Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22 or F22 Turbo???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 or F22 Turbo???

Im lost and confused LOL . I have both motors but do not know which to use. Unfortunately due to school and other things purchasing another car is out of the question for now. So my question to the audience is.... Which should I turbo? My jdm h22a (which is already out the car ready 2 be rebuilt) or my f22a??? Lol I just need a push in some kind of direction, these are both great motors with awesome potential but unfortunately I can't do both so I'll let cb7tuner choose for me. Thanks

An h22a sounds beautiful when it hits vtec, but a turbo f22a makes killer power.
    My MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200048

(Turbo lag - turbo power) + HYPE = VTEC

Bought From: Davids92Accord

Sold To:

Comment

Well if you already have an H22 ready to be rebuilt, why not turbo it while you're at it?

No need to rebuild your H22 then pull your F22 to turbo. Seems like twice the work IMO.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Exactly thats what I was thinking since the h22 is already out I should just rebuild it for boost and turbo it that way I can take my time with it and make sure everything is perfect before I drop it in

Comment

Also fyi just so everyone knows the h22 doesn't need a rebuild its a low mileage jap spec motor I bought (originally for all-motor purposes but I'm just too addicted to snails lol) but I'd just rather use forged internals for boost
          Last edited by TuneAccordingly; 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Stock internals won't hold boost for long. And even a low mileage "jap spec" motor is still old. That low mileage probably means it's been sitting on a shelf, unused, for the past 10 years.

If you want to run forged pistons in the H22, you're limited to Mahle Gold Series pistons due to the FRM sleeves, unless you resleeve it.

The F22 has iron sleeves, which will accept most standard forged pistons.

Either way, the stock sleeves won't hold a ton of boost, so if you want to go over 18-20psi, you'll definitely want to sleeve (I'd consider sleeving around 15psi, personally... although the turbo size also comes into play... psi isn't exactly universal across the board considering the variety of turbos you could use.)

Honestly, do what you want. IT'S YOUR CAR. Either engine can make more power than you'd ever need in a street-driven FWD car. Just pick one, plan the build carefully, and follow through. Don't cut corners. You'll end up with a great motor.

Personally, I'd build the F22 for turbo, and drive around with the stock H22 in the meantime. The H22 is fun in stock form, and should keep you happy while you're building the F22 (so you can take your time and do it right.) Just don't start modifying the H22. Put your money and effort into the F22.

Comment

Yea thats what someone suggested to me when I first purchased the motor and in a way I kind of prefer that because the h22 is already pretty quick in stock form so just in case something happens where I have to go back n/a or just choose to go n/a (which I will be doing eventually with this car after I graduate and get settled) I'll have a fun reliable motor to cruise around in without the need for excessive modding

Comment

Drop in the H, build and boost the F. When the F is boosted and running strong, build the H for N/A. Seems like a no-brainer to me, if you plan on having this car for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Drop in the H, build and boost the F. When the F is boosted and running strong, build the H for N/A. Seems like a no-brainer to me, if you plan on having this car for a long time.
                  and then buy a second chassis and drop it in!

"is it a boost day? or is it a N/A day?"
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Yea that was the plan from day 1 lol i guess I'm just going to have to find another chassis for the f22 lol its a good thing I dont have to pay out of pocket for school I just need to put in a few more hours at work

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                      and then buy a second chassis and drop it in!

"is it a boost day? or is it a N/A day?"
                      Lol I like the sound of that

Comment

fuck the h22. they spin rod bearings, smoke and are expensive for parts. usually need exhaust valve guides and seals and sometimes prematurely wear rocker arm components and have LMA issues.

forged pistons, cheap H beam connecting rods, rebuild the head and tune the turbo setup. itll stomp h22's all day long.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

IMO Honda's philosophy is N/A, moreover if it's a VTEC! but if you look for more easy power with turbo do it on the F22!
                          -Sorry if my english is bad, i try to improve it and do my best to be understood
                          -Soon, you will come back to live...

Bought from: Jack Lee ,Tommi ,408cb7 , xkjnboix

Comment

Lol seems like everyone is for the single cam, no love for the dohc vtec turbo

Comment

Lol heres a thought......how about I just continue with the stock block build (project single cam slam) and after that fails or I finish school next year whichever comes first I swap in the h22 and rebuild the f22 for some real power ......any takers???

Comment

Working...
                              X