Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Broke the timing belt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke the timing belt...

Alrighty, well, my car died on the freeway yesterday, got it towed to my shop, and began the diag...found that I had no spark, checked and made sure I had power to everything, everything checked out so ordered a new distributor. Installed the new distributor and still, no spark, removed the cap and found the rotor in the same position as I installed it, had my coworker turn the motor over while I watched the rotor. Sure enough, it didn't move, looked and my lower timing cover and noticed a big hole with my timing belt sticking out. So now I have a dillema.

I'm going to put a new timing belt on it tomorrow and hope for a miracle. Since I'm rather certain that it has bent at least a few valves. Or I can just take one of my spare heads, have it cleaned and resurfaced and put it on. Or I can spend that money and just try to get my new shortblock finished ASAP and roll with a stock head until I have the money to finish it. What do you guys think. Always a good reason to upgrade, right?

-Kyle
    Slap on a stock head
    23.08%
    Spend the money and finish my short block, with a stock haed
    7.69%
    Spend the money and finish fully building my block AND head
    69.23%
    SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
    -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Make the best decision based on your timeline and if you need it as a daily driver. If you have the time, money and another car to drive, why not upgrade, unless you could care less about this being a project car.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

well.... pistons weren't too damaged, you MIGHT be able to get a new set of valves and rebuild the head and do whatever else you'd like

don't take any chances, do everything right and not do "guesswork", take complete care of the present problem, then worry about whatever else you wanna build(ie. the block)

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
      My Ride thread
      Flickr
      Originally posted by d112crzy
      And it can only get better. That's the best part.
      All I gotta really say is:
      People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

Well my spare block is at the machine shop right now, I need to give him another $300 to finish the shortblock, but I still have to figure out if I want to slap on one of my spare stock heads, or spend the money and finish the build in a timely manner. I'm trying to get my parents to lone me some cash so that I can just finish the new motor and be done with it, but if I can't persuade them to be generous than I'm going to end up either just putting a stock head back on the block that's in the car right now, or, spending the $300+ dollars on the new fully built shortblock and putting a stock head on a built lower end until I have the money to build the head...I just don't know. All of the options sound good, because either way I'll have my car back. I just don't like spending money or doing the labor twice because something screwed up my plans. Ya know?

-Kyle

-Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Originally posted by F22Turbo702
          Well my spare block is at the machine shop right now, I need to give him another $300 to finish the shortblock, but I still have to figure out if I want to slap on one of my spare stock heads, or spend the money and finish the build in a timely manner. I'm trying to get my parents to lone me some cash so that I can just finish the new motor and be done with it, but if I can't persuade them to be generous than I'm going to end up either just putting a stock head back on the block that's in the car right now, or, spending the $300+ dollars on the new fully built shortblock and putting a stock head on a built lower end until I have the money to build the head...I just don't know. All of the options sound good, because either way I'll have my car back. I just don't like spending money or doing the labor twice because something screwed up my plans. Ya know?

-Kyle
          Nobody does, but reality sits in and if you need to drive this car, just fix what it needs and get it running. That is why some on here have 2 project cars, one DD and one project. When you combine the two, you can have problems and possibly even frequent problems depending on how well of a job you did and how much you abuse the project car and/or DD.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i would think the obvious answer is put a stock head on it for nwo and finish ya block and a new built head then do the entire motor swap

Comment

Ok, so the verdict is in. Valves are bent.

So, looks like I'll be resurfacing and cleaning one of my other spare heads. However, there is a good side to this whole fiasco. I talked to Vince today from Omnivalves, some of you may have seen the thread I started about these amazing little valves he designed, if you haven't you should go check it out, basically Vince said that he is going to get them finished as quickly as possible for me and I'm going to put them in my spare head, I'm also going to get a Delta 272 regrind. I figure I'd might as well wait the week before I replace my head and get his valves in it so that I won't have to do this again a month from now, my parents are going to loan me a little money to pay for the new H/G and the resurface, so everything should turn out pretty damn good.

Well, I'll update my Omnivalves thread with some pics once I get the valves in hand, hopefully it won't be more than a week or so.

-Kyle

-Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

realisticly the fastest thing would be swapping out the valves and havin the OE head workd.
                But hondafan18 said it best.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just going to resurface and clean my spare OEM head, I wanted to port it, but time/money is not on my side. I'm just going to throw in a 272 cam and the ExplicitSpeedPerformance.com Auto-5spd motor mount kit....the car kinda sounds like a diesel right now, it's only running on 3 cylinders...

Also, I talked to Vince and he's having trouble getting the valves done in a timely fashion, so I'll just leave stock valves in it for now.

Screw it...

-Kyle

-Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Swapped out the head for another stock one. Cost me about $200 for gaskets and labor (clean and mill head). Only took about 2 1/2 hours to swap the head. Car feels good, it purrs now, this is actually the best my car has ever run. I also threw in the A6 cam that was already in the replacement head, figured it might add some power, or at least not make me lose any.

My motor build is now back on track and hopefully it will only be another month or 2 before the new motor is fully assembled and ready to go.

-Kyle

-Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

I love interfeirence engines with timing belts insteed of timing chains. One of the few things honda ever did wrong.... but I still love them more than any other motor ever.
                      I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Working...
                      X