Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Increasing H22 CR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing H22 CR

OK, again, looking for some input on a mild build-up on a H22. Basically, I am looking for close to stock reliability and driveability, but want a little more power than a stock JDM H22 will deliver. So, I am looking at some mild engine modifications in conjunction with normal bolt ons (I/H/E - except for maybe keeping the JDM header).

Anyway, I am considering a cam swap with new valve, retainers, etc and would get a little head porting done at the same time. My question is, while the head would be off (probably before install in the car), what about milling the head a little to increase compression ratio a little? I am not looking for a whole lot. The stock JDM H22 is around 10.6:1, right? Something to maybe get to the 11.0:1 range? Or is the safer alternative doing new pistons? And should I consider new pistons the way to go just in case I ever want to run a small shot of N2O anyway?

Or, should I just install the H22 stock, get that going fine, then consider something like the Gude H22 head/cam upgrade and maybe do new forged pistons at that time in the project?

Any thoughts?
    Eric91Z
    eric91z@globalccs.net
    '92 Honda Accord EX Coupe - For Sale (email me)

Im currently working on an h22 swap. And my main plan is to get it in the car, get everything wired and running smooth, and then start the build up.. But when i do start the build up, i want to start with the bottom end and move out. I personaly think that you should start with the guts of the motor when building it up so that it can handle whatever you throw at it. Obviously u need the cams, gears, valves and retainers, but i think personaly that u should wait a little bit so you know exactly what u need to get when you go with that for a good setup. And dont ignore the fuel system, the more mod you put on, the more fuel you need.

Comment

Well basically let me put it to you like this. When you mill the head you bring it closer to the block slightly increasing the c/r. But it does have its consequesnces the piston can slap and mess up the headand slappin the valves and you dont wanna do that so inturn if you do this you have to clay the motor and observe clearance issues if any.

You can get some type s pistons oem so you wont have to resleeve cause with aftermarket sleeves like je and other you will have to. Then maybe shotpean the rods but you have to choose what cams you have to run when you go to the secon and third stage of cams you have to upgrade your valvetrain its a must if not youll blow it. And as fuel you must change that pump to 255 a fpr wouldnt be bad either .

Then last but not least a good tuner and header im gettin a very good one too . Keep the jdm header its close but slightly over dc-sports. Try to get anr or headertech,or prospeed,or if you wanna wait and have the dough big-bawlahhhhhhhhhhhhh smsp products.

Comment

What kind of compression ratio will the Type-S pistons give? What is the advantage of the Type-S piston over the stock H22 pistsons? And, lastly, what is a good source for the Type-S pistons?

Thanks again for the input.
        Eric91Z
        eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

11:1 the advantage is over stock that the more compression you have to a certain point with the cams and good flow all play a significant part on the naturally aspirated work. The power relies from within itself. It puts out more power in the upper higher rpms pushing the engine to its limits.

The camshafts can make more power but in order for them to work you must have higher compression for them to get up there on that higher power if not they will serve you no good may even do more harm than good. The bigger cams love highercompression with a passion with some good flow and excellent tuning.

But too high like 12:5:1 is meant for like racing only but with that you want to get 11:5:1 to work best for you im doin the same thing myself too much of a higher compression will lead to detonation,and you dont want that.......

Comment

I do understand the concepts of the internal combustion engine, but I have little application in the Honda world. Now, the domestic V8 market is a different story.

So, what I am looking for is the better way to increase compression to around 11.0:1. And it sounds like, from your posts, that the Honda Type-S pistons would be a good way to do that.

And given that, what is a good source for the Type-S pistons?
            Eric91Z
            eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

Icbmotorsports.com ask for speedshops in your area 2

Comment

Thanks for the link. As for speed shops in my area, they are pretty much little to nothing to do with the Import scene. So that has not been much of an option. I know of a machine shop to do the head work (they did all are machine work when I worked at a Honda Dealership) and one of my mechanics that worked for me at the dealership has his own shop now and will be helping me with the swap and other work.

Just need to figure out what to do for the tuning, too.
                Eric91Z
                eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

Get a vtec controller put it on the dyno and call it a day. Or get a hondata s100 but thats overkill your not makin power like that sooo stick with the vafc and your straight.

Comment

Where can i get a chipped p28 though and is it really potent and worth it?

Comment

What is the difference between the P13 and P28 ECU? Do they both work with the H22? And when you say "Intake" is that a Cold Air Intake or is there a better intake manifold than the stock one on the JDM motor?

Thanks for the input.
                      Eric91Z
                      eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

One is for from a 4thgen prelude the other is from a civic.

Comment

P13 is the Prelude and the P28 is from the Civic? And they will both control the H22, but you can chip the P28? Or why not just a chip for the P13?
                          Eric91Z
                          eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

From what ive heard the p28 is better for tuning from what ive heard dont quote me on that its better when its tuned . The p13 will mess with you and give you a hard time when you try and tinker with it.

Comment

Is the P28 controller newer and possibly faster processing than the P13 with more available controls? I am guessing that the P13 ECU is usually what will come with a used JDM H22 setup?

But as you suggested before, for the combination I am looking at running, I should be fine with a VAFC or/and VTEC controller?
                              Eric91Z
                              eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

Working...
                              X