Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

good or bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good or bad idea?

Ok well someone said that taking out your turn signal, with a CAI, would increase your mpg and alittle more power because of the ram air? Tru or false?
    I tried it on the way down and the way back up to NC, didn't really keep track to if it did anything or not lol.
    I'd only take it off during long trips, but does it even work?
    The filter isn't directly in back, but its down a bit

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
    www.maketradefair.com

might help alil.. not worth looking like ur car is broke, with only one turn singal
    86 nissan 200sx turbo

Comment

I think I'm going to use a 90-91 front bumper cover & pop out both vents under the bumper turn signals and integrate both a brake duct & CAI on the pssgr side and just a brake duct on right. Put some meshing in front of vents to make it look good. It should look cool and be functional. It's been my idea for a while.

When I get to that point. I was set on a 92-93 front bumper cuz I like the looks, but I think 90-91 is easier to do this idea & will look tight with it. I'm definitely going 92-93 rear trunk lid, lights & rear bumper cover though.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

my 90-91 bumper owns
        86 nissan 200sx turbo

Comment

I know my truck has a scoop that goes in the grille. Try a junkyard for an old pickup intake scoop, they are about the same dimention as one of those lights.

Comment

Who knows id leave it on before something like a bug ho wants to meet death flyies all up in there, And besides one less ticket for you.

Comment

Ehh...just put the stock light back on.
              92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

even though the light is off, u are getting cold air rushing to the filter but in no way getting a ram air affect casue the filters air is being sucked and not pushed...so lets rule that out

second, if u put the light back on, the air down there is still cool, maybe the difference is.7 degrees or something...

OH less dirt if u leave the lens on...
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

HondaFan I was wondering if you did that or not. That same idea struck me today, and I found this thread. I'm thinking of doing it. Maybe use some of my leftover stock airbox tubes to run a brake duct.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

throw a filter on and your good!

Comment

I made some rudimentary concept pic's......

Note: It may or may not be necessary to say so, but these ducts will be behind/within the bumper, I'm not cutting slots in the bumper

I noticed one of the stock air tubes has a valve on it. It's part of the air intake control system. I could use it on the right duct to open at the prescribed rpm switch (I think 3500 or something) to redirect air. Although that seems more like an unnecessary restriction, so I'll probably scrap that. But I do want to run some ducts to the brakes regardless. And opening the hole will, on the right side, provide extra air to the CAI.

Instead of just removing the "Fog Light Holes" (I don't know if thats what they're intended for, I'll just refer to them that way.) I can cut slits in them instead. The original pieces of plastic are ribbed anyway, and a saw will help make it easy to cut slots, like a grille. It could not only provide some protection, to filter out large items like twigs, rocks, and leaves, but it may cosmetically look better than just large holes.

The brake cooling may not make any difference for me since I'm DD, and not auto-x'ing. Also the CAI may not need the extra air either. But I just think it would be a groovy experiment, and since I have a CAI bypass I think I make for a good candidate since I have less risk of damage.

I believe some users may have already tried the same or similiar methods, *ahem* Soysaucy can you chime in, plz?* So what does everyone think?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                        I made some rudimentary concept pic's......

Instead of just removing the "Fog Light Holes" (I don't know if thats what they're intended for, I'll just refer to them that way.) I can cut slits in them instead. The original pieces of plastic are ribbed anyway, and a saw will help make it easy to cut slots, like a grille. It could not only provide some protection, to filter out large items like twigs, rocks, and leaves, but it may cosmetically look better than just large holes.

The brake cooling may not make any difference for me since I'm DD, and not auto-x'ing. Also the CAI may not need the extra air either. But I just think it would be a groovy experiment, and since I have a CAI bypass I think I make for a good candidate since I have less risk of damage.
                        You caught onto my idea, them diagrams you did up where what I had planned...something along them lines minus the valve idea. I've modified my idea to making this setup for track use only on nice days so I don't get water on hot rotors from braking, etc. I'd like to make the fog light vent entrance removable for track use and replaceable for daily driving. I've modified my main purpose for these two vents being for brake ducts since I will use a short-ram intake and not CAI. I may do the raised hood hinge idea for added cooling. I'll have a Koyo radiator too for added cooling. I also plan to do a coolant bypass valve idea I've had for the TB coolant bypass, plus Hondata intake manifold gasket to help keep incoming air cool. I plan to keep the 90-91 front bumper and rear tail light setup too, I don't see the point in changing them for looks I want my car to look clean and represent what it ac actually is, not trying to be something it's not. I'll prolly do the rear disc brake conversion though, no ABS in time though. A/C and P/S will be completely removed as well, but I do plan to keep the balancer belt. I will be running a higher volume oil pump as well to keep the engine well lubed and a moroso 5.5 qt aluminum oil pan with oil pickup and a good full synthetic motor oil, have to talk to knowledgeable people on this and what viscosity I should go with.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                        X