Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Bypassing the EGR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never been to Texas have you?

Also, just to clear up a misconception stated in the beginning of this thread, an EGR valve does not circulate exhaust back into the combustion chamber to be reburned. The gases recirculated are inert(they don't burn). It theoretically cools off the combustion chamber in addition to partially filling it so less fuel has to be sent to the engine. So, less fuel consumption=more gas mileage. But, it isn't on at idle, under acceleration, or WOT.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
      Never been to Texas have you?
      No, never, but that's the closest, most commonly known shape to describe it, it sorta does "resemble" Texas though in a small way unless I'm totally wrong

Comment

Just curious about something...where does the lines go when you block these plates? also don't you get a code thrown when they are not plugged in? My dash looks like a Christmas Tree any how cuz my aftermarket taillights throws the brakelamp light...my ABS brain shit the bed so its unplugged and the light is on...and the most annoying light of them all SEAT BELTS...lmao
        Eric
        www.myspace.com/cb7tuner06

Painted but still "Under Construction"

Comment

Originally posted by project93accord
          Just curious about something...where does the lines go when you block these plates? also don't you get a code thrown when they are not plugged in? My dash looks like a Christmas Tree any how cuz my aftermarket taillights throws the brakelamp light...my ABS brain shit the bed so its unplugged and the light is on...and the most annoying light of them all SEAT BELTS...lmao
          Well, if you just unplug the EGR valve, you'll throw a code in about 5 mins w/ the stock PT3 or PT6 ecu. You'd have to get an ecu the doesn't look for EGR like the P06, for example. My EGR valve is way down by the rear crossmember, but is still hooked up and everything.

Comment

so make the block off plate and just bolt it in place with the egr valve to by pass it...i live in the land of the cold ass winter so the other block off is out of the question...lol

thanks
            Eric
            www.myspace.com/cb7tuner06

Painted but still "Under Construction"

Comment

you can also leave the egr valve and lines all plugged in and hang it out of the way. don't get excited about crazy gains in power bypassing the egr though, after all unless it is stuck open it doesnt hurt performance at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
                better off using something like an 8th inch thick. plus it looks better.
                I used two layers of root beer can. The next time I took it off the gases had blown a hole through the middle. Use REAL metal.
                -Jay

Comment

if i only had time to mass produce these in metals shop
                  retail jobs suck
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Anyone get spark knock from the blocked EGR? I heard that the O2 sensor reads off it and it could lean out the fuel mixture if it's blocked off?

Any adjustments need made on ignition timing as well?

Any input?
                    Last edited by HondaFan81; 03-23-2006, 02:04 PM.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

take a look at a p13 timing map, specially in the regions when the egr would be active. its a LOT of advanced timing.

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
                        take a look at a p13 timing map, specially in the regions when the egr would be active. its a LOT of advanced timing.
                        In other words, it's better to just clean the EGR passages/ports and reinstall it in operating manner. That what you mean Willie? I got these questions from talking with my mechanic friend at work and it made sense what he was saying, so it pondered me to why people do this block-off.

Comment

dan ill be talking to u for a long time at the uconn meet ill pay u if u make me one of those plates too

Comment

I just don't like the idea of recirculating burnt gases back into my intact tract to carbon crap up, so that it over time restricts my air flow. Well, on my red project I will keep it since it will retain stock-like compression. However, on my white project I think I'll look into it further when I get to that point. But I would like to block it off, but do it properly. I am going chipped ECU so perhaps in coordination with that, I can work something out.

Comment

using a computer that is designed to use the egr system, onc that at this time cannot disable it, and then going and physically disabling the system means that to do it right you would reprogram your timing maps and fuel maps to reflect that the engine is no longer operating teh way it was designed. if recirculatd exhaust gases allow for a cooler chamber, reduced NoX emissions, reduced fuel usage, knock reduction, then what the timing maps show me is that honda advanced the hell out of the timing when the egr is supposed to be open.
                              Just because you cannot hear knock does not mean its not occurring. Part of me suspects that faulty or bypassed egr systems are a possible causer of broken ringlands that are fairly common in h22 engines.

My feeling is that disabling the egr system is done as cheap ass method of avoiding fixing it in many cases. I twill NEVER rob your car of power if it works right.
                              If it is being removed/bypassed in the name of performance than my feeling is not just remove it, also change to a non egr computer. That way you reduce all risk of part throttle detonation/heat damage.

Comment

i removed mine a few years ago simply to get it out of the way and to avoid replacing it...........not a performance reason though......i was running a chipped p28 that was programmed to work like this though.......

Comment

Working...
                                X