Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo with A/C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo with A/C?

Is anybody running a turbo setup with A/C?

Iv'e searched but havent found any setups like this..

It's possible.

Just take measurements and fab up a manifold that will clear a/c (and p/s if you still want it too).

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Midnightrayne, gdout90accord.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

It'll probably take a custom manifold, almost definitely require removing the front motor mount (or replacing it with the ESP mount), and you might not be able to run a very big intercooler, if you can even get a front mount one at all. (it'll be kinda hard to run the tubes to go around the A/C and to an intercooler. As you can see with those pictures, the turbo is practically in the center of the car, it'd take some weird pipes to get it to the front driver's side and run a big intercooler) This could be the kinda time where a custom hood would work nice though.

Comment

The best way to clear for A/C would be buying a logstyle manifold. Revhard and Turbonetics manifolds for the F and H series work but you are "limited" to how much power you can make safely without boost spiking. If you are power hungry and expecting to make over 350+.... these manifolds are not the wise choice and it's better just to ditch the A/C.

Boost spike does not feel good at all and will kill you motor in time....
          My friends greddy GSR didn't take a liking to it and he got rid of the car after it had problems when he maxed out the kits efficiency far beyond what it was supposed to do. Manifolds are important part of your kit and will partially set the limit on what ur motor will be capable of.

I'm working on my H22a turbo project and I really want to keep A/C and I have a custom old style log manifold. The new design of the typical log manifolds can be bought on e-bay and have the wastegate in the center (like the logstyle above) This makes sure the runners are getting flow equally. The old revhard style has the wastegate portion above the 3rd and fourth runners which makes the 1st and 2nd runners further out of reach as far as flow. If you are boosting for the 300-350HP area as the revhard/turbonetic were designed then you will be just fine.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
          JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
          1994 Prelude V-Tec
          1999 CL 3.0
          2000 Prelude
          2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
          1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
          1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
          1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
            It'll probably take a custom manifold, almost definitely require removing the front motor mount (or replacing it with the ESP mount), and you might not be able to run a very big intercooler, if you can even get a front mount one at all. (it'll be kinda hard to run the tubes to go around the A/C and to an intercooler. As you can see with those pictures, the turbo is practically in the center of the car, it'd take some weird pipes to get it to the front driver's side and run a big intercooler) This could be the kinda time where a custom hood would work nice though.
            When you have built a turbo F22 you input might help.
            Your input in the above statement is full of lack of understanding.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Look in the engine bay and see how much room there is to work with. If either of the above pictures were F22s you might see how those setups appear to go right through where the front engine mount would normally be.
              Some people find it best in situations with small amount of room to build upwards, in which case you could use a bulged hood and make ever so slightly more room (same way that Eclipses made room for their large cam gears)
              I was wrong about the intercooler, you can get the pipes to reach it even with the A/C, but it's not as easy
              Your best bet if you really wanna run your air conditioning is most likely to remove the power steering and relocate the A/C pump to the power steering pump bracket (may require some modification) and figure out how to either line it up with its original belt on the crank pulley or with the power steering belt on the crank pulley. If you line it up with the power steering belt you'll need a new pulley on your A/C pump though to make it have the same size ratio with the large half of the crank pulley as it had with the smaller part of the crank pulley.

Comment

Look in the engine bay and see how much room there is to work with. If either of the above pictures were F22s you might see how those setups appear to go right through where the front engine mount would normally be.
                Some people find it best in situations with small amount of room to build upwards, in which case you could use a bulged hood and make ever so slightly more room (same way that Eclipses made room for their large cam gears)
                I was wrong about the intercooler, you can get the pipes to reach it even with the A/C, but it's not as easy
                Your best bet if you really wanna run your air conditioning is most likely to remove the power steering and relocate the A/C pump to the power steering pump bracket (may require some modification) and figure out how to either line it up with its original belt on the crank pulley or with the power steering belt on the crank pulley. If you line it up with the power steering belt you'll need a new pulley on your A/C pump though to make it have the same size ratio with the large half of the crank pulley as it had with the smaller part of the crank pulley.
                Both of those are F22's / H23's which are the same anyway
                Most CB turbo setups require a custom front engine mount reguardless of A/C - thats a know fact
                Ic pipes with A/C is different by about 1 inch
                Last edited by evil_demon_01; 02-23-2010, 07:35 AM.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

i've kept PS and AC without doing ANY modifications to either system, and only needed to notch the front mount about 1sq. inch. log manifold.
                  also running the piping was insanely easy and straight forward, only needed to ditch cruise control and washer fluid.

old H23;

new F22;
                  Last edited by twokexlv6coupe; 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM.

BB2F22-T3super60:250hp/275lb-ft @10psi

Comment

Originally posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
                    i've kept PS and AC without doing ANY modifications to either system, and only needed to notch the front mount about 1sq. inch. log manifold.
                    also running the piping was insanely easy and straight forward, only needed to ditch cruise control and washer fluid.

old H23;

new F22;
                    noooo not the washer fluid. you need that shit.....
                    ps i would suggest going costom made mani.
                    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
                      noooo not the washer fluid. you need that shit.....
                      ps i would suggest going costom made mani.

lmao

i've since FULLY deleted PS, and since i'm getting a DD pretty soon, then i'll delete the remaining AC, ABS, and fusebox, weld all extraneous holes shut, and MAYBE wire tuck. then i'll keep turning the boost up, she how much abuse she can handle (while building a motor on the side) and once the motor is out, get a paint job including the engine bay. mmmmmmmmmmmm

BB2F22-T3super60:250hp/275lb-ft @10psi

Comment

Are there any well known places that make good custom manifolds??

Comment

b18c8 bumpin this b

Comment

Originally posted by accordboi77 View Post
                            Are there any well known places that make good custom manifolds??
                            Originally posted by accordboi77 View Post
                            b18c8 bumpin this b
                            Why are you asking a question about manifolds, in an A/C thread?

Go see Bisimoto, he makes great manifolds.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post

old H23;

new F22;
                              I noticed you had the half radiator.....I thought A/C was not possible with those, that it only had enough oomph to cool down the engine. How does it work?
                              '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                              If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Working...
                              X