Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Boost leak problem & other ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boost leak problem & other ?'s

Well the other day I was flying along in 4th gear in boost, and all of a sudden the boost just fell off along with a whoosh of air. So I went home just thinking it was a charge pipe problem. Now I have t bolts on all the hoses, and I still have a boost leak. I checked all the vacuum lines, and hoses/clamps, and I can't find a leak anywhere. I haven't installed my boost gauge yet so I'm not sure how much pressure I'm getting, but it feels like maybe 3-4 psi at most. What else could possibly be wrong??? Should I go over them all again or is there something else it could be?

Also, I was wondering what I should gap my plugs at because I'm about to get some new ones, and I forgot what to set them at. While I'm on the topic, what sort of effects does changing the plug gap have?

.28 on the plugs get coppers, helps prevent the flame from being blown out, also check your couplers for tears and double check them, I blew one off once and it took me awhile to find it, and a buddy of mine tore his and we did'nt notice it at first
    ricers make baby jesus cry

Comment

Originally posted by skinnye1
      .28 on the plugs get coppers, helps prevent the flame from being blown out, also check your couplers for tears and double check them, I blew one off once and it took me awhile to find it, and a buddy of mine tore his and we did'nt notice it at first
      I was also gonna tell him check those couplers. They rip and you would never be able to see it.
      Last edited by KillerCam282; 12-20-2005, 11:46 PM. Reason: my crappy spelling.

Comment

yeah i have my plugs at .029 and i definelty suggest getting a boost guage even if its cheap and crappy and temporary. cheapest one is a pep boys fuel pressure guage my friend used it before for boost lol and it worked fine
        h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
        New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

can't you get sunpro ones at autozone for like $20 plus guys on www.homemadturbo.com are always selling them for hella cheap
          ricers make baby jesus cry

Comment

I have one and an oil pressure gauge all ready to install, but I wanted to find this leak before I put them on. I have a question about them that I forgot to ask too while I'm at it. The boost gauge has 3 wires, red, black, and yellow. I know the red is for 12v, and black is ground, but what is the yellow one for? On the oil gauge the yellow one is for the sensor, but I don't know what it could be for on the boost gauge. Maybe to hook up to some sort of electronic sensor on a car with a factory turbo? I don't need to use it do I?

I'll go over all the couplers and check for tears. I had one before, but I found it pretty easily. Damn cold weather ....

Comment

My guess would be that the yellow wire is for the lighting-just hook it up to the parklights, Although that would mean the oil pressure gauge should have a wire for that to . . . .
              They both the same Brand?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

also check your exhaust stuff (manifold. wastegate, etc..) any leaks in that stuff can cause a loss in boost as well

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                  My guess would be that the yellow wire is for the lighting-just hook it up to the parklights, Although that would mean the oil pressure gauge should have a wire for that to . . . .
                  They both the same Brand?

Yeah, they are both the same brand. The yellow one is the sensor on the oil so I just wasn't sure why it was on the boost gauge too. They are adjustable like 7 different colors or something so I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with that. I'll make sure to check all the exhaust stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                    also check your exhaust stuff (manifold. wastegate, etc..) any leaks in that stuff can cause a loss in boost as well
                    A whoosh in air tho...exhaust leaks are too easy to find.

Comment

the yellow wire is probably a switched 12V source like evil_demon was saying. One constant, and one switched. Listen to the other guys on the leak
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                        the yellow wire is probably a switched 12V source like evil_demon was saying. One constant, and one switched. Listen to the other guys on the leak
                        Switched 12v source? Can you please elaborate? I don't want to wire it wrong and screw stuff up. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
                          Switched 12v source? Can you please elaborate? I don't want to wire it wrong and screw stuff up. Thanks.
                          Like the parking lights. Anything that can be turned off and on. If you would like you can wire up a switch and turn you gauge on manually.

Comment

check for a leak in the manifold or for other shit like ehhh what kinda wastegate do you have is the diaphram okay that shit causes problems too. I had a problem like that with the boost cut,also check for crackin the in the mani not to mention all your couplers and see if it opens up when in boost because soemtimes the clamps on the couplers get weak unless you got the t-bands like i do on my setup which last a long time.

Comment

I've gone over all the couplers and vacuum hoses, and they are all fine. I checked the turbo, and it has a little shaft play. I don't know if maybe it's going out or what, but would that be enough for me not to get boost at all? I'm going to have to take off the whole thing and check the manifold too.

Comment

Working...
                              X