Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ebay 1.45 lbs crank pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebay 1.45 lbs crank pulleys

i just placed a bid for a 23 crank pulley..comes to around 40 after shipping n handling..i figure this is the best route to go..as i dont want to fork over 200 bucks for AEM or underdrive..any of you guys got the lightweight underdrive pulley from ebay??>.

i got the pully from ebay, baught it for like 15 so like 30 with shipping, waaaay lighter that other one like 10 or more pounds lighter, and its smaller too, i had fun installing it lol hammer and a lot of strength helps out
    92 CB7 *Sold $3300 102K Miles 4 door LX

94 Del Sol *Baught $3300 80K Miles on chasis
    and 60K miles on b18b1 motor swap

Comment

Originally posted by Neriah06
      i got the pully from ebay, baught it for like 15 so like 30 with shipping, waaaay lighter that other one like 10 or more pounds lighter, and its smaller too, i had fun installing it lol hammer and a lot of strength helps out
      umm think it was worth it, no , yes , maybe
      h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
      New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Yes, it was worth it, as long as you have a torque wrench and can install it youself, i like the lightweight aspect little power but power non the less and for about 1-3 HP for 40 bucks plus the cost of new belts is VERY awesome
        92 CB7 *Sold $3300 102K Miles 4 door LX

94 Del Sol *Baught $3300 80K Miles on chasis
        and 60K miles on b18b1 motor swap

Comment

nice, ill look into them too
          h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
          New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by Neriah06
            Yes, it was worth it, as long as you have a torque wrench and can install it youself, i like the lightweight aspect little power but power non the less and for about 1-3 HP for 40 bucks plus the cost of new belts is VERY awesome
            did you notice any change in acceleration??...any torque hp gain .noticable??

Comment

lmao ok for one thing prob one of the worst ideas u can go for.....ebay crank pulley lmao too funny....don;t be surprised if your engine fails.....see if u can find the manufacter of this 1.45lb pulley. it most likely not balanced and the material prob not the same as the good stuff. 2) the stock crank pulley only weighs 5lbs 10oz. the UR pulley only weighs 1lb 1.8oz. 3) the hp gain is on average 2.7hp for ever pound lost of the crank. so almost 5lbs lost=minimum of 10hp gain and even more if u have other modifications. torque gains of 6-10. 4) when u go for vital parts for your engine, u never go the cheap route.

if anyone has any questions just ask....or pm me

o and btw it was prob the best modification i have done so far! huge difference in acceleration, revs up to 6k rpms with ease, smoother idle, smoother acceleration, faster 1/4 times, just freakin insane....i also got the pulley set from UR(crank, p/s, and alternator)
              Last edited by accrdpower; 10-31-2005, 05:15 PM.
              My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                lmao ok for one thing prob one of the worst ideas u can go for.....ebay crank pulley lmao too funny....don;t be surprised if your engine fails.....see if u can find the manufacter of this 1.45lb pulley. it most likely not balanced and the material prob not the same as the good stuff. 2) the stock crank pulley only weighs 5lbs 10oz. the UR pulley only weighs 1lb 1.8oz. 3) the hp gain is on average 2.7hp for ever pound lost of the crank. so almost 5lbs lost=minimum of 10hp gain and even more if u have other modifications. torque gains of 6-10. 4) when u go for vital parts for your engine, u never go the cheap route.

if anyone has any questions just ask....or pm me

o and btw it was prob the best modification i have done so far! huge difference in acceleration, revs up to 6k rpms with ease, smoother idle, smoother acceleration, faster 1/4 times, just freakin insane....i also got the pulley set from UR(crank, p/s, and alternator)
                info appreciated.... i think its made out of the same material as AEM n UR...6061 aluminum billet..same thing as megan strut bars....
                im gonna go the cheap route on this one..ill tell you if i blow an engine...or if AEM and UR are just overpriced hype! i mean i had the AEM CAI ..and i really enjoy yet its uber expensive..when i could have got an e-bay one..to do the same thing... with problaby a 1-2 hp diff....

im looking to see how well she accelerates with it on...

also i removed my PS pump so i dont need a whole set....i did notice acceleration gains when i removed my PS pump!! and my car handles better IMO..

Comment

well the big issue is balancing.....a pulley is wicked different than a intake. intake is just piping. pulley is material, balancing, correct size/shape, and in this case something u don't want to go the cheap route on......i'm sure if u did a search on this that u would find loads of people that would do nothing but UR pulleys. aem does not give the power gains like UR. overly expensive???? hell no. lol i paid little under 260 for mine and for well over 12hp, better pickup, better acceleration, better mpg, smoother idle, smoother reving, higher reving, just a great mod. and the weight off the crank saves the life of the engine. instead of trying to move a 5.xx lb object it only has to move a 1.xx lb object= less strain on engine. let me know how that ebay pulley is....long run too!
                  My members ride thread

Comment

I wouldnt do it personally. Those things arent balanced the way OEM ones are and could ruin the motor.

Comment

even thought the engine is internally balanced via the harmonic balancer....u have to have a the pulley itself be balanced.
                      My members ride thread

Comment

The engine is actually balanced by balance shafts... and that crank pully will not mess your car up by any means.... you can by all means go the cheap route. Just remember, you do get what you pay for and like they said, if it isn't manufactured right then it could possibly crack/fail (highly doubtful on that). It would not mess up your crank, however. The best bet in my opinion would be to take it to a local machine shop and see if it is properly balanced if that is an issue to you.

Comment

My philosophy is...the engineers would not make the crank pulley weigh so much, if they could have made it lighter without sacraficing reliablitly. But thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                            My philosophy is...the engineers would not make the crank pulley weigh so much, if they could have made it lighter without sacraficing reliablitly. But thats just me.

well think of it this way, do a little experiment. take the stock crank pulley, put it on your finger and try to spin it....hard as hell and my finger hurt after 5 sec lol. put the aftermarket pulley on your finger and repeat.....so fucking easy. i coulda done it all day. this means their is less stress being put on the engine....less stress=less wear. simple as that. so u r saying that lighter pistons and lighter parts are less reliable???????????? hmmmm i guess the aftermarket is fucking us all with their less reliable parts. in fact aftermarket parts last longer than stock parts in many applications if installed correctly and not abused just think about it....most of the parts in the aftermarket are lighter yes but still made to or exceed OEM specs. thats my 2 cents worth
                            My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                              I disagree. Often stuff (pulley or any other part) is heavier than it could be because it would cost more to make it lighter. You could take the car part for part and spend a little more on each part to make it as light as posible without sacrificing reliability, but as a manufacturer you'll end up with an overpriced car (see 'Enzo Ferrari').

That being said I tend to agree with the people who say "don't mess with the OEM Crank pulley".

Comment

Working...
                              X