Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake

this may seem like a noob question or something, but I don't know. I was looking through the members rides just looking at the turbo ones, and noticed that only 1 of the 3 I look at had a air filter on it. Why don't you guys run filters?
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

its like running open throttle boddie for n/a cars it just flows better no restrictions
    www.2camcrew.com

Comment

Open throttle body? That's rediculous. No restriction, sure, but you need that length, otherwise... somebody that knows something about airflow chime in here.
      -Jay

Comment

running open TB on an NA car is not good cause its sucking in MAD hot air.

Turbo cars are okay as long as they have little screans or whatever, because the air is getting circulated through an intercooler.
        H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

i run a filter...but when i tell u theres a difference in power between off and on

I MEAN THERES A DIFFERENCE IN POWER lol!
          Faster spool, torque steer from a roll and howling through the top end like a bat outta hell kinda power.

I'm gonna run a screen probably, i hate having to take the battery tray out to clean a damn air filter. Another thing, most of the pix u see don't have intakes on the turbo's cause it was just to get a clean shot of the turbo ya know. Most ppl do actually run one
          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

i have one. its so dirty im not sure how any air at all is getting through. i think im gonna go with a screen as soon as all the salt and stuff is washed off the roads and spring hits

-accord r33
            "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
            - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
              running open TB on an NA car is not good cause its sucking in MAD hot air.

Turbo cars are okay as long as they have little screans or whatever, because the air is getting circulated through an intercooler.
              I thought the filter was suppose to filter out all the dirt and crap, so why is a screen ok? Doesn't the engine get a build up of crap in it form not running a filter...
              Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                I thought the filter was suppose to filter out all the dirt and crap, so why is a screen ok? Doesn't the engine get a build up of crap in it form not running a filter...
                anything that passes through the turbine blades that are spinning at 120,000 RPMS is uaually atomized. thats why water injection works

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                  Or damaging your turbine blades.

Factory turbo cars run air filters for a reason.
                  thats what the screen is for

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

its like this, even with a screen on the turbo it'll last for about 60-80k miles or roughly 4-5 years. By that time its gonna need a rebuild anyways, not to mention most of us would be pushing 240k+ miles on the engine lol. But yea steve b i think your right some of the dirt particles can and will hit the blades causing wear and tear faster

Comment

meh.. dont wear t3h condom guys.. run that bitch open! lol... but what R33 said is true... most of the shit is atomized anyway.. what.?? u dont think dirt gets passed ur air intake filter?? if the particle is small enough it will.. same with turbo.. if the particle is small enough to get get confetti sp? by the blades.. it will get past it..

nothing some sea-foam cant cure!! lmao

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

unless the turbo sucks in something big like a leaf its really not THAT big of a deal ya know
                        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Since MRX says there is a HUGE difference in power between having a filter or not, I'm gonna do the best of both worlds. Run a filter daily, and then weekends(or whenever I plan to race/dyno) I'll run a screen. After I get used to it I will probably end up running a screen permantly, because I plan on upgrading to a big 16g, maybe even a 20g this summer. THanks for all the input, cleared a lot of things up
                          Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

on our 6.5 turbo deisal we run no filters just a peice of screen with a hose clamp holding it on. And much more power

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
                            bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

Working...
                            X