Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

name brand cai,or generic?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

name brand cai,or generic?????

bumping this for ideas..

i have a stock 90 accord ex. and i want to know if intakes really help the car in gains, mpg and what not.

will changing the stock box w/ just a K&N air filter do anything?

does AEM really live up to the cost? how bout generic? ebay? if so, which generic is the best and closest to AEM?
    hahahahah

well if your air filter now is really old and crappy...upgrading it will definatly make more power and get better mpg.
    92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

i've always kept in check, the latest air filter in it being the penzoil one.

but i just wanan know if it really does matter much..
      hahahahah

Comment

I just have an obx intake and a filter to go on with it an open one with a screen. Still does the job though

Comment

Alright, I could tell you to search, but I'm lazy too, so here's the deal. I've had the stock airbox with a drop-in and the bottom half removed, I've had a Nakayama(decent brand) Ram Air, a AEM Cold Air, and currently running an AEM Ram Air.

Complete Stock- Sucks
          Drop-in Modified- Little more sound, no noticeable gains
          AEM Cold Air- mpg got better, better performance than stock
          Nakayama Ram- Ram is definitely better than CAI
          AEM Ram Air- The best! Good torque, good MPG, good Sound.

In review, buy a USED AEM from somewhere, if you want the best. But, for like $75 less you can get something that works almost as well. Make you own choice.
          -Jay

Comment

I've always heard and intake is an intake is an intake. They all flow the same amount of air, if anything its the filter that would restrict it more, not the design of the piping. I bought a $20 cold air on eBay, thought it was a pretty good deal.

Comment

ebay does the job too they arent bad at all.

Comment

what other brands are there?

where can i look to get Nakayama Ram? i tried searchign but nto much results
                hahahahah

Comment

there are alot ex. aem,obx,injen,akimoto,iceman the list goes on and on.

Comment

okay i will try somewhere adn see the prices out there.

will an ebay short ram fit an INJEN filter? or other filters?
                    hahahahah

Comment

ebay sells shit from a-z cheap check em out

Comment

i did a search on ebay, they are the typical generic ones.. around 20 or so, plus shipping so about $40 or so to hawaii.

i did some research and some peeopls said that short rams can actually decrease performance.
                        but i dunno. will mpg increase?

anybody know where are good places i can look into that sell intakes. most places just sell brands like aem, and injen and it's hella expensive..imo not worth it..

where can i find the ones like nakayama, akimoto, iceman etc. etc.? any recommendations? hook ups? thanks.
                        hahahahah

Comment

an intake is an intake....they all the same shit jO...just get the cheapest one u can get your hands on

Turbo CB7 is Gone ...But I Still Come Around
                          AWD TURBO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!

Comment

I would say get a cheap one off ebay and get a good K&N cone filter. All the AEM filters are K&N and that's the most important part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
                              Alright, I could tell you to search, but I'm lazy too, so here's the deal. I've had the stock airbox with a drop-in and the bottom half removed, I've had a Nakayama(decent brand) Ram Air, a AEM Cold Air, and currently running an AEM Ram Air.

Complete Stock- Sucks
                              Drop-in Modified- Little more sound, no noticeable gains
                              AEM Cold Air- mpg got better, better performance than stock
                              Nakayama Ram- Ram is definitely better than CAI
                              AEM Ram Air- The best! Good torque, good MPG, good Sound.

In review, buy a USED AEM from somewhere, if you want the best. But, for like $75 less you can get something that works almost as well. Make you own choice.
                              i would say if you dont have to worry about carb laws, just get a coldair off ebay, like everyone else is saying... theyre all the same.

but as far as this testing above, im gonna have to disagree. coldair's perform the best. and if by ramair he mean shortram, theyre just gonna sound louder cause the filter is closer to you. a coldair will not be as loud, but it will be deeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X