Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

rebuilding motor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding motor questions

Look "Someones" motor is going out and he is wondering if he could rebuild it with his old motor. cyl 4 went out on his old one now what we think is cyl. number 3 is going out and knocking bad. If I luck out in the sense that it goes through the oil pan is it worth it for him to rebuild it himself with his old oil pump and oil pan or could there be more damage to the block? Note: it has blown yet but I know the signs. It's right on the verge, should i just replace the rod bareing or what?

And PLEASE no one say H22 time. Also on a sort of related topic if this doesn't go well anyone got an h23 they wanna sell me....I mean him?
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

lol....tell him to stop talking to himself. lol

the honest truth is our motors arent even worth rebuilding with stock parts when u can get them so cheaply. You could put used stuff in there again but ur spending money just putting back things together....like head gasket and all that crap. just buy a used engine and sell ur current one for parts.

Comment

rebuild it right and it'll probably last you...errr.... him, another 200k+ miles... longer than just dropping in another motor.
      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

would it matter that the parts may have 214K on it? or do you think i should go for new ones?

Comment

If you're going to rebuild it, rebuild it with new parts. No point in trusting used parts when you can get OEM replacements for relatively cheap and have a pretty much new engine when it's all said and done.
          1993 Prelude S
          F22A1
          custom'ish turbo setup
          180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
          18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
          currently being rebuilt

Comment

he's got a point. if your not going with upgraded internals then buy brand new oem parts. i personally will only do oem if not upgrades. i don't trust non-oem parts stores to much. the quailty of honda is just unmatched in my book.
            91 Ex CB9
            JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
            p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
            Weight Reductions
            R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Would anyone be able to maybe lead me through replacing the rod barings? or maybe tell me how hard it will actually be? Also the specs to tighten things back? Please correct me if I'm wrong but

1. Drain the oil.
              2. remove oil pan.
              3. remove oil pump unit
              4. Check for damage
              5. ?????

Comment

get a haynes, it has everything you need to know.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

hanyes, your best bet is a helms, or at least chilton. hanyes isn't as detail and not very clear. 9 out of 10 people will recommend the oem Helms manual. expensive but worth it. or you could download the pdf like i did for free,lol. i think i got it on hondahookup.com or something like that. it requires you to signup on thier forum but what the heck, you get a manual out of it.
                  91 Ex CB9
                  JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                  p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                  Weight Reductions
                  R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Working...
                  X