Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

...Oh no, oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Oh no, oil light

Kay, after I get on it alittle bit to pass on the highway the oil light comes on at low rpms. It stumbles under 900 to like 500 and it stays on and the idle changes at randon(never over 1000 though). And anything under 1000 it's on or flashing. Also- at random it will stutter at take off at low rpms. (where anyone would launch from at a redlight) Then when It goes into a cruising gear it does it also and the car about shakes. Can anyone gelp? note- I've got into 2 races since I got it back 2 weeks ago and have been treating it like baby otherwise. Could it be my oil pump failing?
    Last edited by EXkidd91; 10-09-2006, 02:28 AM.
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

Check your oil level first.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

It's about a half quart over

Comment

Nail I love how fast you respond

Comment

Yea I have no life. Check your oil sending unit? Usually if you change that out and it dont work it could be your oil pump starting to take a shit on you.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Any qoute on how much that'd be? Also, any estimate on damage this could cause to the engine BEFORE it does go out?

Comment

uhh, yeah if its not getting any oil pressure, its gonna fuck somethin up....

start with the sender unit, because 90% of the time, thats what it ends up being. And get rid of the 1/2 quart of extra oil.

My advice: get a new sending unit, get rid of the extra oil, and reset the computer. start it up after all of that, and if the oil light is still on, shut the car off immediately, because when you do try to start it, its going to be dry as a bone, especially if the pump isn't pumping...

Comment

Extra half quart isnt that bad. I did that to my h22a and my a6 before and they didnt have problems.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

anyone know how much that would set me back?

Comment

Its not that big of a deal, I know, but its by no means a "good" thing to do. And from my experience, that sensor shouldn't run more then like 20-30 bucks.

Comment

If you're a half quart over normal level, then if you had oil sending unit leaking....wouldn't it lower the level? Doesn't seem like that's the problem, but you can check anyhow.

I'm wondering if you have an idling problem and because your idle rpms drop to below spec, that's what's causing the oil pump not to rotate as fast as it normally would and bring your oil pressure level down. If the oil light goes away after you rev it to let's say 1000 rpm and anything above that it's fine, I think it's an idling issue you have.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

ive been having the same problem intermittently for about the last week... it only happens when the cars warm, like when i get off the highway... im thinking it might be something with the viscosity level...
                        1993 CB7
                        2001 BB6

Comment

Also have the exact same problem...only after i'm on it for a while.

Note, it seems to be worse if you are low on coolant...something to do with the coolant circulating in the thermostat or TB or something.
                          Make sure coolant is nice and toped up.

But ya, I figured my issue could just be my tune as i'm tuning the engine with crome...i may revert to another rom and see if it gets better.

Comment

Working...
                          X