Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

So...I'm new here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...I'm new here.

Well, I've always been into American V-8 power. However, my daily driver has ALWAYS been an Accord. I had two '86 DX's, and an '89 DX. They all served me very well, were very reliable, and got pretty good gas milage for carbureted vehicles. My '89 just revently took a dive after over 200k miles, so I picked up a '90 DX with a blown motor. We swapped the blown engine for a lower milage F-22 out of a '92 Accord.

So now I have a '90 Accord with a 5 speed, and I want some more power. I read about the H-22 swap, but I don't have the cash for that, so i'm going to mod the F-22. What types of bolt-on modifications are there for these cars? I'm not much for imports, and I mainly know V-8s. What type of power gains would a header and air intake get me? Is there anything else I can do beyond that? Throttle body, camshaft?
    1990 Accord
    F-22, 5 spd, stock!

1979 Z-28 Camaro
    383ci, TH-400, far from stock.

Bolt -ons that produce more HP

Cold air intake
    headers
    Apexi World Sport Exahust full catback
    f22a6 manifold
    You could always turbo it

Well i got a headach and i need sleep hope it helps or maybe someone else can put there .02 cents in there

Comment

Thanks Maple. The F-22a6 manifold, I assume that's an intake manifold? I've been giving some thought to the turbo thing. I could make my own manifold easily, what size turbo would be good? Perhaps a Garrett t3 from a DSM car? Anyone else know of some other mods?
      1990 Accord
      F-22, 5 spd, stock!

1979 Z-28 Camaro

Comment

You can either do h22motorswap my favorite,nitrous, or turbo or you can build your motor the possibilities are endless. Its all about how much are you willing to spend tell us and well let you know from there cause speed aint cheap brutha.

Comment

Alright! Another Camaro guy who drives a Honda.
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Sparkle, what do you mean by "build your engine" ? Do you mean like a high compression N/A buildup? I'd probably lean toward the turbo before I'd go N/A. Can I upgrade my F-22's camshaft at all? Anyone ported these heads before, because I could do that too. What companies offer nitrous for these cars. Are they dry or wet kits? Thanks guys, you all are really helpful!
            1990 Accord
            F-22, 5 spd, stock!

1979 Z-28 Camaro

Comment

build your engine for your application if nitrous i would go zex.

Comment

You can get your camshaft reground from Delta camshaft for like $75 if you send in a core. They will do lots of different regrinds depending on what kind of application (n/a, turbo). If you are going turbo then I would recommend running a t3. Nothing over 7 psi and you should be safe with the right stuff to go along with it. Instead of swapping an a6 manifold you could just get the throttle body and intake manifold ported and polished at somewhere like JG for around $200 I think. The only performance modification you would have to do that is expensive is upgrading the clutch. The clutches on the f22 are really weak.

Comment

Hey maple or anyone else,

is that Apexi exhaust not overly annoying? I mean does it have a good tone to it? I've been thinking about putting an exhaust on my 93 when the stock muffler blows up.

BTW, the old hole in the muffler sounds cool for while. That is until you have drive 400 miles! I about put a bullit in my head.
                  "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

I dunno about the whole exhaust thing. Go here to see a dyno of what some mods did for this guy's Accord. OK I just checked it out, his graphs are all messed up, but he dynoed a 20HP gain over stock w/various bolt-ons.

Personally though I'd say your best bet would be to get your cams reground. I know that's what I'm gonna do next for my car...intakes, headers and $500 exhausts sound cool, but for the amount of air involved the stock pieces do a good job. If theres anything that really has to go it's the truck cam. Since they're pretty gutless down low stock I don't think a cam would hurt daily driving much and it would really open up the motor. Those are just my estimations though, I don't have new cams yet...

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                    X