Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Weight Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hybrid90accord
    i added a carbon fiber hood, disc to brake conversion, removed rear seats. replace factory carpet with aftermarket carpet. removed all sound deaden material through out cabin, A/C removal with all the lines and underdash component, and race seats
    I also removed the complete auto seat belt assembly, and switched to 93 pillars

F/S:Pioneer Premier Deh-880prs w/ ipod adapter $220

Comment

Well, I removed all my interior(save for the driver's seat and front door panels) and my rear bumper(running from a cop and gashed it, but I got away) and I'm experiencing 3 things. It's faster. Shut up, I know that's the typical ricer thing to say but it is. It's louder. I don't mind at all but your girlfriend might. The third thing, and the only bad thing, is handling. There was already a lack of weight towards the rear, it being a FF configuration. All the weight I took out of the car was towards the back half and the rear end gets real squirrely on country roads when you drive fast. Just letting you know. While we're on topic, I took out:

Rear seats
      Trunk carpet, cardboard and side panels
      Floor carpet
      Passenger seat
      Power steering pump
      Tow hooks
      Rear bumper(thing weighs a ton!)

I'm about to take off the door panels(I'm a 2 door and doors are HEAVY) and cut away at some of the metal on those. Exhaust system will also go on there pretty soon. Get rid of that solid piece of lead Honda put on there from the factory.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Well the bad handling you are experiencing is due to an inadequate suspension. You made the car lighter than the suspension was designed to handle. As a general rule when you remove weight and have an adequate suspension your car will handle better. So you have absolutely no rear bumper?? That's got to look a bit ughhh...

Comment

I Noticed The Floaty Rear As Well, Mainly Because It's More Prone To Go Airborne On Bumps With A Stiff Suspension. It'll Grab Like Nobody's Business Around Turns, But If You Hit A Bump, The Ass End Is In The Air And the Car Is Shakin It's Tail Feather.
          1992 Accord EX Coupe
          Shortram Intake
          Matrix Coilovers
          Front + Rear Strut Braces
          Custom 2.25 Exhaust
          Flowmaster 60 Series Muffler
          Delta 272 Regrind
          Slammed, Stripped, And Loud

Comment

Glad to hear that there's so much jackassery going on on public roads. *thumbdown*

Just an FYI, the rear disc conversion is heavier and doesn't brake any better than the drums.

Comment

When are idiots going to stop bitching about people racing on the streets and all? Do you not realize that you are going to accomplish nothing except for whoring threads and annoying the hell out of people?

Comment

yeah dude get over it. some people will street race and some wont. If you dont like it, then start a thread on it and leave this one alone. Also I did the rear disc conversion and I m not sure if its any heavier. I'd say its about the same, although I have no numbers to back me up. Does anybody????
                FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Just an FYI, the rear disc conversion is heavier and doesn't brake any better than the drums. [/B]
                  with better pad, slottled rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and proportion valve it does stop better IMO.

F/S:Pioneer Premier Deh-880prs w/ ipod adapter $220

Comment

yeah thats probably true. no way a hot ass drum set up could stop as good as an upgraded rear disc set up. And there's not much you can do to the drums to improve them.
                    FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

instead of melting the tar away, try a chisel and hammer. i've helped my buddy do that on a few of his cars.

R.I.P. Molly, you will be missed. Only 16 and your life taken away from an irresponsible driver. (10/14/08)

Sold to: Boost_Lee | Cby0 | CB710AE | CB7lx91 | Davids92Accord | Driftspec310 | F22HB | sunburn | Wed3k

Comment

Who Said A Damn Thing About Street Racing, Sport? Driving Fast On Country Roads, Especially Out Here In The East, Is Anything 55ish Around Corners, There Is No Posted Speed Limit In A Lot Of Places, And 55 Is The Default, It's Not Being A Jackass If You're Going The Speed Limit In The Middle Of God Forsaken Nowhere. Now, If I Said I Was Going 70+ In Cleveland, That Would Be Different.
                        1992 Accord EX Coupe
                        Shortram Intake
                        Matrix Coilovers
                        Front + Rear Strut Braces
                        Custom 2.25 Exhaust
                        Flowmaster 60 Series Muffler
                        Delta 272 Regrind
                        Slammed, Stripped, And Loud

Comment

i was reading in honda tuner a month or so ago.....that in order to get the tar out of their crx 1/4 mile build up they used dry ice....and it worked.just a suggestion
                          Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry4thgen
                            i was reading in honda tuner a month or so ago.....that in order to get the tar out of their crx 1/4 mile build up they used dry ice....and it worked.just a suggestion

that would work too

R.I.P. Molly, you will be missed. Only 16 and your life taken away from an irresponsible driver. (10/14/08)

Sold to: Boost_Lee | Cby0 | CB710AE | CB7lx91 | Davids92Accord | Driftspec310 | F22HB | sunburn | Wed3k

Comment

This may be super-obvious, which is why somebody didn't already post it, but remember that the spare tire, jack, and toolbag all have significant weight. We all have cell phones now right? Throw a can of Fixaflat in your trunk too if it makes you sleep better at night . . .

On my '92 wagon, it's a FULL SIZE spare - a Michelin 195/60-15 on a steelie! It has to weigh at least 35 lbs by itself.

Also, that weight is way back in the rear of the car, so removing it will help the car's polar moment for autocross too.

Comment

Working...
                              X