Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22 cam upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 cam upgrades

I am just curious if anyone has done a cam upgrade on their H22? I ask because when I do the H22 swap, I want more than just the 60 or so hp I will get from the swap alone (from stock). I plan on CAI, header, and will have the cat back already, prior to the stock. I am thinking a set of cams, a little head work, new valves, and some tuning.

So, I am looking for some input on either personal experience or word of mouth about cams for the H22. I know Gude and Skunk2 both make them for the application, but anyone else I should look at? Any other personal experience? I would like to keep a close to stock idle, some low-to-midrange power, but open it up all across the board (as much as is possible with a 4 cylinder).

Part of my reasoning is if I keep this car and put some money in it, I will probably end up putting more in to it than I could ever get out of it if I sold it. And if I do that, I want it to be worth while. I want enough power to hang with a new Acura TL (which I drove yesterday). I know I won't need the 270hp they are getting because that car is much heavier than my CB7, but I want enough power to get my 2800 pound car up and moving.

So, any and all cam suggestions and "reports" is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric91Z
    eric91z@globalccs.net
    '92 Honda Accord EX Coupe - For Sale (email me)

If I go with a JDM H22, is that the "JDM header" you are talking about? So I could save some money and not need to swap that out for a DC Sports or similiar?

Thanks for the input.
    Eric91Z
    eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

Its been dyno proven the dc isnt as bump as the stock jdm header. It doesnt do anything one of my boys put it on it made him lose power. on top of that try adding more the a header expect to pay atleast 900 for a decent header thats gonna make power.

Comment

the only header that you should go with if ya dont want the jdm is a custom one that you have made to make power.like sparkle said thats gonna run you $800*

Comment

So, let me make sure I understand this correctly: when we are talking "JDM" header, we are talking the stock header that comes on a JDM H22? Just want to make sure I clarify that. So I could save the $300 or so for an "ordinary" aftermarket header and put that towards new cams.

So, with that line of thinking, anyone with any input on cams to run in a N/A H22?
          Eric91Z
          eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

Yes quite a few people on here why?

Comment

Why? Because my original post was looking for information and recommendations for aftermarket cams. It was not about headers or anything like that, it was looking for input on cam suggestions for the H22.

So, any suggestions or experiences to share?

Thanks.
              Eric91Z
              eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

Uve heard some good things about crower stage2's ,jun,skunk2;s Im still in the middle of crower and skunk but crower looks tight

Comment

Well, given the limited information I have found so far in regards to cam swaps on a daily driven car, it seems that the Crowers are leading the race at this point. I have yet to find anyone actually running the Skunk Stage 2 on a street car and have not heard of anyone running Gude cams except for racing.

So, at this point it sounds like a stock H22 with Type-S pistons, Crower stage 2 cams, some light head work, and new "valvetrain" for the head. I think that, JDM header, cat back, CAI, and the right tuning should give a respectable, reliable, daily driver CB7.

Anyone else with other cam experience?

And any recommendations for tuning?
                  Eric91Z
                  eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

You still forgot a fuel and upgrade the more mods the more fuel you dont wanna lean out after your setup when your runnin the car hard . Yes it should proving that you let the parts wear in correctly and the tuner is experienced and you may wanna also get a good fuel management system for tuning. Like an afc just a thought just for kicks. And throw it on a dyno

Comment

Yes, I know a fuel upgrade is a good idea, but I have also heard the factory fuel system is good for 250hp or so. And I am pretty sure I will not be exceeding that with just cams and a little head work.

But, a Walbro 255lph in-tank pump is good insurance and something that is already on the list. And at some point, possibly new injectors, depending on what kind of power the car makes and if it is actually pushing the max duty cycle of the stock injectors.
                      Eric91Z
                      eric91z@globalccs.net

Comment

ive seen it over and over again, people who do cams and a lil headwork on the h22s dont quite make it over 200whp.. but they get close...
                        H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Okay first off you dont need new injectors they run 345cc's thats just good enough. Just change the pump anyway the car is past ten years old better safe than sorry. You want that fuel there when you demand it why risk it just make sure the injectors are clean and runiin at peak efficiency thats all. When doin a build cutting corners will bite you in the ass literally later on. May cost you a little may cost you alot but either way its gonna cost u.

Comment

i agree with H22 sparkle(in his own voice)

he knows his shit, hands down...
                            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

true,true

Comment

Working...
                              X