Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Short ram vs. CAI...my take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ram vs. CAI...my take

Today I met up w/h22sparkle for a usual bs'n session and to get help to put my BOMZ CAI in. After some dremel hacking we got it in and went for the test spin...and...it was SLOWER than the SRI!!!! The top end gain I felt when I got the exhaust was lost when I put the CAI on, and the engine just felt more corked up. To say the least, I was PISSED!!!

So it looks like the best way to go as far as intakes are concerned is a snorkel type short ram. $50 down the drain...to say the least I'm pissed... Just a heads up for everybody.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

come on now, yaw. i said that SRI's were it a long time ago.

Comment

It is almost a given that with any CAI you will lose 'power' and what you are noticing, engine response as compared to an SRI. Cold air intakes do what they say, usually, by sucking in air from outside the engine bay (durh). This also reduces velocity, as there is more pipe, and more bends for air to be sucked through. SRI is generally best for NA performance, but under extreme conditions, all it does is suck hot air, depending on how long or how far away the filter is from the hot parts of an engine. A well designed intake system will generally place the filter in around the battery area, allowing for the best of both 'worlds'; minimizing effects of heat soak, and keeping throttle response. CAI are good in my mind only for extreme heat conditions, such as maybe track racing, or charge pipe. Just my two cents.

Comment

^ Not only that, but with a SRI you don't have to worry about submerging the damn filter in water. SRI = FTW

generic short-ram
        generic strut tower bar
        hid bulbs all around
        amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

Comment

Does that mean i should throw back on my shortram? can any of the veterans chime in the difference they felt. I honestly didnt feel the difference except in reponse time. I wanna hear everyones opinion on this one'.

Comment

Well i cant speak from experience where CAI is concerned but im happy with my SR. My dude got a 96hatch and he got the V2 CAI and he likes it Im not planning on CAI only because its not worth risking water damage for a lil performance.

Comment

[QUOTE='93EX]^ Not only that, but with a SRI you don't have to worry about submerging the damn filter in water. SRI = FTW [/QUOTE

hehe yes!

Comment

Originally posted by '93EX
                ^ Not only that, but with a SRI you don't have to worry about submerging the damn filter in water. SRI = FTW
                Unless your car likes swimming.

Comment

heh

Comment

I have felt a better response time with a short ram BUT the topend feels better with the CAI in the current setup. Water is not an issue where I live.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

I think sri is very nice i love the way it sounds and it's pulls harder than cai.
                      99 GS300 (Aristo) 2JZ Power

Bought from:gdout, bb6-sh

Comment

i love my AEM sri

Comment

Originally posted by LinX
                          I have felt a better response time with a short ram BUT the topend feels better with the CAI in the current setup. Water is not an issue where I live.
                          topend better with a CAI? butt-dyno figures, what?

Comment

I can tell my CAI restricts the low end. But I like 4000-5000 rpm anyways.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Dyno has the ultimate proof but people make threads similar to this one all the time despite this 'evidence'. Just offering what I've experienced.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
                              X