Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

mechanical/electrical gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mechanical/electrical gauges?

What is the difference between electrical and mechanical gauges? I am gonna get a boost gauge, but don't know what is best. Is the accuracy off on one, is it reliable?
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

nvm, I did some searching and found it over on honda tech. Heres the link in case anyone else wants to know. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=119819
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

just to let ya know..electrical is not as accurate. I run a manual boost/vacuum gauge..it's quite nice. But, for my oil psi, and soon to be fuel psi gauge..i run electrical. I don't wanna run that stuff up into my area, cause it can get messy..my volt gauge is..erm..mechanical? lol jk..it's electrical..duh! The electrical gauges also might "flicker" around, or move when your care bounces..so yea..mechanical is best!

-A. Swift
      CB7 member number 137
      Black Doubt Crew member #2
      Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

actually, that's good to know. I was gonna get an electrical boost gauge, but now I might get mechanical, it saves money too. But for Fuel Pressure and other gauges run electrical? How hard was it to install the mechanical boost gauge?
        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

That boost gauge, for me..makes a difference..I mean..what gauges are you gonna run? for me, I run Faze. So, my boost gauge has a 270 degree sweep..30 vac, all the way up to 30 psi. It is acurate..so I know if it's 7psi, or 8spi..and that can be a breaker when u are getting up towards 10-11 psi, ya know? For me, and the oil/fuel psi gauges..a mechanical gauge, U must run the fuel or oil to the gauge..unlike electrical, where it's hooked up to a sensor on the block, with a sending unit. My buddie's oil line broke, towards his gauge, and it got all over..not fun. Plus, it's hard trying to hook those up. The vaccuum/boost gauge is easy, cause u just tap it off of a vaccuum line. I read somewhere that u want it tapped as close to teh throttle manifold as possible..just get one of those 3 vaccum lines on the passenger side of the throttle mani, and cut it.t off of it, and done..easy as pie..then, all you gots to hook up is the power, ground, and the illumination..

-A. Swift
          CB7 member number 137

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

Ill probably run autometer or some name brand gauge. So you just disconnected a vacuum hose from the manifold, and connected the gauges vacuum hose to the manifold where the old vacuum line was? Wouldn't you want it in the charge piping so you can tell if the pressure is backing up because the BOV isn't working?
            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

btw, your a tire tech? This is off topic, but what would be better for daily driving, has long tread life, but is pretty grippy, Yokohama yk420 or Bridgestone Potenza g009?
              Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

lol..i gotta change that..I no longer work at tires plus..i work full time as a mechanic at saturn..but, i do know tires. Those bridgestone's i would pick...

-A. Swift
                CB7 member number 137

Comment

that's what I've been told. Looks like I'll get those as soon as the ones I have made it completely bald.
                  Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                  X