Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

What is DETONATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is DETONATION

Okay here is where i need the turbo gurus to chime in i have a turbo that is on the smaller side and i am SO afraid of detonation becuase everyone tells me that is what kills the majority of the turbo cars.

I found this website http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm with infomation on it and how to prevent it kinda but i was wondering other than changing turbos which i plan on doing but not any time soon ( no money ) what other things can i do to make sure i dont blow anything up?

taken from http://not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/t...ossary.shtml#D

Detonation occurs in the combustion process when the advancing flame front, which is pressurizing and heating the unburned mixture ahead of it, does so at such a rate that unburned fuel in that zone achieves its auto-ignition temperature before the arrival of the actual flame front. The result is that the unburned mixture combusts "spontaneously" and over the entire zone where the auto-ignition temperature has been achieved. The apparent flame speed in this zone is many orders of magnitude faster than that in conventional combustion initiated by a normal flame front, with the result that the local rise of pressure and temperature is significantly sharp. This produces the characteristic "knocking" or "pinking" sound, and the local mechanical devastation that this can produce on piston crown or cylinder head can be considerable. Actually, "knocking" is the correct terminology for what is a really a detonation behavior over a small portion of the combustion charge. A true detonation process would be one occurring over the entire compressed charge. However, because detonation in this strictly defined sense does not take place in the spark-ignition engine, the words "knocking" and "detonation" are used interchangeably in the literature, without loss of meaning, to describe the effects just discussed.

basically, it means that the fuel is igniting earlier than its supposed to, either because the temperatures are uber hot inside the combustion chamber, or your ignition is very advanced.
    detonation starts with being lean, which causes your combustion chamber to really heat up, thats how you get high egt's. anyways, as the chamber keeps getting hotter, the fuel starts igniting before the actual spark goes off because of this excesive heat. This causes bad waves that fuck with the momentum of the pistons.

sorry, i = t3h suxors at explaining, but i hoped i helped some.
    Last edited by d112crzy; 04-18-2006, 02:56 AM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
      what other things can i do to make sure i dont blow anything up?
      Don't cram too much boost in, don't advance ignition too much, make sure intake temps are within reason for application. Honestly, if your setup is done right, there shouldn't be a problem with it. Many turbo cars around here die because of lack of maintenece, unknowledgable driver, or poor tuning. As far as I've seen on your setup, you should be fine. My 14b is holding fine on the stock motor and I beat on it, but maintain it, and your turbo is more suited for f22s. IMO, don't worry about it
      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=4275
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

o chit! :o ive never seen that. it should be a sticky jOoO

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

i asked for a sticky a long time ago but never got one...then again i am a mod now lol. Eh, that same link is in the "tip, tricks, and myths" sticky tho
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

so i need to invest in a fuel pressure regulator and possibly an aftermarket fuel pump? im running the 450cc's and im at 5 psi but plan on going to 8 ( one day )

Oh also how would i tell the intake temp? is there a guage i can get to read this? and if i get the gauge what is the safe range for intake temps?

Comment

This should be a sticky...

This should also show the people with really short ram intakes to reconsider their intake setups...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
                  so i need to invest in a fuel pressure regulator and possibly an aftermarket fuel pump? im running the 450cc's and im at 5 psi but plan on going to 8 ( one day )

Oh also how would i tell the intake temp? is there a guage i can get to read this? and if i get the gauge what is the safe range for intake temps?
                  yes, i'd suggest a walbro fuel pump. i'd also suggest getting an aem wideband which allows you to monitor the air/fuel ratio at all times. it gives you a digital read-out. this is one of the best tools to have when tuning your car. if you're worried about blowing your motor with this turbo, the best advice i can give is to do your research on tuning and take it to an experienced tuner. tuning your fuel and ignition maps are the most important aspect in safely running a turbo.

Comment

Working...
                  X