Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Running w/o air filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running w/o air filter?

Would this be bad? I was just wondering because I'm not sure if cars w/ITB's have them, unless they're not visible (i.e. right behind the horns). It's prob. a stupid question, but I just wanted to know...my ghetto intake came apart and I was driving w/o one in a while, and it felt a little sluggish...I'm just hoping my internals aren't all grimed up. Thoughts?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

id say run with the filter on no matter what, even if you have to duct tape that shit on there. If you suck up a leaf, a rock, a bit or water or anything, youre gonne be fucked as engine internals usually dont do too well with solid objects.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Yeah you deff need something there to keep things out. i mean if u want to illiminate the filter just go buy some screen mesh and use that. That would keep out the large things but it wont on the dirt part

Comment

if a grain of sand got in there...or even a leaf...it will for sure F up ur system.

and if u leave it open then ur internals will gunk up more.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

You really wont even notice too much of a gain from that. If you are out and something happened to your intake filter and you are left without anything to put on it the best substitute is a sock hehe ... it'll work to get you home at least.

Comment

The air filter is designed in a way to filter out small water molicules of the air which are there but you can't see (to some extent). Running without an air filter for prolonged ammounts of time makes your engine at risk of hydraulic lock up, this means that a forign liquid has entered the combustion chamber and siezed all moving parts. The only way to fix this is a complete engine rebuild including cylender honing and re-boaring, or a new engine.
            My advice, if your gonna do some racing, stretch some pantyhose over the throttle body, but get that filter back on when your not racing!
            If you can't hear it before you can see it...It's not worth it.
            The Pop Tarts guy says: BAAAAAAAAAAYUM!
            But Lil' Jon says: YEEEEEEEEEEEEAYUH!...and OKAAAAAAAYEH!
            EATSLEEPDRIVE

Comment

The worse of your problems will not be water but dirt particles in the air. Have you ever looked at a used air filter? Just imagine that finding it's way into your cylinders. Ever take sandpaper to metal? Not until recently did I realize how critical it is to keep that crap out of your engine. I found this out in visiting the machine shop near my area, I was shown first-hand some V8 blocks with cylinder walls scored up. The machinist told me one of the main reasons for this is cuz crap gets into your cylinders, through air, oil, etc. It doesn't take much to have more than 0.040" overbore of damage.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

yeah dude a filter is a must. All the little things that you cant see will enter into your engine and cause some serious cylnder scoring. As for itb's well they are actually created for race cars and not street driven cars. And race car engines usually only last about 6 months to a year, so engine life is not too important.
                FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Working...
                X