Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Camshaft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft Discussion Thread

Ok i would like to get more into detail in learning camshafts and how the degree affects a boosted motor.

Ok flipping though the pages of skunk2 parts catalog i notice that the degree on the turbo cams is smaller than the n/a cams. like you could get 260's, 270's 280's, but for turbo applications they list 220's, 230's. why so low?

Questions:

can i run a 272 cam in a turbo h22 or even 280?

with a proper tune, would i be fine?

wouldnt more degree cam open the valves more to suck more air into the cylinder?

I would appreciate some information on this before i go buying cams.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

the higher the cam number the steeper the lift is, which is usually a smaller duration I think. Which is better for high revving n/a's, and a lower number with a longer duration is good for jamming all that compressed air into the cylinder.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
      the higher the cam number the steeper the lift is, which is usually a smaller duration I think. Which is better for high revving n/a's, and a lower number with a longer duration is good for jamming all that compressed air into the cylinder.
      I'm pretty sure you've got this backwards...

The number on the cam usually corresponds to the advertised duration, 272 degrees, 282 degrees, etc.

long duration= N/A
      short duration= Turbo

But, advertised duration has very little to do with what the actual duration is. I've seen many cams labeled "272" and the actual duration measured @0.050" is anywhere from 205-240°.

Skunk2 has one of the best cam profiles for turbo. A lot of B-series guys are running the Pro-1 cams on their turbo motors, and even with the long duration they are making more power than with the old Skunk2 turbo cams.

Cam selection has a lot to do with what setup you're running. I've seen guys swap out 5 sets of cams until they found the most ideal profile for their motor.

Cam selection on a DOHC is much easier than on a SOHC, at least with a DOHC you can shorten the overlap by adjusting the cam gears, with a SOHC the overlap is set when they grind it. Selecting a cam for a SOHC motor is harder than selecting one for a DOHC.

I suggest that you start by checking the specs on the cam cards from some of the major manufacturers, most are available on their websites, and if you're still having trouble selecting a cam grind I would call Debbie from Web Camshafts in Riverside. She knows her shit and can help you select a cam for whatever setup you're running.

So I guess my summarized answer is yes, you could run a "272" or "282" cam on a turbo H22. I'd suggest the Skunk2's H-series Pro-1 for anything under 15psi, anything over that I'd recommend Web Camshaft's Stage 2 grind (grind#689-688-687/689-688-683) or the Skunk2 Pro-2's.

-Kyle
      Last edited by F22Turbo702; 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM.
      SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
      -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Originally posted by F22Turbo702 View Post
        I'm pretty sure you've got this backwards...

The number on the cam usually corresponds to the advertised duration, 272 degrees, 282 degrees, etc.

long duration= N/A
        short duration= Turbo

But, advertised duration has very little to do with what the actual duration is. I've seen many cams labeled "272" and the actual duration measured @0.050" is anywhere from 205-240°.

Skunk2 has one of the best cam profiles for turbo. A lot of B-series guys are running the Pro-1 cams on their turbo motors, and even with the long duration they are making more power than with the old Skunk2 turbo cams.

Cam selection has a lot to do with what setup you're running. I've seen guys swap out 5 sets of cams until they found the most ideal profile for their motor.

Cam selection on a DOHC is much easier than on a SOHC, at least with a DOHC you can shorten the overlap by adjusting the cam gears, with a SOHC the overlap is set when they grind it. Selecting a cam for a SOHC motor is harder than selecting one for a DOHC.

I suggest that you start by checking the specs on the cam cards from some of the major manufacturers, most are available on their websites, and if you're still having trouble selecting a cam grind I would call Debbie from Web Camshafts in Riverside. She knows her shit and can help you select a cam for whatever setup you're running.

So I guess my summarized answer is yes, you could run a "272" or "282" cam on a turbo H22. I'd suggest the Skunk2's H-series Pro-1 for anything under 15psi, anything over that I'd recommend Web Camshaft's Stage 2 grind (grind#689-688-687/689-688-683) or the Skunk2 Pro-2's.

-Kyle
        thanks bro. ill have to give her a call
        miss my turbo cb7
        moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Working...
        X