Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

air breather question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air breather question

I'm wondering if an air breather will leave some oil fumes on the valve cover or on the engine..

any feedback?
    My Ride

Jas Airbrush, Custom Paint.

The answer to both your Questions is Yes! Air Breather's are pretty much pointless, and if you want to have something decent, I'd go with the "oil catch can" design. There is a How-To in the DIY section, I believe Cokinut did it a while back. Air breathers, which if you want to have one, more power to you, are not really helping or hurting anything. Sorta for looks to some degree.
    My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

thanks

I'll go for the oil catch can, I don't want oil on my airbrushed valve cover ..
      My Ride

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AccordSe91
          thanks

I'll go for the oil catch can, I don't want oil on my airbrushed valve cover ..
          weird.. i've been using breather filters for so long now and no oil on my valve cover

but i did install my DIY in-line "oil catch" filter between the IM and PCV/valve cover.
          if you're running a NA setup, those large, metal oil catch cans won't really do much either. a boosted setup has more blowback gases/oil vapors which is why some people use them.
          5.6L V8 32V DOHC
          JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

im running NA, so will having breathers help at all?
            Raceline USA

Comment

Originally posted by JDMxCB7
              im running NA, so will having breathers help at all?
              instead of running a hose from the intake piping to the valve cover(it helps build up oil vapors in the intake piping, tb, intake manifold) you can either cap it off, or use a breather. if anything, a oil-catch can or device between the PCV/valve cover and the intake manifold would benefit more.
              5.6L V8 32V DOHC
              JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                instead of running a hose from the intake piping to the valve cover(it helps build up oil vapors in the intake piping, tb, intake manifold) you can either cap it off, or use a breather. if anything, a oil-catch can or device between the PCV/valve cover and the intake manifold would benefit more.
                Yes, I have 1 breather on my valve cover to keep the intake/t/b/IM cleaner. I capped the intake inlet off. The catch can on the PCV is one the best things you can do to keep the IM clean, it works so well! Here's some pics of what I have:

---

It's also good to keep the breather VERY clean, I rinse mine out w/ gas and that does the trick to let it flow freely and not clog up.

Dan

Comment

thx guys. If I decide to cap off the intake inlet, what do I use?
                  Raceline USA

Comment

on my oem modded air box tube I plugged the hole with a 3/8" or ½" X 1" long ss bolt or you can put a breather.
                    My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by JDMxCB7
                      thx guys. If I decide to cap off the intake inlet, what do I use?
                      If you look in my 1st pic, that gray thing on my stock intake, that is a 1/2" ID Thread protector used to cover the threads on bolts to protect them from getting damaged. The hardware store is the place to get them!!! Take a knife and bevel the edge on the intake, the thread protector will go on much easier and then clamp it!!!

Dan

EDIT: stock intake would use a 1/2" ID cap while aftermarket may be 3/8" not too sure
                      Last edited by Granite CB7; 02-18-2006, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X