Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

to boost, or not to boost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to boost, or not to boost...

ok, i am 61.84723424891234729057925932745297% that i want to turbo my car. in the mean time, i want to start getting my car ready for boost, so that i keep problems to a minimum. so my question is: what parts can i install on my car right now that will help once boosted, but if i decide not to, i won't have blown the money.
    for example i know:
    a new clutch and lightened flywheel
    a new ecu (p06)
    a short ram intake
    oil catch can
    an a6 intake manifold? (how much would this help the turbo? and will it work with the p06)
    and i was wondering, for a good setup, how much can i expect to pay? i was thinking that it will cost around 3k with a new exhaust and clutch. let me know if i am right.
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted. this is by far the biggest car decision i have to make.

also i was wondering: what parts don't really have a large difference between the high priced brand name items and the cheaper products? like the short ram...

Comment

Only thing you NEED out of that list is the PO6. New clutch won't hurt because you'll most likely be burning yours out a little. You should be able to get the clutch bought and done for around 350 and the exhaust should be alot cheaper. Look to spend around 1000 for a pretty descent dsm setup with a front mount. Or you could buy from R33 and have no hastle

Comment

You won't need the intake. You will only need a filter.

Comment

WHAT ONLY $1000???? holy shit! but the clutch, flywheel, and exhaust is gonna be another $1000. plus i want to have all the extra goodies like the turbo timers and stuff. and does it matter what kind of intercooler i get? like is there a huge difference between greddy and ebay intercoolers? and out of that list what parts could i possibly put on my car right now? would the a6 mani work with the p06 ecu?

Comment

Couldnt tell you if the P06 will work with the A6 but I'm pretty sure it will. How is a clutch and exhaust going to cost you 1000? You only need an axle back and a straight pipe. PS you dont need the flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by jd1
              Couldnt tell you if the P06 will work with the A6 but I'm pretty sure it will. How is a clutch and exhaust going to cost you 1000? You only need an axle back and a straight pipe. PS you dont need the flywheel.
              nope the p06 cant control the a6 manifold YET. the mad scientist (midnite) is working on it though.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                WHAT ONLY $1000???? holy shit! but the clutch, flywheel, and exhaust is gonna be another $1000. plus i want to have all the extra goodies like the turbo timers and stuff. and does it matter what kind of intercooler i get? like is there a huge difference between greddy and ebay intercoolers? and out of that list what parts could i possibly put on my car right now? would the a6 mani work with the p06 ecu?
                Get a JRC intercooler. Turbo Timers are nice, I got my greddy one for $90shipped i think. Try a f22a1 manifold with a p&p.

Stuff you can do now...
                Fill Motor Mounts
                Get a boost gauge/install
                Upgrade Drivetrain(If you feel like it)
                Air filter

There is not too much you can do before you need to turbo
                Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

I would definately upgrade the drivtrain to handle the extra horsepower. Mainly just an aftermarket clutch with a higer clamping force than the OEM unit. Also, be careful with a DIY port and polish. If it is done incorrectly you can make things worse in terms of efficency, and flow characteristics.
                  I pooped a hammer!!!

Comment

i'd say boost it, and there's no way in hell you can do it for less than $1000. there's a huge list of stuff you will need and i almost guarantee that you will have to rebuild your turbo, just fyi. you will need to upgrade EVERYTHING if you wanna go fast.....it's not cheap. trust me. buying r33's kit will help you a lot, since you don't have to look for everything....which is the worst part. also if u have the stock motor, good luck. imo too many miles. u need a motor in tip top shape. hmm here's the list
                    turbo (i had to rebuild one)
                    mani (custom drilled)
                    bov
                    o2 housing ( i had to have a custom one made)
                    compressor housing
                    replace all gaskets (including head)
                    new plugs, one step colder (thinner gap)
                    racing clutch and flywheel
                    catch can(s)
                    old cai (for after intercooler)
                    intercooler of some sort (jrc or dsm)
                    almost need a battery relocation kit for smic
                    if fmic need 90 integra radiator (courtesy of gdout), remove wiper washer reservoir for charge pipe (gdout)
                    a BUNCH of silicon connectors
                    A WHOLE BUNCH of t bolt clamps (if u don't want a headache)
                    some generic straight aluminized pipes
                    some u bends
                    oil lines (kit or diy)
                    jb weld
                    o2 bung
                    zeitronix zt-2 wideband o2 sensor
                    uber chipped po6 ecu
                    f22a basemap
                    boost gauge
                    turbo timer
                    a good muffler shop to make your downpipe
                    exhaust
                    cat (i'd go legal if u can)
                    flex pipe
                    255lph walbro fuel pump
                    synthetic oil
                    super unleaded
                    laptop
                    btw u'll need a dremel and a whole buch of cutting bits
                    a hacksaw
                    a bunch of metric tools from 8mm to 23mm
                    time
                    MONEY

im sure there's a whole bunch of stuff i'm leaving out. honestly, your best bet is asking eric if he'll piece a kit together for you, send antoine a po6 and some money for chips and labor, and get on ebay and this site all the time. it's a bunch of stuff, but it is totally worth it if u ask me. good luck everyone! i can tell you it's not that hard, but it's not easy either. basically, you will run into a lot of small problems (like oil leaks, and wasted gas, and blah blah blah) patience is another thing you will need. if there's any way i can help just ask.
                    Last edited by iamanonymous; 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM.
                    I hate thieves!

Comment

Originally posted by Shownngon
                      Also, be careful with a DIY port and polish. If it is done incorrectly you can make things worse in terms of efficency, and flow characteristics.
                      not suggesting he do it himself, send it off to the proper shop to have it done. There is just some stuff you don't want to do yourself
                      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by StrungOutPunk
                        Might wanna look into doing compression test and change your timing belt too.
                        isn't bad i don't even consider doing a compression check on my engine. It has less then 40k on the motor and the inside is really clean
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                          isn't bad i don't even consider doing a compression check on my engine. It has less then 40k on the motor and the inside is really clean
                          yeah buying a jdm motor is the best way to go
                          I hate thieves!

Comment

man dude i am now 99% sure i am going to do this!! i can't remember the last time i was so excited for anything!! i pretty much knew that it couldn't be done for under 1k, i was hoping to get it for about 1500 including some goodies like the turbo timers, boost controllers, and then a new clutch, a resurfaced flywheel, and an exhaust for 2500. just wondering but is there a such thing as a turbo back exhaust that is applicable for our cars??
                            Last edited by flacopower; 03-29-2005, 12:06 AM. Reason: overexcited

Comment

check out kteller.com for turbo back exhaust
                              Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                              X