Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

turbo or n20, that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo or n20, that is the question.

so, i know a little bit about each, and i like the idea of each, but i cant do both.
    also, i got challenged to race by this guy with an se-r on a board im on and its nice, and its won lots of trophies and such, so i really want to beat it. it runs a 15.4 (meh to me) and i want to be faster than that and i want the car to be faster overall.
    thus, i cant decide if i want to drop the 700-1000 for a turbo, or about 500 for a wet n2o kit and get a delta cam as well. how hard are the two on the engines comparitively? i dont want to spend a lot on maintenance all the time, as thats what had to be done with the merkur back in the day(although i know that these are very different cars here).
    that being said, which is more reliable, and better in the long run? i love the sound of a turbo but i also like the feeling of instant power. and im thinking about a 75 shot.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

OR

you could buy an f22b dohc, get yourself a chipped p06 and tune it or have it tuned. thats my setup+i/h/e, and i ran a 15.2

then you could either choose to go turbo or n2o later on. but with the swap alone you should be able to beat some ass.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

how much did you drop on that total?
      i just dont want to spend more than 1k because i know the wife would not be pleased about me spending that much money just to make my car faster.

Comment

730shipped for my engine alone. about 150 for liquids and some gaskets. a chipped ecu costs around 150ish depending on where you get it.

you could also try to trace down either a p39 or p14 for it instead of getting a chipped p06. low 15's are def possible with <1000.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

nitrous it. It'd be way better. get a 272 cam, and the wet shot, that way the nitrous isn't always putting stress on the motor like the turbo would. and the 272 would help make even more power, and you'll walk the sentra. Bang for buck is nitrous.
          Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

thats what im leaning towards, my little bro has a kit, and he owes me some money too.....
            also, the n2o would be transferable over to another engine in the event that i ever get a shop.

Comment

rebuilt ur engine completely and put a 500 shots. get two bottle. keep that finger on the nos button at all times. u'll win. promise. lol
              DEFJAM

MY RIDE ON CB7 DEFJAM on 93

Comment

They are both as reliable as you make it. I dunno, the 1k turbo seems a bit iffy to me, but maybe you have hookups. I see you know the pros and cons of each since you did research so good luck.

Comment

well, there is a kit for sale on here for 700, and it just needs a couple other things that i have thought about. my brother is a mechanic that owes me some money, so the install should be pretty much free as he knows more about a lot of this stuff than i do. but even still, im thinking more and more of going with the n2o, at eventually getting a swap later on down the road and just using this again.

Comment

$200 used dry kit took my f22a powered Prelude to a 15.0 @91 in the 1/4. Just an FYI
                    1993 Prelude S
                    F22A1
                    custom'ish turbo setup
                    180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
                    18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
                    currently being rebuilt

Comment

word, i do believe i will go this route.

Comment

Nitrous is a bit easier to set up as well... and unlike turbo, it's not a whole mechanical system that can fail. Your nitrous stops working, you just don't use nitrous. Your turbo blows, you don't drive your car until you fix it!

I'm selling my nitrous kit now, but I plan on getting another in the future. A 75 shot can be a hassle... doable, but a 50 shot it totally idiot-proof Figure, on a car with I/H/E, a 50 shot will be making H22 power.

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                          nitrous it. It'd be way better. get a 272 cam, and the wet shot, that way the nitrous isn't always putting stress on the motor like the turbo would. and the 272 would help make even more power, and you'll walk the sentra. Bang for buck is nitrous.
                          I agree. You will need a chipped ECU (P06 perhaps) to run the 272 cam.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

you could do a DSM turbo setup for WAY under 1k..you jus gotta look around to get deals...
                            1992 Honda Prelude S - Swapped F22A6 - Turbo 16g Powered!

Mods: 3" Exhaust,450CC Injectors, DSM Manifold, DSM Ported 16g, Stealthmode Oil Line Kit, RFL BOV, JDM Black Housing Headlights, Clear Corners, Tinted Tails, Forbidden Short Shifter, Front Mount Intercooler, Chipped and Tuned P06 ECU - Tuned With Uberdata, Lowered 1.7,6 Puck Clutch"

PARTING OUT F22A1

Comment

I sold my DSM kit for $650... just needed oil lines and a program. The piping was even cut to fit.

However, a cheap DSM kit isn't always the best. I would NEVER put one on my primary car. That's why I bought a cheap beater to boost... sadly, I crashed it before I could.

A quality nitrous kit, used sparingly, is much safer than a cheap turbo kit... especially with a t25 or 14b turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X