Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Major questions about running a JDM H22a swapped CB7 in CA and what route to take??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major questions about running a JDM H22a swapped CB7 in CA and what route to take??

Ok I searched and didn't find anything close to the questions I'm about to ask.

But b4 you start......go grab a soda or a snack..this is a verrrry long post.

All these questions came to my mind because I live in California (every tuners nightmare) and I still want to fix my car to be fast....but I want to be able to escape the CHP and CARB checks. I'm at a fork in the road and don't know which route to take......either FI or All motor.

I've already had problems getting my jdm h22 to pass smog.....and yup you guessed it, I want to have even more problems all in the love to going fast!

One main concern is just the police running around having us pop hoods every now and then.....sooo if I decide on going the Forced induction route....I'm looking into getting a carb legal turbo kit for my car. So when I pop my hood BAM! carb certificate so they can't do jack. Most cops are dumb around here and all they care about is seeing a Carb #. My friend has a 240sx with a SR20motor... the cop knew that originally these Nissans don't come turbo but all my friend did was show him AEM intake stickers on his IC piping and turbo...and the cop was happy!! what a dumbass!!

Question #1

Since a majority of kits use T3/T4 hybrid turbos: exp Greddy. Would it be better to buy a carb legal turbo kit for an Accord? In this way, i'll have the carb certificate....then i'll just sell the manifold and get one that fits a H22a.

Question #2

If I do buy this turbo kit.... since the piping is already made for an accord....would it work well with a H22a?

I'm really trying to avoid custom turbo piping because obviously the police will notice it's custom and deny it being legal. I have yet to see a really professional custom job where the pipes are nice and polished and don't look ghetto.

I know a regular performance accord air intake will fit on a h22 throttle body because the silicone hose can slip right over..... but will Accord turbo piping make a REAL huge difference performance wise? I don't know if turbo kits for a accord have an increased piping size or if they are still small.

Question #3
    This is for people who maybe even done this. Does the piping even route the same with a h22a in the engine bay? I never payed any attention whether the throttle body sits high/low/ further back from the original F22.

Question #4
    If I have no choice on professional looking custom piping,
    I've heard on the net that people have actually used the FMI intakes (front mount intakes" for one side of the intercooler piping. Is this true? It seems that it can be possible since in a way the piping is routed very similiar to what a intercooler would go.

Question #5

Ok...so what if I buy a carb legal prelude turbo kit?
    How much of this kit can I actually use on my car besides the turbo and manifold? Does the intercooler piping actually fit on the throttle body side? I know a prelude CAI fits our cars...but will the intercooler piping fit as far as the passenger side goes??

Question #6

Ok.....so what if I smog my car with either kit? vise versa Accord/Prelude turbo kit on a H22a? Will either way pass smog???

For one thing... a h22a comes from a prelude and really belongs in a prelude but it's in a accord....so will a prelude turbokit be even legal since my car has a prelude engine? or will I have to use a Accord turbo kit.....but isn't meant for the engine?

Question #7

Ok.... so i'm running around with my turbo kit and it's time for smog. I've done some internal engine work and lowered my compression in the 9's with JE pistons blah blah etc. so it'll be more boost friendly.

Now how exactly would this effect smog? Will it run more dirty since I've done this?

Question #8

I decided to get this kit (E-bay turbonetics H22a turbo kit)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742

This is not a street legal kit and since then I've lowered my compression in the 9's category.

Being that the turbokit is not street legal, I took off the turbokit....but left the internal engine stuff alone.
    How will my car run? Will it run obviously shitty?? hence the engine supposed to be a high compression motor and no turbo is connected to it? Will I pass smog??

Question #9

I have a JDM h22a motor and the compression is 10:6:1 compared to 10:0:1 US spec. Since it's a even higher compression than a US motor......how much boost is too much as far as doing no internal engine work?

I've heard people run safely 7-9lbs on a regular US h22....but for a JDM spec... will 7 be the most safest? I plan on keeping my motor for a while and if problems like in Questions #7,#8 make it hard to pass smog, I want to leave the internals stock. Will wastegating it down to 5lbs of boost be even worth it? how much power gains will 5lbs of boost even do for a base 200hp engine?

=============================================

All Motor Questions:

Question #1

If forced induction is out of the question, I really want to do a minimal Euro-R setup on my regular H22a.
    I want swap out for Standard bore Type-S pistons, Euro-R manifold, maybe skunk2 stage 2 valves & retainers, and euro R or Skunk2 stage 2 camshafts, cams. More than likely all Honda O.E. parts though.

How will these items affect smog? Will having a 11:0:1 compression be hard to pass the sniffer?
    Last edited by Kurobei; 09-14-2004, 05:36 AM.
    I need a custom turbo manifold built....
    707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
    "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
    '92 Accord Sedan SiR

First of all, how do you get your car smog? My bro has a 93 lude with a H22a in it and when he went smog they wouldn't smog it cuz its a J-spec. Oh yea abouy the turbo set up, do custom its much more cheaper and about the CARB sticker, print one out on the printer, thats what my friend did on his integera looks hella real!!! just make sure you paint the piping to look like a pro did it.
    =my idea of classic JDM
    to my car page

Comment

Originally posted by chiaboi_AcCorD
      First of all, how do you get your car smog? My bro has a 93 lude with a H22a in it and when he went smog they wouldn't smog it cuz its a J-spec. Oh yea abouy the turbo set up, do custom its much more cheaper and about the CARB sticker, print one out on the printer, thats what my friend did on his integera looks hella real!!! just make sure you paint the piping to look like a pro did it.
      For your brother to pass smog, his car needs to be a manual for one thing. All he needs to do is to run a USDM ecu. Another thing a smog ref might look at is the airbooster valve which the jdm motor doesn't have. Instead there is a blank plate where it would normally go.

As far as getting a sticker from the state ref. These are mainly the things they look for..... are you running a us-spec ecu and have all the usdm emissions equipment in check. The vacuum lines and everything have to match a US-spec.
      I need a custom turbo manifold built....
      707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
      "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
      '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Damn you californians have it rough, I would find out who makes that manifold for that ebay kit because alot of the ones you see on ebay such as ssautochrome and the obx manifolds have serious welding problems.

But i think that if you do go custom, a shop shuld be able to make your ic piping look legit.

Comment

If you plan on running any major boost then expect to pay 5k into that motor... If smog is your question then there are plenty of ways around that

Comment

Working...
          X