Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Straight Piped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight Piped

Anyone in here ever tried running straight piped? Just curious how it'll sound or perform, eventhough it messes up your motor.
    RICE COOKA!!

um...i dont have a muffler...someone took it off, and its loud and annoying and i've never heard of a straight pipe messin up your motor....

later
    Jordan

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

so how does a straight pipe mess up anythign besides your hearing?

Comment

I had mine dumping right after the cat for a while...it was fun listening to it burble off-throttle.
        Then I got the WS2 when I could afford it. But that damn dump was really fun for the few weeks I had to have it (due to an accident crushing my exhaust).

- Zipcreature
        Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
          so how does a straight pipe mess up anythign besides your hearing?
          You need back-pressure.
          My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

mustang style eh?
            Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

make sure the piping ur getting at home cheapo is carb legal. dont worry cops will leave u alone and u will pass emissions with flying colors. oh did i mention the HUGE power increase u will see.

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
                make sure the piping ur getting at home cheapo is carb legal. dont worry cops will leave u alone and u will pass emissions with flying colors. oh did i mention the HUGE power increase u will see.
                if you ran 2.5-3 inch straight pipe back from that cat, i'm sure there would be some increase in HP, but nothing huge. Straight pipes are so damn loud tho, and people would kind of look at you funny for having one on an import, much less an older accord. Mustangs actually don't sound so bad straight piped, cause they have dem v8's and looks more normal.

in any case, any muffler shop i guess could probbaly do it for you. if your going straight pipe might as well do 3inch catback.
                Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by TysCb7
                  You need back-pressure.
                  Not necessarily. However its good for street purposes.

Comment

you NEVER need backpressure.

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
                      you NEVER need backpressure.
                      I hate when people always do the NEVER need camber kit, NEVER need this NEVER need that, you run a straight through pipe and tell me how you like it. The gains vs. the trouble of cops, noise, tunning, emissions is not worth it IMO.
                      My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by TysCb7
                        You need back-pressure.
                        Bingo! It is not necceseraly going to mess up your motor, or at least not in my opinion. a couple things can happen though, one you are going to lose pressure after combustion and that can screw with mileage. two, your not going to pass emissions, cause youre releasing unburned gas in the air.

besides, i think that setup is for pure race cars; which your CB7 likely is not. But
                        other than that it should not do to much damage.

Comment

one thing i head in class and made sense is that. You do need some backpressure. If the exhaust gases escape to soon and have to much room aka 3" pipe. You can start to burn exhaust valves. Just keep in mind and do some reaserch on exhaust. I think that for a 4cyl 2.25" is just fine. 2.5" and 3" is way overly exsesive unless you have a fully built head or turbo.

Comment

If you want to get up to that HP you just gained from your pipe, you need torque. And you won't get there too fast without some backpressure...

Comment

if you are trying to make power you NEVER want back pressure.

if you have back pressure you are losing power.

what you need is good flow, which is based on velocity.

having high velocity exhaust flow is very important to making power, but the amount of exhaust flow has to be matched to the piping you are using.

too small a pipe creates back pressure and you lose a lot of power.
                              too large a pipe leads to very low velocity exhaust flow leading to loss of power.
                              a well matched pipe size to the engine leads to the optimal exhaust flow allowing for proper scavenging, and high velocity flow, creating better power and economy.

try blowing through three things....
                              a garden hose, a coffee stirrer type straw and a regualr straw. you tell me which one flows the best. its the same deal with your exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                              X