Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Failure Due To Contamination

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Failure Due To Contamination

I had my turbo check and found that that my turbo oil was contaminated.Means that dirt, metal, etc was being feed to my turbo. The contamination mess up inside my turbo housing (its no good no more), the jounal bearings, the compressor back plate were the piston rings sits(leaking oil) All this happen because something was in my oil.

SO i was trying to figure it out, why it happen. SO i got to thinking, why would my oil be contaminated when i have a filter. Then i realize about the oil adapter plate that i have hook up.

The outlet ports on the adapter doesnt get filter. THe adapter outlet ports are before the filter so the oil flow to the turbo feed line never gets filtered. Thats why i was getting oil contaminated. SO i will take mines off, soon as possiable. If u do decided to use one, get an inline oil filter for your turbo.

Members Ride thread

You do realize that, that oil adapter was to install oil temperature and pressure gauges, not to use as oil return/feed lines right?
    Last edited by FDAccord; 06-16-2009, 05:32 PM.

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

Originally posted by FDAccord View Post
      You do realize that, that oil adapter was to install oil temperature and pressure gauges, not to use as oil return/feed lines right?
      U can use it for turbo feed line, but u have to realize that the oil is not flowing through the filter, it bypass it. So u have to use a inline turbo oil feed filter.

Members Ride thread

Comment

I wouldnt use it as a feed. There are other sources where you could have tee'd off of. The sandwich plate is best for gauges only if not coolers. Only thing they are good for. I would run one...Sounds like its user error but thats me. Usually I clean those things out thoroughly whenever I get them since I have found out most ebay stuff is cheap.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

You do realize that it's not the sandwich causing it right? If there's metal in the oil, that oil will get to the filter eventually. Either your filter is so clogged that it doesn't even filter the oil anymore, or your motor is in bad enough shape that it keeps producing oil shavings.

There's absolutely no reason as to why an engine should be producing oil shavings enough to ruin a turbo.

I'd check into that first before going off and blaming the sandwich plate.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

You also didn't mention what kind of turbo, or whether or not you used an oil feed restrictor, or anything. There is a lot more diagnosis to be done here. There are a lot of things that can cause a turbo to destroy itself. Who is to say the shavings weren't from the turbo eating bearings?
            Originally posted by sweet91accord
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
              You do realize that it's not the sandwich causing it right? If there's metal in the oil, that oil will get to the filter eventually. Either your filter is so clogged that it doesn't even filter the oil anymore, or your motor is in bad enough shape that it keeps producing oil shavings.

There's absolutely no reason as to why an engine should be producing oil shavings enough to ruin a turbo.

I'd check into that first before going off and blaming the sandwich plate.
              Motor is a a rebuild motor, so its in good shape,it has 30,000 miles on it now, and the turbo thats on it is a second one i bought. The turbo oil feed line that is connected to the oil adapter its not feeding it filtered oil. ITs feeding it directly from the oil pump. The engine oil filter is after the adapter. And with turbos ,the guys at Turbo exchange( a turbo rebuilder) said it dont take much to mess up a turbo, and they been doing this before we was born so they know what they taking about.

Members Ride thread

Comment

^very true.

I used a forced performance in line oil filter and ran my oil feed line off the sandwich plate. Now all 4 of my pistons ringlands exploded in one day, but given enough time that filter would have been full and clogged restricting oil flow. I was planning on changing my oil every 2 months and cleaning the filter when I did this, but looking back on it I'll probably not run through the sandwich plate again.

I don't think it was your sandwich plate that caused it. How long have you ran your turbo on that feed line?
                Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                  You also didn't mention what kind of turbo, or whether or not you used an oil feed restrictor, or anything. There is a lot more diagnosis to be done here. There are a lot of things that can cause a turbo to destroy itself. Who is to say the shavings weren't from the turbo eating bearings?
                  ITs a jounal bearing turbo with no restrictor on it. If it was from the turbo bearing it self, that would mean that i prob had oil starvation( no oil going eating to the turbo). BUt that wasnt it, i took it to a turbo shop and they diagnose it. They said it was oil contamination. And from some research, my oil adapter that was feeding my turbo was not getting filtered. And the turbo shop that been rebuilding turbos for years says it dont take much for a turbo to mess up with oil contamination.

Members Ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                    ^very true.

I used a forced performance in line oil filter and ran my oil feed line off the sandwich plate. Now all 4 of my pistons ringlands exploded in one day, but given enough time that filter would have been full and clogged restricting oil flow. I was planning on changing my oil every 2 months and cleaning the filter when I did this, but looking back on it I'll probably not run through the sandwich plate again.

I don't think it was your sandwich plate that caused it. How long have you ran your turbo on that feed line?
                    The turbo i have on it now is a turbo i prob been running for 6 months. The sandwich plate inself didnt mess up my turbo. its just the oil coming from the sandwich plate is not filtered.Oil is feed to the oil filter through the little house on the outside, then comes out in the middle to the engine. See the oil thats being feed to the filter is the same oil going to the turbo, unfiltered oil.

Members Ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by jm991700 View Post
                      Motor is a a rebuild motor, so its in good shape,it has 30,000 miles on it now, and the turbo thats on it is a second one i bought. The turbo oil feed line that is connected to the oil adapter its not feeding it filtered oil. ITs feeding it directly from the oil pump. The engine oil filter is after the adapter. And with turbos ,the guys at Turbo exchange( a turbo rebuilder) said it dont take much to mess up a turbo, and they been doing this before we was born so they know what they taking about.
                      Who rebuilt it? Just because it was rebuilt doesn't mean it was rebuilt right.

Also, if you started the motor up with the turbo, that was a mistake as there is ALWAYS some sort of metal shavings on first start up from all the head/block work floating around. This is why I always recommend an oil change after the first start up.

Some of that oil will go into the oil filter eventually. Yes, the oil goes from the oil pump to there, but it also goes back into the pan. There is spreads and gets mixed in with the rest of the oil.

I don't think you realize how the oiling system works.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                        Who rebuilt it? Just because it was rebuilt doesn't mean it was rebuilt right.

Also, if you started the motor up with the turbo, that was a mistake as there is ALWAYS some sort of metal shavings on first start up from all the head/block work floating around. This is why I always recommend an oil change after the first start up.

Some of that oil will go into the oil filter eventually. Yes, the oil goes from the oil pump to there, but it also goes back into the pan. There is spreads and gets mixed in with the rest of the oil.

I don't think you realize how the oiling system works.
                        I know how the oiling system works, and i rebuild it, and yes i know what im doing. i didnt do this thread for advise i was giving a head up what to look for when using an oil adapter. ANything u hook up on the adapter will be unfiltered,( before the engine oil filter).

Members Ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by jm991700 View Post
                          I know how the oiling system works, and i rebuild it, and yes i know what im doing. i didnt do this thread for advise i was giving a head up what to look for when using an oil adapter. ANything u hook up on the adapter will be unfiltered,( before the engine oil filter).
                          You really don't get it, do you?

Even if the oil doesn't come directly from the filter, THE OIL STILL GETS FILTERED AT SOME POINT.
                          Originally posted by sweet91accord
                          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                            You really don't get it, do you?

Even if the oil doesn't come directly from the filter, THE OIL STILL GETS FILTERED AT SOME POINT.
                            I do get it, but what YALL dont get what im trying to say, is it only takes one time for dirt that didnt get to the filter on the first cycle to ruin the turbo. It dont take much. It could have happen that one pass. Turbo are really sensitive.

I notice people that dont even have turbo cars have the most to say.

Members Ride thread

Comment

Yep, I've never had a turbo car. But I've installed/tuned more than you've seen.

You have an underlying problem. Figure out why the hell you have metal shavings in the first place. There shouldn't ever be metal shavings in your oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X