Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

XTD clutches... I'm about to buy one, but which one is right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XTD clutches... I'm about to buy one, but which one is right?

XTD clutches are cheap on eBay, and I know there are a few people on here who are running them.

Now, I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get an XTD clutch and the XTD 12lb flywheel on ebay. However, I'm not sure what stage clutch I'm going to want!

There is about a $50 difference between the Stage 1 and Stage 3.

The descriptions aren't that great, so I'm not quite sure what's what... however, I'm sure that any of them could handle my somewhat-stock H22. I don't intend for this clutch to last until I build the motor, so when the build happens, I'll get a REAL clutch I just want something cheap and stronger than stock right now... the flywheel is just because.

So, what I want is this:
    -Something strong enough for occasional racing, and up to 200-220 whp (I don't dream of exceeding 220 in the lifetime of this clutch)
    -Something that won't kill me in a daily driver... in traffic, on occasional joyrides, etc... I drive A LOT!
    -Something that will last a while... say, 40,000 miles at least. My stock clutch has lasted twice that (if my motor really had 35k on it when I got it...) and I've beaten it to death!

If the Stage 1 won't handle the power, I don't want it. If the Stage 3 is overkill, I don't want it. If the Stage 2 is extremely similar to one or the other, I'd rather just forget it... the price is VERY close to the Stage 3 price for the Stage 2 anyway!

A little help would be great. I'm hoping to hear from those that are using XTD stuff now! Please, if you have no experience with this brand, and just want to say "why don't you buy an ACT" or something equally useless, please don't bother. I KNOW this isn't a top quality clutch, but it'll suit my purposes.

i have the XTD Stage 3 mated to a fidanza 8.5pd. flywheel and i have no problems w/ it for daily driving, even when i drive in the city. BUT it was a PITA during the break-in period, mainly coz of the lightened flywheel. engagement was firm, not too heavy on the pedal either. when i head back down to Pomona or A.C., we'll try to meet up again and you can drive my cb7 and see how the clutch feels.
    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

You're one of the few I know with XTD. I was hoping you'd see this!

We definitely have to meet up soon! If we start planning now, it might happen by spring! (seems like we're always too busy to catch each other at the right times...)

The Stage 3 isn't too tough on the leg though? How's the engagement now, after the break-in? Is it instant, or do you have a little to play with (moving in stop-and-go traffic is SO much easier when you feather it a bit!) How about longevity? I know you rarely drive your car, but have you heard anything about the wear properties of the Stage 3? I heard once that the racier a clutch is, the faster it wears out when used in daily driving...

Comment

I've got the XTD stage 1 and ACT 12lb flywheel. My H23 makes about 150-160 whp *dreamer* and I've given this clutch a good beating and it works fine. No slipping or anything. The petal is very light, but still solid. Only complaint is a light flywheel gets annoying in stop and go uphill traffic. Other then that it's good. Stage 1 is "supposed" to handle 290hp. If you don't plan on putting out more then 220 whp, a stage 1 would probably hold, but I'm sure a stage 3 would work great too (people like to hear things like stage 3 anyway)
        Originally posted by DoctorCipher
        ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Very true! Stage 3 is just more impressive! And it looks cooler! (like ANYONE would ever see it once it was installed... )

I'm wary about the manufacturer's claim on horsepower capabilities. The Exedy Stage 1 clutch for the H22 technically only holds about 230whp... maybe less. Makes me wonder how the hell a cheaper clutch could possibly reliably hold 290 in the lower stages! Plus, if you look at the aimcoclutch auctions on ebay, it says all 3 stages hold 290! Typo? Or crappy advertising?

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderTrax
            If you don't plan on putting out more then 220 whp, a stage 1 would probably hold, but I'm sure a stage 3 would work great too (people like to hear things like stage 3 anyway)
            gotta remember the stage 3 uses a 6 puck copper-ceramic disc as opposed to the organic disc.
            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

I have the XTD Stage 2 Clutch with the XTD 12lb flywheel. The break-in period for this clutch took some time for me to get used too. The clutch felt like it was slipping during the break-in period, but after about 600 miles it began to feel stronger. I have about 1200 miles on the setup now and I am enjoying it alot. My F22B pulls alot harder now (maybe because my old clutch was naked like a Paris Hilton Video). I didn't feel the need for a Stage 3 clutch due to my setup and I wasn't too sure about the durability of a stage 1, so I went in between .

Comment

Well deeve, I'm personally installing a XTD Stage 3 6 puck clutch with a XTD 12lb fly wheel...my setup is a dsm turbo setup hopeing for power in the reange of 225-250hp.

Yea, I thought I let you know...
                My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEX
                  Well deeve, I'm personally installing a XTD Stage 3 6 puck clutch with a XTD 12lb fly wheel...my setup is a dsm turbo setup hopeing for power in the reange of 225-250hp.

Yea, I thought I let you know...
                  You're the other one I had in mind You haven't run it yet though, right?

I'm probably just going to order the Stage 3... Since the only feedback I've gotten for the Stage 1 and Stage 2 are from 160hp motor owners, and the one other H22 guy has the Stage 3, it seems fitting! The 2 is only about $8 less than the 3 anyway.

Oh yeah, since I'm cheaping out, I'm considering a Phantom Grip as well Some form of LSD is better than nothing, right! I'm too damn broke to afford anything else, and I might as well just do everything at once.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    Oh yeah, since I'm cheaping out, I'm considering a Phantom Grip as well Some form of LSD is better than nothing, right! I'm too damn broke to afford anything else, and I might as well just do everything at once.
                    phantom grip gets my stamp of approval...o and just get the stage 3

ooo and ps, i am selling a stage 3 clutch...no flywheel but make an offer, it is a 'clutch specialties' clutch that was sold to me bc 'he could gaurentee this would kick the shit outta the ebay stage 3's"

let me know
                    Last edited by high c; 10-25-2005, 08:58 PM.
                    My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

My opinion doesnt really count cuz i havent had a chance to drive my car yet after engine swap with the new xtd stage 1 and 12lbs flywheel, but i will tell you taht i've driven in in and out of my drive way/garage and engagement is Smooth as ever!!!!12lbs really didnt stall me out yet and i'm only driving stick for like 4 months.Engagement is very smooth but solid as stated by another member here.I would deffinatly thing that it would hold the power you want.

ILBB
                      People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                      The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        You're the other one I had in mind You haven't run it yet though, right?

I'm probably just going to order the Stage 3... Since the only feedback I've gotten for the Stage 1 and Stage 2 are from 160hp motor owners, and the one other H22 guy has the Stage 3, it seems fitting! The 2 is only about $8 less than the 3 anyway.

Thanks man, nice to be thought of from time to time. I'm installing the clutch as we speak...it's taking me longer than I wanted to because I don't know what i'm doing.
                        My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Working...
                        X