Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

I think I blew up my motor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I blew up my motor...

Need some help. Driving home tonight, I wound first gear out to about 4000rpms, then let off the gas, i heard a clunk(or something, wasn't normal), and 5 min down the road my car has an very noticeable vibration. Not so noticeable at idle, or when in nuetral, only when driving. I may have done it when I raced this sentra on my way home, that's when I really noticed it. SO my guesses are, axle(they were about shot), pistons(ringlands), or headgasket. Sounds like there is a hissing from under the hood, but I can't remember if that's always been there. Shoot my some ideas or something, what are the normal symptoms of fried ringlands, or axles problems, or anything else you think it might be. Cause it looks as though my car is out of commission
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

No physical damage you can see? Blowin out any smoke? Check the mounts and such. Is the vibration inside the engine? Engine make other noises other than the clunk you described?

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I think it's time for an H swap.
      (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
      Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
      My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan1987
        yeah...NO!. This only means it's time for a fully built motor and I have to stay NA for a little while. I gotta go to work, so I'll give a more detailed analysis of what's wrong
        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

hahaha, that sux rob. please give more info on how it feels and if theres any smoke. also, does it drive like normal?

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan1987
            You really like the H dont you. Every topic I have seen thats the only thing you say. A boosted F22A can outrun an h22a. 92ex has a pretty nice setup from what I read a while back. But yea get back with us on the analysis man. Ill try to help you out.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

hopefully it's something simple, like a fouled plug. later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

check under the hood and look all around the hoses, with the engine running manualy give it throttle and listen all around the motor, could be as simple as mounts like Nail said, is the vibration in the steering wheel after a certin MPH?.....
                93 Accord- SOLD
                94 Civic- F22a1 Swap, current DD

Comment

I'm gonna guess a motor mount. When you were going up to about 4k rpms, and then let off, the motor is going to rock the forward and put stress on the front motor mount.
                  Also, I'm going to guess that since your running the dsm setup, there would be no front motor mount there to take it. Right?
                  So now that you have no front motor mount for the motor to push on, the rear is going to take all of that motor movement (The side mounts basicly hold the weight of the motor, the front and rear take most of the abuse) and its going to pull up on the rear mount.
                  You could have torn the rubber, broke one bolt or something, so its still holding it, just it gives and makes a clunk noise, also adding vibration to the car in general.

I could be totaly wrong, but this is my best guess going on your description.

Lets get together tonight or tomorrow and look at it. You still have my phone # ? PM me if you don't. L8r
                  Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                  01-01-2019

Comment

An easier way to diagnose engine mount without revving the engine because if he has internal damage that wouldnt be the wisest idea. If you have a big pry bar you can try to rock the motor back and forth and check for movement. Another is you put it in first, foot on brake, give it some gas, then clutch out slowly and see if the engine rocks excessively. You do the same in reverse.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i think bjaccord has it on the money. I get a pretty hard clunk when I start out in first and it's near stalling(motor is moving a bunch). Theres vibration in the steering wheel. I don't have the front torque strap. and it feels as though my engine has the normal amount of power(i switched backed to NA for safety reasons). Tomorrow I'll check the mounts, I think I might go ahead and order some and do the urethane(the urethane has been in my closet for over a year now). No smoke from the engine either. I'm really starting to think it's the motor mounts. Thanks for the help/support boys.

And nail05, I don't think highly of H22s, I believe them to be overpriced and way too common nowadays. Ever since I've beaten one, I believe turbo is the best root
                      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                        i think bjaccord has it on the money. I get a pretty hard clunk when I start out in first and it's near stalling(motor is moving a bunch). Theres vibration in the steering wheel. I don't have the front torque strap. and it feels as though my engine has the normal amount of power(i switched backed to NA for safety reasons). Tomorrow I'll check the mounts, I think I might go ahead and order some and do the urethane(the urethane has been in my closet for over a year now). No smoke from the engine either. I'm really starting to think it's the motor mounts. Thanks for the help/support boys.

And nail05, I don't think highly of H22s, I believe them to be overpriced and way too common nowadays. Ever since I've beaten one, I believe turbo is the best root
                        That I do know. I dont blame you for it either. You can make equal power if not more with a turbo f22aX for less than an h22a. I just went toward the h22a cuz I had the chance to. I would plan on gettin another cb7 preferably a DX and throw my a6 in there and boost it since its sitting at my buddies shop collecting dust. And yes love I do love turbocharged vehicles. I do plan on boosting the H BUT thats money and thats a different story. But have fun swappin out the mounts shouldnt take long.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I think you're going to be ok..if it was an internal motor problem you would probably hear it when driving, and there would more than likely be some kind of smoke or something. Motor mounts arn't to bad to replace.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

the bolts ripped out of the drivers side mount, so I fixed that today. Drives a lot better, but because I was running on 2 mounts, I think I tore up the rear mount. I'll have to replace that sometime soon. Thanks for the help guys
                            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Glad to hear you got it fixed, sucks your n/a for now though. Did you just disconnect the i/c piping or take it all out and put a header on there? L8r
                              Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                              01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
                              X