done the DSM turbo system in their car and it turns out perfect.
            Adam - Retired OG member from '03
            2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
            2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
              lol...you want to do this for less than $100? If you throw a turbo setup together that isn't properly thought out and haven't had the experience doing so before ( i can tell from your questions that you haven't), then going cheap on everything will show on your setup when your holding fried piston rings in your hands after you run the motor. I'm not being an ass at all nor am i trying to be but seriously the work and thought you put in this is going to show. Your timing has to be retarded about 4 degrees for 8 psi i believe. Finding a downpipe that fits perfectly is probably gonna cover the $100 you only plan to spend. Not to mention the fuel management. You can get away with 450 dsm injectors but those injectors alone will not suffice. They NEED to be controlled with something because you ecu does not know what boost is. You don't want to simply trick it into not seeing boost you'll want to trick it and compensate with the correct amount of fuel. www.homemadeturbo.com ...you've got alot of reading to do if you plan to have your car more than 3 weeks.

just a note.... www.homemadeturbo.com.... is your proof you can build a turbo project for hella cheap..... quit making assumptions and bring some real shiet to the table next time.... you have no IDEA what I can do or what I know or who I am or what I have at my disposal...... parts are always cheap or free..... i don't spend money to get what I want, I spend time,I ask questions and I am patient enough to wait to get it for the price I want to spend WITHOUT compromising quality ..... if you are patient enough and know the right kinds of people..... (bartering is the key boys and girls).... then everything comes together...... man I feel sorry for you if have spent tons of money on your car to make it how you want it......
              Last edited by da9b16; 03-04-2004, 09:41 AM.
              WAGONS

Comment

Originally posted by da9b16
                just a note.... www.homemadeturbo.com.... is your proof you can build a turbo project for hella cheap..... quit making assumptions and bring some real shiet to the table next time.... you have no IDEA what I can do or what I know or who I am or what I have at my disposal...... parts are always cheap or free..... i don't spend money to get what I want, I spend time,I ask questions and I am patient enough to wait to get it for the price I want to spend WITHOUT compromising quality ..... if you are patient enough and know the right kinds of people..... (bartering is the key boys and girls).... then everything comes together...... man I feel sorry for you if have spent tons of money on your car to make it how you want it......
                I would believe in you if you knew what you were really doing in the first place and had all the knowledge...but you don't. Ask anybody on HMT if they've put together a kit for $130 hell the lowest price i've seen was about $700 and thats because the guy could weld. But no, i don't know what i'm talking about and your right. Cheap out all you want but i hope this isn't your daily driver. I'll atleast leave you with this tip so maybe the car will survive...FUEL MANAGEMENT IS THE KEY do not skip it.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

I would believe in you if you knew what you were really doing in the first place and had all the knowledge...but you don't. Ask anybody on HMT if they've put together a kit for $130 hell the lowest price i've seen was about $700 and thats because the guy could weld. But no, i don't know what i'm talking about and your right. Cheap out all you want but i hope this isn't your daily driver. I'll atleast leave you with this tip so maybe the car will survive...FUEL MANAGEMENT IS THE KEY do not skip it.
                  man this thread is NOT about beef man.... nor is it implied ,as far as knowledge goes you are right.... fuel management is always the key when raising compression levels on any motor..... and yes I have a welder and full service garage at my disposal with some guys who do N/A to forced induction..... I myself have not built one completely, however, I have built plenty of b series and d series motors.... I was merely asking the question...... what has been your experience with a cheap turbo/ foced induction on an f series motor and what did you do to accomplish it and what parts did you use..... by the way man..... I have been building DA integra's for several years and EF's with b series motors.... if you can't bring some valuable info to me about the question above then why are you trippin on my thread? I have seen you in other forums....I am no NOOBIE to honda motors.... been doing this A LONG time.... tie yer shoos up man and quit trippin!!!! I am here to learn and be exposed to as much info as I can.... not start beef
                  WAGONS

Comment

I'm sorry, but didn't anyone notice this guy already has the TURBO, MANIFOLD, BOV's & INJECTORS? He's got half the system already! Now, he might not be able to get the fuel management figured out for 100 bucks, but like he said, he's got "connections", so what's the big deal about arguing over the cost? I'm sure he can find some piping and exhaust for pretty cheap. Like he said, he's looking to build a simple boost setup for a while before dropping in an H22...

Anyways...

Unfortunately, Im' not really familiar with turbo systems, otherwise I'd let you know what to do about the fuel management... But I figure someone on here should be able to just help this guy with that question..... right???
                    -Ryan-

My life is rated R.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 90Accord-R
                      I'm sorry, but didn't anyone notice this guy already has the TURBO, MANIFOLD, BOV's & INJECTORS? He's got half the system already! Now, he might not be able to get the fuel management figured out for 100 bucks, but like he said, he's got "connections", so what's the big deal about arguing over the cost? I'm sure he can find some piping and exhaust for pretty cheap. Like he said, he's looking to build a simple boost setup for a while before dropping in an H22...

Anyways...

Unfortunately, Im' not really familiar with turbo systems, otherwise I'd let you know what to do about the fuel management... But I figure someone on here should be able to just help this guy with that question..... right???
                      [/QUOTE

that is it man thanks.... I might just get an S-AFC my man has one and he is sweating me for my PR3 Spoon chipped ecu.... I got it for 20 bux so 20bux for an S-AFC is still hella cheap.... so all I need is some piping and what not.... you want to know about my abilities ask smaxnz on G2IC....
                      WAGONS

Comment

like i stated before "I'm not being an ass at all nor am i trying to be but seriously the work and thought you put in this is going to show. " I stand by that statement. I'm a nice guy and meant no flaming at all, i was actually smiling during all of it cause i'd like to see it happen without compromising quality. With cost set aside lets get u boosted son.

the following is the absolute bare minimum to get you going:

turbo exhaust mani - have but needs to be redrilled, you will have to remove your front engine mount also and maybe even sand down your block becase
                        the turbo might be touching it. This also needs to be braced to support its weight and the fact that it will be slightly weaker due to drilling. I've heard
                        you can use a 92-96 prelude front engine mount so that u can atleast retain complete engine support
                        turbo - have
                        wastegate - internally set at 8 psi i believe( i'll have to double check but i know its not below 8 psi)
                        boost controller - will only work for boosting above 8 psi because the spring in the wastegate will open at 8 psi regardless
                        downpipe - Needs to be custom made most likely. And make sure the flange easily connects to the cat. It'll make life alot simpler when you take it off.
                        Short air intake - Just cut some metal and slap a filter on it.
                        Intercooler piping and clamps- can come off any turbo car
                        Assorted nuts and bolts
                        intercooler - dsm smic would probably be the cheapest and most effective for the price.
                        Bov - have but hopefully it wasn't taken off the intake piping
                        450 cc injectors - have
                        Fuel management options - You'll almost have to get something to add more fuel besides the injectors. Your ecu doesn't knwo what boost is nor will it know that your using
                        bigger injectors and simply tricking it will not work. You'll need some kind of fuel compensation but be wary of your fpr and fuel pump because those injectors will be asking
                        for alot of fuel that they can't supply for long amounts of time. Cheapest thing you'll find that'd work would be the very first generation of the AFC. If you get the SAFC2 then
                        you won't have to worry about map blocks.
                        map blocks (missing links) - U can use fishtank check valves. I think u need like 2 for every 5 or 6 psi your asking for ( i think...search hmt for that one) $5 a piece i think
                        gaskets - needed between the head and manifold, turbo and manifold, turbo and downpipe, then downpipe and cat
                        ignition retarding - have cam gear for that set ignition retarding of no less than .3 degrees but u won't need anymore than .5 degrees per pound of boost (try the stock timing tho if it works then keep it or get it dyno tuned for the best results)
                        boost gauge - U can trust the wastegate on this one, but it'd be very wise to have one(very very wise)
                        oil line - Stainless steel is the best see if u can find one...i actually don't know of any other alternatives but it has to be long because our oil pressure unit is in the back of the block.
                        return line - Might still be connected to the turbo if not gank one then
                        oil pan will have to be drilled and tapped for a new fitting for the return line. Tap the highest point on the oil pan u can find but not too close to the turbo.
                        vaccum hoses and "t's" - collect off of other cars.
                        Last edited by MRX; 03-04-2004, 08:35 PM.

Comment

add ngk step colder spark plugs
                          you may also want to do a compression test to see how the block is holding up

Comment

add ngk step colder spark plugs
                            you may also want to do a compression test to see how the block is holding up
                            alright man, now we are talking.... I have almost everything except some injectors and the check valves for teh map sensors, I am gonna get 3 and add one at a time till I get it right...

Now let me tell you what my car really has and what parts I have......

I have a 91 Special edition with an f22a6 in my car converted to manual.... I have rear disc brakes with slotted rotors for braking and I have MSD 6AL with blaster 2 COIL, AEM cam gear, JG cam, Unorthodox underdrive pulley, etc, etc, etc, I have landed a BRAND new V-AFC for free( thanks Dustin)!!!!! and I have a couple of intercoolers at my dispoal.... I have a GALANT VR-4 and a Mazda MX-6 ( thanks Cezar and Sergio)both of which were free..... I also already checked into the check valves and I am trading some parts for them and I am getting some other goodies...... DSM injectors blue tops, boost gauge and air fuel gauge.... etc...(Thanks Ronnie and David)

Onto the next piece of good info... I landed an f22a2 for 50 bux (Thanks for the hook up Matt and whatever that kids name in san anonio is that you got it from.... WADE????) it is missing the dizzy but SO WHAT.... so now if something happens I can put another motor in for hella cheap...

.... so I am only spending 50.00 to finish my Turbo Project and that is for another motor (just in case I fail at not blowing my a6 up) HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!!

.... I have the cam gear so I can adjust timing from there and I can run the V-AFC hack and I should be fine..... I have a friend who is doing this and he was boosting fine with the fuel set to -40. I think I have it all worked out just a matter of getting it on now.... I will post up when it is done.... I have my little girl the next 2 weekends but the weekend after that is when it all goes down....my daughter comes first...
                            Last edited by da9b16; 03-09-2004, 09:54 AM.
                            WAGONS

Comment

I am gonna try to use stock fuel pump.... if not I will go ahead and get a wally fuel pump......
                              WAGONS

Comment

Working...
                              X