Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ITB's vs Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITB's vs Turbo

id liek to keep it towards the NA side so there is less of a chance to blowing my engine but i alsao heard that ITB's are hard to DD with?

i know both need to be tuned which im find for that but w/ ITB's...there isnt any ports or vacuum for the high idle valve and egr valce and all that good stuff. so how would it work?

im kinda tossed up between the two and i dont know what to shoot for. ITB's would be sick as hell and ill be the first accord in th bayarea with them and i love the sound when they rev but of course there is the spool from the turbo.

for the itb's...id try and shoot for 170whp
    turbo=200whp @ 7-8psi

this is on a f22a6 w/ bolt ons

edit...i read this
    http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb/

brake booster can be worked from there
    Last edited by wed3k; 03-05-2006, 03:49 AM.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

bah, i think itb's are harder for DD then even a turbo
    I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
      bah, i think itb's are harder for DD then even a turbo
      yep. en getting it to run. there's only like one program that supports em. then you gotta finda tuna.
      I hate thieves!

Comment

Originally posted by iamanonymous
        yep. en getting it to run. there's only like one program that supports em. then you gotta finda tuna.
        Every standalone I have seen has provisons to run ITB's.

Comment

I say run itb's and turbo....
          SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
          -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

As mentioned not many software producers have a map for it but they are starting too catch up and have some programs out to help. Might want to search how people run Todas and that should give you somewhat of a basemap to run ITB. I believe you can tune it it just takes some time with the EMS.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Wiccanvampier
              that would take tons of custom fab to make the plenum, and would even more of a bitch to tune, but it would be tight, i duno if its worth it tho.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Did he have to tune that at all? I'm in shock in regards to his MAP sensor setup...he sounds like he didn't tune it at all...what's the deal???

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

what a combo. this would be hard to pull off but with money anything is possible. to much effort in my opinion though. as far as going turbo. if you get a good tuner, you won't blow your engine. engine life=good tune+good tuner.
                  91 Ex CB9
                  JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                  p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                  Weight Reductions
                  R33 or R34 front end

Comment

just buy a pulsar. its probably cheaper and easier

i say go turbo...there is more support for it on the site and its much easier to upgrade. probably cheaper too

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

NO GO ITB'S!!! DON'T BE A PUSSY!!!!!

LOL seriously though, other peeps have worked out the vacuum issue + MAP sensor issue...if I could find some definitive info on it I'd probably go for it...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                        NO GO ITB'S!!! DON'T BE A PUSSY!!!!!

LOL seriously though, other peeps have worked out the vacuum issue + MAP sensor issue...if I could find some definitive info on it I'd probably go for it...
                        i know, i like the idea of it....oh well, i still have a long time to go before i make the final decision.
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                          what is so appealing about ITBs?

-good high rpm power, not so good low rpm power, and on a 4 cylinder, that means you're exposing it's weakness even more, which is a big deal when you drive it daily
                          -worse gas mileage, they move air, and to make power, you have to move gas too
                          -intake noise is fun until you have a headache
                          -harder to tune
                          -still nothing compared to turbos, since your engine can only take in so much air....turbos force the issue, ITBs just increase efficiency, but are still in that same box
                          -they were designed for applications where mid-high rpm was constant....not for something that idles at a redlight or is stuck in traffic at 2000rpm for a while
                          There goes Ricky, always bringing things back down to earth

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

ITB's are good for going all N/A setup. Everyone is right though, they are hard to tune, actually, they are a bitch-ass to tune. Firstly, you're never going to idle the way you want. ITB's are great for race setups, achieving maximum air flow, eliminating a TB, plenum & runners. You are replacing it with 4 velocity stacks and basically getting as much air to combust.

The best ive seen that co-exist with ITB setups is using MEGASQUIRT. You can successfully run ITBS, make it tunable with MEGASQUIRT and run good MAP values...probably should repace injectors while at it. check out www.pgmfi.org

Forget ITBS. They are cool, but not worth the hassle & headaches.
                            GO boost...you'll get the best bang for the buck.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                            1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Ahhh for whatever reason I can't find a dyno of the motor from the OG E30 M3...but those cars had 2.3L DOHC L4s with ITBs, and they made decent power and torque.

Yes, there are vacuum and idle issues...but wouldn't you like your Accord to sound like this? I definitely would.

Comment

Working...
                              X