Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

sleeved block question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleeved block question

There's a guy selling an h22 sleeved block close to my house for a good price. I was wondering if there's any way to tell if the block has been properly sleeved to an untrained eye? Or would someone who knows how to sleeve a block be able to tell if it has been done properly? He says it needs deck and hone, and the guy who s,leeved has experience, but I just don't want to buy a something that is messed up. Thanks

SOLD!!
    Boosted H22
    375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ers/index.html

This shows an in-depth look at FRM sleeves, bout as best as I can do. Awesome read, a must buy for all H series owners. That issue may still be on shelves so look for in case they take it off the site. If you want to see what regular steel sleeves looks like, just google it for any engine and you should be able to see the difference.
    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Depending on the sleeve type, you'll definitely be able to tell it was sleeved. Some are just plain obvious, but some arent'.

Like that article says, if they're stock sleeve, you won't be able to see a cross hatch. They also have a weird color to them, unlike normal sleeves have the regular metal look to them.

Post pics if you're still unsure.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
        Depending on the sleeve type, you'll definitely be able to tell it was sleeved. Some are just plain obvious, but some arent'.

Like that article says, if they're stock sleeve, you won't be able to see a cross hatch. They also have a weird color to them, unlike normal sleeves have the regular metal look to them.

Post pics if you're still unsure.
        I'm looking for ways to know whether it has been sleeved correctly, I don't doubt that it has been sleeved, but I want to make sure it was done right. Since the block still needs to be decked and honed I know there is still work to do, but I just want to be sure the block is sleeved correctly....he is also adding carillo rods, arp head studs, cometic h/g, and high compression weisco pistons that he said could be milled down, but I would just sell them

SOLD!!
        Boosted H22

Comment

No way to tell really. Put coolant in it and pressurize it and see if it leaks.

Comment

No way to tell really. Put coolant in it and pressurize it and see if it leaks.
            o.k thanks Jose! One more question if you were selling a block that you claimed was sleeved would you allow a potential buyer to put coolant and pressurize it?

SOLD!!
            Boosted H22

Comment

At the customers cost, sure.

Comment

At the customers cost, sure.
                of course

SOLD!!
                Boosted H22

Comment

Take a precision straight edge and check to see if the sleeves are level with each other.

Check in the crankcase for leaking epoxy. Fill the coolant jacket with windshield washer fluid, check for leaks. Thats about all you can do.

And check for cracks in the block.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
                    Take a precision straight edge and check to see if the sleeves are level with each other.

Check in the crankcase for leaking epoxy. Fill the coolant jacket with windshield washer fluid, check for leaks. Thats about all you can do.

And check for cracks in the block.
                    O.K thanks...the dude seems kind of shady, as soon as I said I was going to check it out he sort of became a little defensive wondering why I needed to check it first before I buy it.

SOLD!!
                    Boosted H22

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
                      O.K thanks...the dude seems kind of shady, as soon as I said I was going to check it out he sort of became a little defensive wondering why I needed to check it first before I buy it.
                      he must have something to hide

-->751 whp @ 27psi <--...Midnight Tuning <----

Comment

Originally posted by MR.PHIL View Post
                        he must have something to hide
                        yeah, as I keep talking to him the worse it's getting. Seen it all too often

SOLD!!
                        Boosted H22

Comment

yeah, as I keep talking to him the worse it's getting. Seen it all too often
                          i know how that feel bro, but i'd say go with your Gut feelings .
                          mind if i ask ,how much was he asking?

Comment

Originally posted by MR.PHIL View Post
                            i know how that feel bro, but i'd say go with your Gut feelings .
                            mind if i ask ,how much was he asking?
                            he was asking $1K canadian for the sleeved block, carillo rods, arp head studs, cometic h/g and some high compression weisco pistons one of which he has milled down to a lower compression. Not a bad deal at all, but if the block is fucked then it's not much of a deal

SOLD!!
                            Boosted H22

Comment

he was asking $1K canadian for the sleeved block, carillo rods, arp head studs, cometic h/g and some high compression weisco pistons one of which he has milled down to a lower compression. Not a bad deal at all, but if the block is fucked then it's not much of a deal
                              but if he won't let you do any test then fuck him,
                              i wouldn't take that chance .

Comment

Working...
                              X