Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How long will a boosted stock motor last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will a boosted stock motor last

hey im deciding whether or not to boost my stock motor and wanted to know how long it would last at 5-6 psi with an FMU...maybe you guess could let me know....its hard to find an H22 around my parts of town or eles i would probably do that.then a turbo on top of that

but maybe a little boost would be fun for a while...
    nick

out of all the members on here who has turbo, I don't think many of them are blown yet, unless they push for 14 psi!!

At low psi (7-9) the motor should last a long time given good maintance, care and oil change.
    DON"t use FMU, get a urberdata ECU chipped from midnight or accord r33

-Henry
    Last edited by i_love_cb7; 03-06-2005, 10:16 PM.

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

do they have to be tunned or whatever, how much do they run and how do you use/ install them...
      thanks
      nick

Comment

You should really check This out it helps all of us.
        H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

accord r33 (eric) ran 195 whp on the dyno I think, but do a search....

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
            You should really check This out it helps all of us.
            pwned there is definately plenty of turbo talk on here bro...keep the PSI low and you should be good. Boost happy = death

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq
            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Wastegates are for pussies.... The skies the limit bro!
              My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

i dont want to sound like a dick..but search around the site for a while. learn about whats going on in a turbo setup, and you will find out someday that the actual stress thats put on the engine isnt as much as people make it sound e.g... if you double your whp, you are NOT doubling the stress on the motor. turbo makes its power at mid stroke where there is virtually no stress on the rods. a lot of people dont realize that. The stress on the engine is more related to RPM than cylinder pressure. engine stress is a direct function of RPMs, stress = change in rpms squared. in other words, if you increase your RPMS by 3 times. the stress on the engine will be 9 times as great. So in other words, a N/A car reving to 10,000 RPMs is more likey to break (without proper internal work) than a turbo car. I know this is a little beyond the scope of this thread, but its a common misconception that should be cleared up.

"boost doesnt kill engines, detonation does" <---- a semi true statement. while boost will put extra stress on the eninge, with proper tunning the engine will be able to handle it without a problem.
                Last edited by Accord R33; 03-07-2005, 12:28 AM.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

plz explain "detonation" while we're at it.....

Comment

Originally posted by i_love_cb7
                    plz explain "detonation" while we're at it.....

detonation occurs when the pressure and heat inside the cylinder make the fuel explode before the spark plug sparks...the explosion is completely uncontrolled and is very damaging to the cylinder walls and pistons. there is more too it but thats a basic explination. Its probably the worst thing that could happen to your engine internally. THIS is what boost causes when not tunned properly, and THIS is what kills the pistons and cracks blocks. high RPMs and aging are usually cause for broken and bent rods.

the higher the octane in the fuel, the less chance of pre-detonation. thats why its good to run 93 on a turbo setup.
                    Last edited by Accord R33; 03-07-2005, 01:03 AM.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

I'll add to that.

Detonation is as r33 stated. It is an erractic, uncontrolled, combustion of the air/fuel mixture. Suppose ur running set amount of boost and are running a low octane fuel such as 87 octane. Well while the piston is traveling upwards in the combustion stroke the amount of pressure from this boost causes a rise in air temperature. Every octane has a certain kernel point at which it ignites. With the aid of increased air temperature and heat from the kinetic motion of the pistons detonation is much more likely. It sounds like marbles rolling around sometimes. Sometimes its very light sounding sometimes it can be like this sparratic jumping of the rpm's at a certain point in the powerband. Detonation usually occurs at the max torque of a motor because this is where the maximum cylinder pressure is achieved. At this max pressure your octane requirement and the amount of fuel will be tested and if you use something like uberdata and a wideband for ur engine u can actually follow along the fuel lines and see the max torque assuming your a/f curve is very flat. Fuel actually cools the cylinders and drops the likeliness of detonation. Theres a couple of ways to prevent detonation and the easiest way is to have a high enough octane rating (93) and run around a 11.5-12.0 a/f ratio. However there is a balance of power and control of the combustion. Adding too much fuel will lower power output but conserve reliability. Running lean 12.6 a/f and up for boosted applications creates alot of power but can be catostrophic at times. Another way detonation occurs is by "blowing out" the spark. This means the increased air flow is actually so high that the spark jump doesn't occur. This condition leaves lots of air and fuel in the cylinder...uncombusted. And as the piston travels towards top dead center the pressure increases and the mixture may ignite erratically. The spark plugs job is to start the burning of the fuel in one place and then let it spread out through the cylinder...when it gets blown out the burning happens in many different places and forces start acting against one another causing higher pressure, thus heat, and exceeding the octane requirement.

Ways to prevent detonation is running the ignition slightly more retarded than normal (retarding too much causes high egt's and the heat transfers into the block creating detonation also...ha)
                      Run rich with a/f ratios of 11.2-11.7
                      Keep your air charge temps low with smooth bends in the charge piping and a good intercooler
                      Gap your spark plugs down to about .028 unless you have an ignition system that is strong enough to not let the spark be blown out
                      Use synthetic oil to cause less friction and in turn less heat
                      Keep your cooling system up to or past par
                      Run high octane gas

Correct fuel is the most important by far tho. For more info please search for "fuel 101" made by me on this board
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

well thanks for the help guys....i kind of get lazy sometimes and forget to search the site before posting new threads...but thanx for the responses..i will do some more looking and very interseting in your kit R33..just need to save some money right now....

thanks guys
                        nick

Comment

Yo... where is the post I made in this thread this morning?
                          My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Working...
                          X