Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Tuning Solutions, Idea and Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning Solutions, Idea and Thoughts

Tuning Solutions, Ideas and Thoughts. Software available:

Severalpeople have asked me the difference in tuning software here are a few of my opinions.
    If you have something to add,please do, as we all can learn from each other.

Free Crome: descent starter software, requires either flashnburn program (free download, but you need to buy a burn1 or equivilant) to burn chips, or emulator be it ostrich or demon. Unlimited vehicles you can place chips in, if you decide to go that route. Does not have capabilities for Datalogging.

Crome Registered Version: $150 With registered, Datalogging becomes an option. This enables you to tune friend cars with help of an emulator be it an ostrich or demon.

eCtune: $175 a whole lot of advantages over the above 2,but disadvantage being, One eCtune software is only good for One vehicle.
    If you want to tune 2 cars, you need to buy a second set of software.

Hondata: $200 - $600 Just seems to expensive, but has great capabilities. I do not touch this system. My knowledge is minimal.

AEM-EMS: $1150 So many good features with these and capabilities. Cost a ton of money but in the long run it is worth it considering you never have to buy another ECU.
    It has a lot of monitoring capabilities and you need minmal in vehicle gauges. Less wiring for datalogging and live tuning. With the other programs you need
    seperate cables unless you can support demon functionality.

eCtune and AEM-EMS: Problem with these is that you really need to know what you are doing, yes they can create a basic file (calibration) for the car you are going to tune
    but on initial startup you really need to understand tuning and how everything works collectively.

Hope that gives you some small insight on these programs. You can find more info out in the ECU Tuning section or pgmfi.org (main source for most tuners).
    eCtune.com, Xenocron, or Moates.net is also available to answer any questions you may have. Definetly search these software capabilities and chose the components,
    aka wideband that best suits your needs. Yes it is complicated but again in the long run you will be able to tune 700hp beasts.
    even tho on a street tune you can really only get about 300-350hp until you need a dyno dependant upon your knowledge.
    These are just my opinions and I have them in order on my liking. do what you will as everyone is different and wants components that are good for their drivers.
    Last edited by drummersteve7; 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM.
    MadLab Racing
    Southern Maryland

I am admittedly biased but I thought I would throw in my own opinions on a couple of options.

Haltech Platinum ECU Manager Software- Awesome. We had our best year ever last year thanks to the Platinum ECUs and the new software. I am biased, but it really is great software. Much better than anything we ever offered before with dos or windows. Tuning and Datalogging are integrated into 1 program. On board and laptop logging supported.

Motec- Great software and great hardware, but at a big price. Motec shops are generally very good, but this comes at a great price, as stated. Features cost a bit to unlock, but they have some of the best data acquisition available. Separate tuning and datalogging software. On board datalogging and laptop datalogging supported.

Magnetti Marelli- For the ballers. I doubt any of us will ever run a MM system, but you never know. Amazing hardware, completely programmable to do just about anything, but you must be very knowledgable to tune it. Tuning is done via about 4 programs and ethernet. Good luck.

Megasquirt- The DIY ECU and the DIY Software in many cases. Be wary if you do a MS ecu, as many times shops will charge more to tune them because they are a PITA.

Electromotive - Quality product, but they require you to use the same 60-2 trigger pattern. Tuning software needs to be updated, but is capable.

Just some opinions from myself, as I have been knee deep in the ecu world for 2 years or so now.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I only have experience with Hondata:

It is pricey, but offers good features (and updates) to keep you happy.
      Imo it seems very similar to the Haltech system.
      Instant map changes on the go via USB (even with engine running)
      All features instantly available (no extra costs) provided ecu was chipped accordingly.
      Tuning and datalogging in same program.
      Potential for extra features to be added in.
      Good forum support, and program help index.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Neptune

I would just like to point out that neptune is a good option as well, but has many of the same flaws as ectune.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

since you guys are posting this stuff do u mind mentioning the prices one may have to shell out for each system?

i think i remember seeing the AEM EMS goin for a grand....
          haltech platium its like 1500 right? sorry if that seems steep but im just kinda throwing it out there.
          Members Ride sold...
          I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

The prices I Know

CROME free

Needed: Chipped edu, chip burner, dataloger. The dataloger is $35 from moates and the chip burner is only needed if you don't have access to one.

Although that is all that is needed to use Crome free, it is really slow especially without an emulator. The emulator that is cheapest and works for it is the ostrich from moates, the price is $175. Crome also supports demon, and can be datalogged with freelog, and a few other free logging softwares.

Lowest Price: $35 (datalogger)
            Recommended Price: $210 (datalogger, emulator)

If you want to tune multiple vehicles with the software you will also need access to a chip burner $100 if I remember the price right.

Goods: Its essentially free, and can be used to tune multiple cars without additional cost, except the ecu of course. It is easy to use and has probably the most active help forum. Crome free has a lot of nice features added in with pluggins, and what you can do with it will continue to grow.

Bads: Although it is free there are some major bad qualities in it. First of all the program has a lot of features that are added, but still do not work. With just the free version autotune is not available and that is hugely helpful for part throttle tuning. Besides this there is not an input for a wideband, this means that the wideband must be wired through the ecu limiting the resolution and according to some people causing a bit of noise in the readings.

CROME GOLD

Needed: Same as above, but to get any benefit from owning the GOLD version you will want the ostrich emulator or demon.

Crome gold licensing costs $150

Lowest Price: $185 (datalogger, Crome Gold)
            Recommended Price: $360 (datalogger, emulator, Crome Gold)

Goods: The addition of autotune makes the software much quicker to tune with. Can still be used to tune multiple vehicles as long as they are all tuned from the computer that has the license file on it.

Bads: Not nearly as nice as the two steps above it. In reality Crome gold should be purchased by those who cannot afford to get the others, or people who need to tune multiple vehicles on a budget.

ECTUNE

I do not have any direct experience with ectune, but I can tell you prices and what others have told me.

Needed: Emeulator(ostrich or demon, but most people are leaning toward demon), socketed ecu, dataloger if you go with ostrich, ectune.

Ectune license is $175

Lowest Price: $385 (Ostrich, datalogger, Ectune )
            Recommended price: $400 (Demon, Ectune)

Goods:

Bads:

NEPTUNE

Needed: Demon, socketed ecu.

Neptune license is $150

Only Price: $399 (Demon, Neptune)

If you already have an Ostrich and or Hulog, You can exchange them for money off of the price of a demon board with Neptune.

Goods:

Bads:
            Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loud92CB7 View Post
              since you guys are posting this stuff do u mind mentioning the prices one may have to shell out for each system?

i think i remember seeing the AEM EMS goin for a grand....
              haltech platium its like 1500 right? sorry if that seems steep but im just kinda throwing it out there.
              The Haltech Platinums range from about 900 for a Platinum Sprint 500 to about 1400 for a Platinum Sport 1000 to 1800 for a Sport Platinum 2000.

The Motec M400 goes from 3000 for just the ECU to over 5000 for the M800.

A Magnetti Marelli is about 10k, haha.

The AEM will vary as well, dependent upon the model you get. The V2 is better than the V1, but IMO they have quality problems with their builds.

Electromotive is about 2000, so is Hydra, Link, and Autronic.

Comment

Hondata P28 with boost control was $1400 NZD (2 years ago) which would be $1035 USD at todays exchange rate.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Dag yo, I didn't know they were that much.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    Hondata P28 with boost control was $1400 NZD (2 years ago) which would be $1035 USD at todays exchange rate.
                    Seriously? Now a ECU from Hondata along with the S300 and boost controll and chipping is $990. Even so, paying 295 for a P28 is pretty steep if you ask me.
                    Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                      Even so, paying 295 for a P28 is pretty steep if you ask me.
                      Probabaly is, except for the fact that you can't get P28's over here.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

If I find any

If I find any in junk yards you want them, lol I picked my last one up for $25 from a pull a part.

Comment

I got p28's for $140 a pop chipped with your basemap!
                          MadLab Racing
                          Southern Maryland

Comment

Might sound like a n00b questions, what are ostrich and demon?

Comment

Search

An Ostrich is a bird, and a demon is an evil creature that comes from hell (I think...)

In all honesty search google for moates ostrich or demon and get your answer.

EDIT: Sorry for not finishing my initial post, I will have neptune in hand in 5 days, and will post up more on ectune when I evaluate neptune as well.
                              Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 02-03-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X