Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Kits and Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Kits and Compression

So it's not long til i order my turbo kit.. And i've heard mixed information in regards to compression.. Hoping you guys could clear it up for me

Basically i want to run 7-10 PSI, will i or won't i need to change the compression in my F22A?

If no, what level of boost can the F22A (stock internals besides Stage1Cam) handle up to, i heard rumours of 14 PSI before stuff starts to break

If yes, can i run a small level of boost (Say 5 PSI) on stock compression but need to alter the compression to increase boost?

All help appreciated~
    Built & Boosted.

Stock compression for the F22a is 8.8:1, very boost friendly. 10-12psi on a T3/T4 will be very reliable for daily driving with a good tune.

You shouldn't be as concerned with psi but rather airflow. A small 14b turbo is going to flow far less at 10psi than a T4 at the same pressure.

I wouldn't worry about changing the compression ratio, as long as the motor is in good condition you shouldn't have any issues.

-Kyle
    SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
    -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

now when you say order my turbokit.. were exactly are you getting it from...

be informed with the downfalls of a ebay turbokit if thats what your looking at

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

i heard 6-12 psi on an F22a

Soon to have the first *Bottle Fed Accord* in MI!

Vouch For: fatboy1185

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16 View Post
          now when you say order my turbokit.. were exactly are you getting it from...

be informed with the downfalls of a ebay turbokit if thats what your looking at
          I'm buying an eBay kit, yes (Unless i can find a better alternative, sofar no).. And replacing the Wastegate and BoV's straight away
          In time i'll replace the Turbo aswell, but there's no hurry.. If it blows on me it won't damage anything much, unlike the BoV and Wastegate
          Last edited by Jccck; 11-23-2009, 11:53 PM.
          Built & Boosted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jccck View Post
            I'm buying an eBay kit, yes (Unless i can find a better alternative, sofar no).. And replacing the Wastegate and BoV's straight away
            In time i'll replace the Turbo aswell, but there's no hurry.. If it blows on me it won't damage anything much, unlike the BoV and Wastegate
            That eBay turbo will do you no good at all, turbofan won't last long, wastgate is trash, so is the BOV, piping, exhaust manifold....the only good thing on those kits are probably the intercooler....other than that, its no good. later

Comment

Originally posted by pedroalcala View Post
              That eBay turbo will do you no good at all, turbofan won't last long, wastgate is trash, so is the BOV, piping, exhaust manifold....the only good thing on those kits are probably the intercooler....other than that, its no good. later
              You definetly sound like the crowd of people that bash these kits without actually ever messing with one head-on..

To correct your false statements..let me say this..

The ebay kits arnt entirely bad..if your willing to overlook the manufactures lack of quality control when making these parts..

The wastegates arnt bad..its the underpaid moron who assembled it..that's bad..

Most of these things either come with dual springs(14+psi) or the diaphram isn't seated properly from quick assembly..

Same goes for the bov...sometimes dual springs are used..when its not needed as most won't be running the psi to require dual spring(help keep the bov from bleeding boost)

The tubulat manifolds are garbage...

The cast manifolds on the other hand are not..they work very well surprisingly

The piping..well its aluminum pipe..really? Cmon...

The couplers..arnt the best..but will work when clamped properly

The tbolt clamps...work..but don't go he-man on them..or they will break..

Lastly and most importantly..the turbo..

Their usually hit or miss..but even the "miss" turbos..just usually require a properly torqued down shaft nut..to eliminate the excess vibrations under operation..as I've received a kit(for a customers install) and the compressor bolt was hand-tite..some loc-tite and a proper torque sequence and she was back in business..and is still running today on a SR swapped 240sx..running 15psi daily..

Longevity? Its all on how smart you are about things..the journal bearings on these things are by far up to par..but will work and get a good lifespan if treated like a puppy...meaning proper cool down after hard runs(turbo timer)..regular oil changes..(duh)..and most importantly..an oil restrictor..to decrease the psi the CHRA is seeing..thus increasing the lifespan of the rear and front seals..from blowing out and destroying the turbo..

Hope this helps..

Last edited by WiKKeDV16; 11-24-2009, 02:28 AM.

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

You definetly sound like the crowd of people that bash these kits without actually ever messing with one head-on..

The ebay kits arnt entirely bad..if your willing to overlook the manufactures lack of quality control when making these parts..

Most of these things either come with dual springs(14+psi) or the diaphram isn't seated properly from quick assembly..

Same goes for the bov...sometimes dual springs are used..when its not needed as most won't be running the psi to require dual spring(help keep the bov from bleeding boost)

Their usually hit or miss..but even the "miss" turbos..just usually require a properly torqued down shaft nut..to eliminate the excess vibrations under operation..as I've received a kit(for a customers install) and the compressor bolt was hand-tite..some loc-tite and a proper torque sequence and she was back in business..and is still running today on a SR swapped 240sx..running 15psi daily..

Longevity? Its all on how smart you are about things..the journal bearings on these things are by far up to par..but will work and get a good lifespan if treated like a puppy...meaning proper cool down after hard runs(turbo timer)..regular oil changes..(duh)..and most importantly..an oil restrictor..to decrease the psi the CHRA is seeing..thus increasing the lifespan of the rear and front seals..from blowing out and destroying the turbo..

Hope this helps..

damn good shit
                Out of a job yet? Keep encouraging people to buy American. 500 of the biggest, most profitable American companies make more than half of their profits overseas! You Jackass!

Comment

Thanks loads for the feedback, especially you WiKKeDV16!

I know i'm gonna love this project, and the results it'll give!
                  Built & Boosted.

Comment

Results I had were 251whp and 249wtq ebay t3/t4 turbokit with cast log manifold..@11psi
                    Last edited by WiKKeDV16; 11-24-2009, 12:37 PM.

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Remember you're prolly gunna need to get bigger injectors with the eBay kit.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                      I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Results I had were 251whp and 249wtq ebay t3/t4 turbokit with cast log manifold..@11psi
                        Sounds alright, what other engine modifications besides the obvious?

Originally posted by Ander View Post
                        Remember you're prolly gunna need to get bigger injectors with the eBay kit.
                        Ofcourse!
                        Built & Boosted.

Comment

Nothing..bone stock f22a6 with 210k on the ticker

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Hope this helps..

it's funny you say this. i have a few friends that turbo charged their f22a on their civic. they kept telling me that the only problem with the e bay turbos is that many people do not use an oil restrictor. i didn't know about the shaft nut, but hey i learned something new. lol....
                            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

its just a precaution..yeah..oil restrictor is a must..and a good oil return..so that oil sumping never occures

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X