Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Bhg #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bhg #2

well this week i blew my head gasket again. 2nd time on my new motor with only 3000 miles on it. I think i know why it went this time and the previous time.
    Ok, stock bore of the F22a is 85mm. My motor is 85.5mm. My pistons also stick out of the block .030"
    Even though my pistons fit through the OEM f22a headgasket, i think it rubbed it. When i blew the 1st one i noticed it looked like cyl. #1 piston rubbed the hg.
    when i replaced it i noticed even on the new gasket it had a little imperfection in the same spot...
    I talked to a few old drag race guys a while ago about this. They told me that if the piston does touch the hg, it will leak right there. And thats what happed the 1st time.
    So heres my fix.
    I'm going to install a head gasket off a 2000 accord 4cyl vtec F23 thesemotorsarfe 86mm bore. The only difference in the gaskets is the bigger bore, and it also has a few steamholes in it, which the F22a doesnt. It will be fine. The only think i'm going to modify on the gasket is 2 holes on the passanger side of it that are not cut out. Im going to cut them out like the F22a one.
    I also ordered a set of ARP H23 head studs. This should be the last time i'm going to be changing this.
    Before i built this beast of a motor i knew i had the possibility of having this issue. Well i have it and i think this is the fix for it. So, thats it.
    Peace
    12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
    11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
    F22a1
    60-1 td06h turbo
    Darton mid sleeves
    85.5 wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons
    Crower pro billet rods
    Custom ported head.
    KMS valves
    F23 headgasket
    ARP H23 headstuds
    H23 upper intake manifold
    F22a6 lower intake manifold
    Intake manifold is gutted
    AEM EMS 1040u
    FIC 850cc injectors
    Walbro 255 pump
    H23 manual trans
    Prelude shifter assembly
    Forbidden short throw
    Nitrous Express Kit installed, never used on this motor

are u against copper hg's?
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
      are u against copper hg's?
      They are pretty good.

Comment

every single person i've know who used a copper hg always had major coolant leaks...
        i think you need to o-ring every single coolant passanger and the cylinders for a copper hg to seal...
        12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
        11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
        F22a1
        60-1 td06h turbo
        Darton mid sleeves
        Crower pro billet rods
        Custom ported head.
        KMS valves
        F23 headgasket
        ARP H23 headstuds
        AEM EMS 1040u
        FIC 850cc injectors
        Walbro 255 pump
        H23 manual trans
        Prelude shifter assembly
        Forbidden short throw

Comment

Originally posted by fast93accord
          every single person i've know who used a copper hg always had major coolant leaks...
          i think you need to o-ring every single coolant passanger and the cylinders for a copper hg to seal...
          Sounds like those people do not believe in using torque wrenches. I used them in a few different applications and they were great.

Comment

they also sell a somewhat performance oriented HG on importperformanceparts.net. Supposed to hold up to like 30psi or somethin.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

well i put the ARP h23 head studs in, and put on the new F23 head gasket. I noticed the coolant passages in the F22, and F23 were slightly different. I did drill 2 holes in the gasket on the passanger side, they were completely blocked off, but on the f22 they were open...
              Car seems to be running good. No bubbles in the coolant resivoir as of yet... If it does blow again i think i am going to try a copper hg...
              I also took out a little timing at 15psi to play it safe... and are going to start using the lucas octane booster all the time...
              12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
              11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
              F22a1
              60-1 td06h turbo
              Darton mid sleeves
              Crower pro billet rods
              Custom ported head.
              KMS valves
              F23 headgasket
              ARP H23 headstuds
              AEM EMS 1040u
              FIC 850cc injectors
              Walbro 255 pump
              H23 manual trans
              Prelude shifter assembly
              Forbidden short throw

Comment

cool, keep us updated

Comment

Working...
                X