Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Phantom Grip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Grip...

ok, i rebuilt my tranny when i was doing my turbo project and i installed a phantom grip LSD... so far it seems to work really well.. (im running a t3 super 60 with my jdm h22 and it has super fast spool time) and i am hooking up serprisingly well... i like everything so far, however, i was just posting to see if anyone else has run the phantom grip and if you liked it or had any troubles or anything... thanks guys...

What exactly is Phantom Grip????

I was just wondering what phantom grip is?? I know what LSD Tranny is but not phantom grip

Comment

Originally posted by WHISKEYDICKS45
      I was just wondering what phantom grip is?? I know what LSD Tranny is but not phantom grip
      the manufacturer of the LSD
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
        the manufacturer of the LSD

yeah.. phantom grip is just the LSD maker.. kinda like quaife or however you spell that... but .. all the phantom grip is are two metal plates separtated by springs that you install into the diff...

anyone with any experience? i mean i like mine and it seems to work well.. but i just would like some other feedback.. thanks again..

should i post this in another section? like the FI section?
        Last edited by turboh22aakkord; 12-28-2005, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Moved to "performance tech" section.

Keep us posted on the PG's performance because not many have had experience with it on Accord applications.

Personally, I don't like the design, but I am curious on it's driveability characteristics in the real-world. I can see it performing decent on straight-aways, but I am more curious on how it does in the curves/turns.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
            but I am more curious on how it does in the curves/turns.
            it renames itself the "Phantom Slip" in turns and corners
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
              it renames itself the "Phantom Slip" in turns and corners
              Interesting. Where do you get this info from? I am curious for first-hand info.

Anyhow, I have a friend with an old skool 78 Dodge Magnum and it came with a "sure-grip" rear-end. It has the same concept for a limited slip differential using spring force to resist differentiation. I also know that PG offered (don't know if they still do) a standard (~ 650 lbs. I believe) and a race version (~750 lbs. I believe). Either way, I can see it working decent when you are going straight and perhaps that spring load is enough to resist the torque to the wheels. However, when you turn or take curves hard, the natural intention of the differential is to differentiate (meaning the two wheels go at different speeds) because the outside wheel wants to spin faster and the inside wheel slower to take the turn. Anyways, with an LSD it resists that to a certain extent (which is whatever it can hold), then it just can not take it anymore and eventually acts like a standard or open-diff.

Anyhow, my questions are in regard to the PG performance around corners & curves in the real-world. How well does it resist differentiation?

Comment

wow after reading that paragraph my hondafan Im thinking im seriously WRONG on what I thought LSD actually did. I thought it helped the outside wheels spin more freely and faster than teh inside wheels to help "push" you around the corner...kinda like how the quattro system works in audi...pushes more power to the outside wheels to pull you thru the corner..

you're saying that LSD actually is attempting to make both the inside and outside wheels spin more to the same speed?

Comment

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm heres my answer to a question also buy a quaife forget about phantom grip

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm heres my answer to a question also buy a quaife forget about phantom grip
                    Yea, IMO if you get a LSD, get a Quaife style one, beats anything on the market hands down. I would even choose it over a clutch-style one because the clutches will wear over time and loose their performance. You also get chatter issues, unless you use a good friction modifier in the lube.

Comment

yea but if your not fully buildin the engine for crazy abuse and power and your on a budget, the PG seems like a good deal ya kno.... i mean shyt, if your puttin down over 250-300WHP, the PG might not be worthy, but for lighter modifications and low boost and such, maybe the PG is an easy and cheap solution at less than half price of a quaife if i recall the quaife bein around $900 and a PG bein around $300-400?? like since i'm considering leavin my block as is and just runnin up to like 10psi and 250WHP or so, i would much rather spend like $400 and get fairly damn good improved over oem performance, than spendin $900 for the absolute best u kno?

Comment

i'm happy to read that Quaife is the wiser choice
                        I too have heard that the PG dif sucks on hard turning

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                        11.68 @ 127mph
                        417whp/375wtq
                        Sold: 8/2016

Comment

my friend has it on his civic si(eg) he hasnt had any problems at all. he doesnt corner hard at all. what i will do is call him tomorrow (today) rather and ask him how he likes it.

Comment

A quick google and this is what i've come up with. You'll find alot more info on honda-tech. If your just drag racing it'll be fine but if your roadracing or autocrossing you'll be very disappointed. I'm a bit concerned with the way it works too. It may actually be safer for me to take the chance with the obx lsd lol.

http://crx.honda-perf.org/forums/crx...ff7603ce38e45e
                            http://philadelphiadsm.com/forum/vie...27b6cc132a35a2
                            http://g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17689
                            http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=682543
                            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

thanks for all the responses guys... the reason i started the post was to see if anyone had run into any problems as far as the product blowing up and or messing up the diff or anything... as far as the quaife goes... obvyously thats the best one out there.. but its not cheap haha... and my views on how a true LSD should operate are a little different then some of you guys views anyhow... (i am just a drag car type anyhow) but.. an when a car corners the one of the wheels (the outside i believe) will be spinning faster then the inside.. and that is why a true limited slip diff. will pull apart/ allow this to happen. if it doesnt and the LSD keeps the dif. locked you will get some tire squealing and shit like that.. ( i had a toyota mud truck that i welded the spyder gears in the rear... "LSD all the time ) and when i would corner the inside tire would squeal and drag becasue it was going slower then the outside wheel. the same thing would happen if the LSD in our hondas didnt release in corners. I just thought i would try to clear that up ... but some of my views/ info probably isnt 100%... thanks for your info though guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X