Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

M2B4 or rebuild M2A4 w/ goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M2B4 or rebuild M2A4 w/ goodies

Hey guys, I blew the clutch in my CB7, and since my F tranny is grinding gears more than a filipino hooker on lap dance night, so I am debating what I should do. I have an M2A4 sitting here at the shop but do not know the condition that it is in. I do know that it grinded gears also, terribly. Other than that no info on bearings, seals, or anything else. The car that it was pulled from was totaled, and I don't know the owner to ask if there was anything else wrong with it. I do know that the previous owner drove the car with this tranny in it for a while before the car was wrecked.

I am not sure if I want to attempt rebuilding the tranny with a set of carbon synchros and a final drive kit. Or just order the M2B4. My delimma is money. I still need to buy a clutch kit and possibly a flywheel as I will probably toss the XTD even if nothing appears wring with it. I can get the M2B4 for $1,000 to my door. The synchro kit is going to cost upwards of $250 maybe more (I have an e-mail into gearspeed to find out exact prices,) the final drive is going to run more anywhere from $500-$700, plus any unexpected costs due to bad seals, bearings, shift forks, etc.

Wow after typing all of this out I think I've made up my mind to just order the M2B4 for now then try and save up to rebuild the M2A4 when the time is right.

Well sorry for wasting anyone's time.....reply with opinions if you'd like!

Member's Ride

my bet is that the A4 has a bent 5th gr shift fork, 5th gr hub/sleeve, and bad 5th gr synchro...thats what was wrong with mine at least....

You can get the 1-5 synchro set from gearspeed thru Honda-tech for 265 shipped and the fork for about 30-40 bux thru Majestic. The 5th gr sleeve/hub set, if yours is bad, runs about 100. As for the final drive, im not sure, but thats bigger $$. You could have gearspeed build you an entire Type II tranny (new bearings and synchros + LSD) or a Type III which has a final drive i think....

If time is of essense, tear apart that A4 trans with a service manual and see if a new sync set can get you by for now.

Up to you bud

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

i say get the m2b4 cause it has that lsd goodness.....and like u said save up to build the m2a4 and get carbon synchros and final drie kit and a *quaife* lsd
      My Members Ride Thread

Comment

M2B4 stock honda reliability. Get it. Let someone else rebuild the other trans screw it or just junk em. Or just rebuild on the side then sell. FWD trannies really arent that bad I love em since everything is all together when you take off the case so yea if it comes with directions that should help you out.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
        X