Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Which PT6 for an F22A1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
    Unfortunately the only Cali emission ecu I have is a pt6 L50.... That I pulled out of a junkyard in Texas, is currently in my cb7, and I have not tried to pull the eprom on it yet. Now that I'm in Cali, maybe I will go junkyard scavenging for Cali ecu's in the future, but as of right now I honestly cannot comment on true differences between them. The pt6 most likely won't be pulled until my p06 replaces it after my planned build.

In regards to tunability of these ecus the only things I have identified is the ignition advance map and rpm scales. I still have yet to figure out the formula for fuel, which honestly will take someone reading assembly to figure it out.
    Is your web site and project still up and going ?

I use an auto p12 on my f22a1 manual and my car wont stall out easy any more but idle is a bitch some times i guess the ecu thinks it needs to keep the engine going for the "auto" transmission my car is a 5 speed .

**FAIL** edit
    Last edited by 8ball; 03-09-2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

P28 ECUs

I know that genuine P28s are hard to find. So when I was looking for Honda genuine OBD1 readers on Ebay and stumbled on these, I wanted to make sure anyone interested in genuine P28s saw that these were available.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-STOC...aed0a1&vxp=mtr
      Obviously, do research and contact the seller.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with the seller or the sale, just trying to help out.
      Last edited by af_1132; 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph
      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.346

Comment

Just to clarify... a P28 is not needed for a non-VTEC engine.

Comment

I have a P06 converted to P28. I have the s300 installed in it. I had pherable do that since I got the S300 from them. And they did it for free.

My opinion on these computers are two choices.

P06- and add everything you need I added IAB and Removed some resistors for My wideband.

P72- This has the vtec and the IAB and the bigger deal is the Knock board. Now I don't know much about this bc I don't have one But I have been thinking about getting one. Just not sure how good the knock board actually is. I have read that the honda knock baord is not the best and you may get interference.

You should be able to pick up the p06 for around $60 then add $15 for the chip and other stuff, My iab kit was $12 bucks from Xenocron. I recently purchased my CPR kit from them. In my mind they have more chipping stuff than other places and the service is great.

steve

Disclaimer: Everybody else in this thread knows much more than I do.
          Last edited by Stoner51; 03-16-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Just to clarify... a P28 is not needed for a non-VTEC engine.
            Right. I myself am going to go the P06 route, since I am staying F22A.

The reason I posted that was because people searching "P28" on this forum for whatever reason may stumble upon this thread due to our earlier conversation on the different ECU options. If anyone was looking for genuine P28 ECUs, then I wanted to help provide a potential lead on what looks like a good investment.

Then again, maybe a new thread would have better served that purpose , or just deleting that post 'cause I don't know the seller. I wouldn't want to end up with someone getting scammed in the end when I was just trying to help in the beginning.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
              Disclaimer: Everybody else in this thread knows much more than I do.
              Except for me, of course !

I'll be looking around some more for a manual P06. All the ones on Ebay are over $80 and most are chipped. The only virgin P06s I've found are for automatics, like this one.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Stoc...501f1a&vxp=mtr

Ill be patient, though.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

You just change one of the resistors to change from manual to auto or vice versa. So don't let that hold you back.

you can prob get a auto for cheaper as most people look for the easy way.

steve

Comment

I have a virgin P06. I can show you which resistor to switch out with a jumper. It's super easy as long as you can solder a bit

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Modifying an ECU is far more straightforward than tuning it. Modifying it just requires the proper soldering tools, a little soldering skill, and a knowledge of what to add or remove.

Comment

Thank you for all the help and advice everyone.

Sonikaccord, is your virgin P06 a P06-A5x? These are the most common un-chipped P06s I found on Ebay. When I get mine, I will be sure to PM you.

Deev, when you say "tuning", you mean chipping and changing settings with software via plugged in computer, right? Soldering sounds more fun and educational, but are there limits to what you can change with soldering compared to chipping? I should probably read up some more in this sub-forum.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

They're completely different procedures.
                        When physically modifying the ECU, you can add a chip (or a socket for a removable chip, which is the better and more common option), you can add resistors and such for additional circuits (such as IAB and VTEC.)

"Tuning" does indeed involve the actual programming of the chip you added to the ECU. That requires specialized tools (software, a wideband o2 sensor, datalogging cable, and a chip burner at the very least... it can get more involved.) It also requires a much more thorough knowledge of what you are doing. You need to understand how to use the tools, how to read the information gathered with them, and how to manipulate that data to achieve the goals you desire.

Soldering is the first step, and it can be a valuable one to learn. "Chipped" ECUs (modified ECUs ready to tune... they should never be regarded as ECUs ready to plug in for every day use as-is) can easily cost upwards of $100... and that's before adding IAB or VTEC capabilities (which will cost more.) You can find a virgin ECU for $50 or less (I used to get mine for $15... sadly, the price has gone up.) Chipping kits (chip, socket, resistors) only cost about $20.
                        The soldering comes first. The tuning comes next.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying that, Deev. My ECU noobness came through pretty loud and clear there.

I just read a bunch more in evil_demon's sticky for this sub-forum, and I'm pretty stoked to get started. I have a lot of support from you guys.

Would you all recommend searching for ECUs somewhere other than Ebay?

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Junkyards.

Comment

Oh, Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Why spend $80 + shipping on Ebay and wait for a week or more when you can spend much less and have it right away? Haha, silly me.

92-95 Civic DX/LXs, here I come!

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Yep, I usually buy them, chip them and sell them on eBay for a decent profit. Be careful desoldering though because you can lift pads or destroy traces if you aren't careful.

I have a virgin auto P06. A51

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X